• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola UHF 1/4 wave mobile (HAE4003)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening I wanted to know if anybody had any good perfermance with this antenna. I also wanted to know if I mount the antenna it is suppose to get further range. Is that right?

Thank you

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's a good 1/4 wave antenna. Motorola doesn't make them, but it's usually one of the big manufacturers.

It's an NMO base, so it will need an NMO mount. The design of that mount, magnetic, permanent, trunk bracket, etc. is up to you.
As for getting "further range", it really depends what you are comparing it to. If you are using a hand held in a car with the flexible antenna, you will see an improvement by switching to this antenna outside the car, on the UHF bands.

I used these for a number of years on GMRS.

Shop around for the best price. As mmckenna said, Motorola doesn't make that antenna. HRO or AES will have it so compare prices.

I just bought (4) Comtelco 1511B. At UHF it would be the same length as the model you're looking at, but due to it's spring, base, and whip diameter, it's more broad banded. It's built like the proverial brick s'house.

n5ims

What is the antenna that is simular to this antenna but cheaper?

Since they're just a quarter wave UHF antenna, you'll get similar results with a 6" (or so, depending on your specific frequency) wire with the mount of your choice.

cmdrwill

Anthony,

If you have a NMO antenna mount, it will be compatible with a whole bunch of antennas. So you can put most any antenna made for the NMO mount on your vehicle . Like your big UHF antenna or the short 6" rod HAE4003.

The HAE4003 IS a 450 - 470 unity gain mobile antenna complete with the NMO mount/cable.

Anthony,

If you have a NMO antenna mount, it will be compatible with a whole bunch of antennas. So you can put most any antenna made for the NMO mount on your vehicle . Like your big UHF antenna or the short 6" rod HAE4003.

The HAE4003 IS a 450 - 470 unity gain mobile antenna complete with the NMO mount/cable.

That is cool thanks for the information I didnt know that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Probably used one of those at some point in my career. Just your basic "chrome nut" quarter wave UHF antenna. It's going to perform as well as any of the other commercial grade 1/4 wave whips.

BonziBuddy

Good evening I wanted to know if anybody had any good perfermance with this antenna. I also wanted to know if I mount the antenna it is suppose to get further range. Is that right?

Thank you
Further range as opposed to what? a portable inside a vehicle?

Sure It will work better. Your receive will improve, and your TX will be better than a portable inside the vehicle was. If the frequencies your using allow it, you could add a cheap commerical ebay 5w to 50w amplifier if you want to beef things up a bit.

If you want to take it a step further, and antenna size does not matter, you could always get an antenna with more gain. With more gain you will send your signal more toward the horizon and less into space. A common public safety antenna which will have more gain than that 6" unity gain 1/4 wave antenna that you suggested is the PCTEL MWU4002S, commonly referred to by it's Tessco part number 85825. When mounted on a metal surface it will have 2db of gain.

If your not a fan of it's design, you can always find another model
https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProducts.do?groupId=90270&subgroupId=91069#next

Did anybody try the antenna that is about the same to this one? The Laird QW450.
Same antennas, except one of them you're paying extra for that Motorola logo

Status
Not open for further replies.