• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola UHF CT150 Business Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

conve36

I have an older Motorola CT150 UHF business radio I would like to use with a GMRS repeater...

Link to info on this radio - http://www.aaacomm.com/motorola_ct150.htm

Would this radio work well with a repeater? Powerful enough? Any idea how close I would have to be to the repeater? (This is a 2-watt UHF)

I do not know too much about repeaters and how they work so your comments are very helpful.

Thanks!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Depends on the repeater as to how far away you can be. I could have 440 repeaters that are three miles away but if they are at 10' then they won't do much good. But, a repeater at 1000' will do quite a bit better.

The condition the repeater is in also effect it, feedline, antenna, etc all add up to how well a repeater works.

Astro25

If it's UHF (presumably "R" split, give us the model number) then yes it'll do GMRS, FRS, etc.

At 2 watts it'll suffice if the repeater you are trying to talk to is in your town, and as Grog mentioned, at a decent height.

n1das

Depends on the repeater as to how far away you can be. I could have 440 repeaters that are three miles away but if they are at 10' then they won't do much good. But, a repeater at 1000' will do quite a bit better.

The condition the repeater is in also effect it, feedline, antenna, etc all add up to how well a repeater works.

Height Above Average Terrain (HAAT) also makes a HUGE difference.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Height Above Average Terrain (HAAT) also makes a HUGE difference.

I should have worded it like that, I forget some idiots use their hight above sea level which only makes sense to me when you like at sea level. We have a local repeater where the trustee states it in ASL even though this area is around 800-1000' above sea level anyway. He is a typical old fart ham though.

I wonder if some repeater owners just use ASL to make their e-repeater-peen feel bigger :lol:

conve36

Here is a picture from my house, circled is where the "repeater" is. AKA Elsinore Peak. So I DO have a good line of sight, which is great right?

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 151

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Here is a picture from my house, circled is where the "repeater" is. AKA Elsinore Peak. So I DO have a good line of sight, which is great right?

try it, thats the only way you will know
looks good line of sight, quite hike though, barely make out the mountain range,try it and you will see
.5 watt FRS bubbles are rated at 25 miles, and those are tested in line of sight desert, so it should work!
so a 2 watt should work

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.