• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola VRM-650

Status
Not open for further replies.

cronxeh

Hi,

I was wondering if there is some kind of special terminal program I should be using to access this modem?

I've been trying to connect to it using Putty at 9600, 8-bit, no parity, 1 stop mode.

Whenever I try to connect it just shows a blank screen

Any advice please?

cronxeh

How do I enter the frequency to connect to? I cant find a manual for this modem anywhere

cronxeh

Can somebody just give me a direct answer without asking questions pretending to be an expert. How do I make this radio connect to a frequency? What freeware/shareware/opensource software can I use to communicate with the modem.

Thank you

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Cripes. Calm down. We need to know what you're trying to do, in order to answer your question. Now that I know what you're trying to do, I can give you an answer:

There is no freeware/shareware/opensource program available to program the radio. You need to get specific software from Motorola. I believe the VRM 650 is based on the MCS2000 mobile radio, so that software is what would be required.

You're welcome.

cronxeh

Cripes. Calm down. We need to know what you're trying to do, in order to answer your question. Now that I know what you're trying to do, I can give you an answer:

There is no freeware/shareware/opensource program available to program the radio. You need to get specific software from Motorola. I believe the VRM 650 is based on the MCS2000 mobile radio, so that software is what would be required.

You're welcome.

Please stop replying to this thread, you've contributed absolutely nothing of substance

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Please stop replying to this thread, you've contributed absolutely nothing of substance

That's incorrect. You just missed it. I'll happily repeat it for you:

There is no freeware/shareware/opensource program available to program the radio. You need to get specific software from Motorola.

I'm sorry if that's not the answer you were seeking. But it IS the correct answer. Good luck.

Mr_Observer

You will need a program called "WINRSS" to program the modem. It is a Motorola product. There is no shareware that will read or write to the modem. You will need the MCS2000 tuner to test and align the radio RF components.

cronxeh

Ok for those who stumble upon this page in the future, what you need is RIB box RLN4008 (40 bucks on ebay), an old laptop that has a floppy drive, a DOS 6.22 (Bootdisk.Com - Free Windows Bootdisks, Free DOS boot disk), and MCS2000 MCS RSS Ver R05.00.00 you can get as a torrent. I really hope Motorola goes bankrupt oneday as one of the most useless p.o.s companies out there.

1. Make bootdisk, boot under DOS 6.22
2. Copy the RSS to 2 floppies, disk 1 and disk 2.
3. Install the RSS
4. Connect DB9 male to DB25 female cable (Radioshack Cat. No. 26-287) to the RLN4008 RIB
5. Connect DB9 male to RIB and DB9 female to the serial port on your computer
6. Launch the RSS and program in the frequencies

That is how its done. Dont waste your time looking for WinRSS you wont find it, its probably going to cost you money. Dont try to program it directly without the RIB, it wont work. You need RIB to program in the frequencies but you dont need RIB to use it later.

Luis_R

Ok for those who stumble upon this page in the future, what you need is RIB box RLN4008 (40 bucks on ebay), an old laptop that has a floppy drive, a DOS 6.22 (Bootdisk.Com - Free Windows Bootdisks, Free DOS boot disk), and MCS2000 MCS RSS Ver R05.00.00 you can get as a torrent. I really hope Motorola goes bankrupt oneday as one of the most useless p.o.s companies out there.

1. Make bootdisk, boot under DOS 6.22
2. Copy the RSS to 2 floppies, disk 1 and disk 2.
3. Install the RSS
4. Connect DB9 male to DB25 female cable (Radioshack Cat. No. 26-287) to the RLN4008 RIB
5. Connect DB9 male to RIB and DB9 female to the serial port on your computer
6. Launch the RSS and program in the frequencies

That is how its done. Dont waste your time looking for WinRSS you wont find it, its probably going to cost you money. Dont try to program it directly without the RIB, it wont work. You need RIB to program in the frequencies but you dont need RIB to use it later.

See what you can accomplish when you do research???? BTW if you would have asked the right/exact questions, I'm sure the 2 persons who tried to help you previously could have given you this info. Oh and if I'm not mistaken, you can actually use the windows version of the MCS software!!! (With the RIB, can't forget that)

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...MCS RSS Ver R05.00.00 you can get as a torrent...

That's not the most recent version, which leaves open the possibility for someone following this advice to find themselves in the position of being unable to read or write to the radio. It's one of those nice little "gotcha's" that Motorola is so famous for. If you're able to program with that version, you lucked out.

Dont waste your time looking for WinRSS you wont find it, its probably going to cost you money.

It's out there, but to use an old saying, it's easier to attract flies with honey than with vinegar.

harrisjt

Premium Subscriber
Im just currious having mangaed a large fleet of these on a 800mhz system what was accomplished in this? but i have to aggree with the first response he did give a very true and correct answer, also i wouldnt be talking about getting RSS from a torrent site...plus RSS is old.

Status
Not open for further replies.