Motorola vs. ProVoice: Does our hobby have a future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
If you buy a Provoice radio you have to know the ESK. The radios go alot of money... If there will be a Tracker5 who knows if that does come out with Provoice than again will the sacnner ahve ESK on it and it might be over 600 bucks for the radio.... If that happens I'll wait for awhile before I get one since its a high price for 500 bucks now. I have to get Flagler Co TG I'll scan them start Wed when I head home I live near it not sure how well I'll pick it up.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"If you buy a Provoice radio you have to know the ESK."

That would be true if the system you want uses ESK. Many don't.

Mozilla

Provoice

Actually the origianl poster mixed two types of systems.... M/A COM is selling both ProVoice and OpenSky. OpenSky is the system to be used by Pennsylvania, and has been order by several other areas. Florida is more of a fluke on encrypting the entire system. I don't see other groups doing that as much. While M/A Com mentioned it might build a OPENSKY limited receiver for vounteers and other approved users, has anyone seen one yet ???

JohnnyGalaga

Banned
N_Jay said:
Yes and No.

The it would have to be "Clean Room" revers engineered. That is usually not a big problem, EXCEPT the vocoder is from DVSI.

Since VOCODER patents/copyrights are all that DVSI has, it is in their best interest to protect them very well.
Okay, enlighten me here. What is a VOCODER and what is "DVSI" ?

Thanks!

JohnnyGalaga

Banned
rdale said:
"If you buy a Provoice radio you have to know the ESK."

That would be true if the system you want uses ESK. Many don't.
But there is a version of trunker called ESK that decodes the control channel properly without having to know what the ESK is. Doesn't that make it feasable to make a scanner that can track ESK without the user having to enter the ESK? :cool::D:lol::):p

ke4ppj

Memphis + Shelby County just rolled out their new Motorola P-25 system. The county dumped its EDACS system and the city dumped it's VSLEP system.

Status
Not open for further replies.