• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola wideband UHF antenna

WPXS472

Some years ago, Motorola made a whip for portables that was actually wideband. The normal UHF whip is only really effective over a fairly narrow band of frequencie, those near where it works as a quarter wave. However, Motorola made one that had some kind of network at its base that allowed it to work over the entire 450-470 band. An acquaintance with a Motorola parts account ordered one for me, and I verified it worked over a wide range with a network analyzer. Years passed, and I no longer have it. I would like to get another, but don't know the Motorola part number. Can anyone provide that? I would really appreciate it.

WPXS472

Appreciate the part numbers. When I did a search on those part numbers, results showed some different looking antennas. I ordered one that looked like the one I had before. The specs say it is 5.5" long. I remember the one I had being a little shorter than most UHF whips. It seems to be out of stock. The place I ordered from said they had to order it from Motorola. We'll see. Anyway, thanks for the assist.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
450-470 is not "wideband" by any measure, so you might be thinking of an antenna other than the two actual wideband whips mentioned earlier in the thread. What radio series are you referring to? XTS? XPR? Other?