Motorola wins new slers contract!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
im not forsay disputing his knowledge im just stating that he is not 100% accurate about the SLERS security and that Harris does not fully own SLERS. Yes they own a majority of the assets but they do not own the entire network. The state has the final authority and control of its operation not the vendor. N4DES is very knowledgeable as I have read most of his post im just pointing out some of the things about that particular post that was not completely up to par.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
So im not sure what the big intriguing factor about this new system is to everyone.

It really doesn't matter if the public can monitor the system or not... government business is public business and those interested in such matters have the right to inquire, discuss, and protest. It's our money being spent.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
im not forsay disputing his knowledge im just stating that he is not 100% accurate about the SLERS security and that Harris does not fully own SLERS. Yes they own a majority of the assets but they do not own the entire network. The state has the final authority and control of its operation not the vendor. N4DES is very knowledgeable as I have read most of his post im just pointing out some of the things about that particular post that was not completely up to par.

Read section 4.3 starting on pdf page 18. The original infrastructure, with the exception of leased sites, was totally turned over to Com-Net.

https://www.dms.myflorida.com/conte...00/725-001-01-1_Service_and_Access_Agreement_[EXECUTED_9-28-00].pdf

Section 4.3 Conveyance of Assets
In order to allow COM-NET to execute its duties and obligations, the STATE will convey to COMNET
all rights, and interests in the assets and properties descnbed below:
A. DMS Owned Tangible Equipment: All DMS Owned Tangible Equipment listed in
Schedule D is to be conveyed AS IS;
B. Existing Towers Potentially Available for Assignment The STATE will use its best
efforts to convey its rights and interests in the communications sites identified in
Schedule E and provide ground leases as set forth below. Upon conveyance, COM-NET
will assume the sites AS IS, including liabilities and expenses of the sites (subject to the
rights of any existing tenants as appropriate) and will market and share revenues
received from these sites, per provisions of Section 8.4, for a period of not less than 50
years.
The STATE will use its best efforts to:
Saa-928
September 28, 2000
Page 18
Service Agreement
COM-NET Service and Access Agreement State of Florida
(I) Assign all underlying ground leases or other instruments of conveyance to
transfer rights necessary to operate and market the towers;
(2) Make modifications to the ground leases as needed;
(3) Execute any reasonable instruments of conveyance necessary to effect such
conveyances including assignment agreements, certificates of estoppel, etc.;
(4) Have underlying property owners maintain a zero rental or nominal lease rate;
(5) Execute an Interagency Agreement by and among relevant agencies.
In consideration of the conveyances, COM-NET has reduced the amount of the
STATE's required initial contribution by $20,000,000 and will provide the STATE with
a purchase credit, for goods and services such as those in the Long Term Purchase
Agreement, of $300,000 per tower site conveyed to COM-NET, up to an aggregate
amount of$25,500,000. Nothing herein shall nullifY the STATE's obligation to use its
best efforts to convey all of the tower sites included in Section I.3E.
C. Additional State-owned Sites: The STATE shall use its best efforts to identifY
additional STATE-owned wireless communications sites for potential conveyance to
COM-NET under this agreement.
The STATE will be given consideration for such wireless communications sites in the
fonn of a purchase credit for goods and services such as those in the Long Term
Purchase Agreement, at mutually agreed upon amounts. Conveyance of any additional
sites will not be subject to the aggregate amount in Section 4.3B.
The STATE concurrently with its conveyance of any equipment shall receive from COM-NET an
appropriate security interest in such equipment, subject to any purchase money security interest
COM-NET grants to a third party.
At its option, the STATE may repurchase any of the conveyed towers 50 years from the date of
conveyance, for the sum of $ I per tower. Upon repurchase of the towers, the STATE agrees to
extend services to Third Party Subscribers and Tenants and maintain the towers as required. COMNET
will execute any reasonable instruments of conveyance as required.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
It really doesn't matter if the public can monitor the system or not... government business is public business and those interested in such matters have the right to inquire, discuss, and protest. It's our money being spent.

Not quite. Just because a government operation uses cell phones doesn't give you, as a private citizen, to demand the ability to "intercept" their calls in real time. With SLERS the State is no longer an owner and is a subscriber like they are with their cell phones. Com-Net encrypted the EDACS system to protect its investment from rogue radios showing up and interception and it is well within their ability under FCC Part 90 to do that.

A private citizen can request past recordings of their radio and phone traffic at anytime as a Public Records Request.

Mark,

Wrong again ! In fact the state does own wholly portions of the network known as the "enhancement sites" these are sites added by the state after the original contract to enhance coverage. The state built and paid for these and own them. The state intern pays a "maint" fee to Harris to keep them up. The state owns the RF the shelters, UPS, gen, everything.. There are a list of enhancement sites somewhere on the website. You are wrong on this portion, yes you are correct the "original infrastructure was conveyed" but the enhancement sites built after the inception of the contract is owned by the state. The state entered into an agreement with Harris to manage other users and the state / JTF still retain the final authority to add or deny 3rd party users.

Read section 4.3 starting on pdf page 18. The original infrastructure, with the exception of leased sites, was totally turned over to Com-Net.

https://www.dms.myflorida.com/conte...00/725-001-01-1_Service_and_Access_Agreement_[EXECUTED_9-28-00].pdf

Section 4.3 Conveyance of Assets
In order to allow COM-NET to execute its duties and obligations, the STATE will convey to COMNET
all rights, and interests in the assets and properties descnbed below:
A. DMS Owned Tangible Equipment: All DMS Owned Tangible Equipment listed in
Schedule D is to be conveyed AS IS;
B. Existing Towers Potentially Available for Assignment The STATE will use its best
efforts to convey its rights and interests in the communications sites identified in
Schedule E and provide ground leases as set forth below. Upon conveyance, COM-NET
will assume the sites AS IS, including liabilities and expenses of the sites (subject to the
rights of any existing tenants as appropriate) and will market and share revenues
received from these sites, per provisions of Section 8.4, for a period of not less than 50
years.
The STATE will use its best efforts to:
Saa-928
September 28, 2000
Page 18
Service Agreement
COM-NET Service and Access Agreement State of Florida
(I) Assign all underlying ground leases or other instruments of conveyance to
transfer rights necessary to operate and market the towers;
(2) Make modifications to the ground leases as needed;
(3) Execute any reasonable instruments of conveyance necessary to effect such
conveyances including assignment agreements, certificates of estoppel, etc.;
(4) Have underlying property owners maintain a zero rental or nominal lease rate;
(5) Execute an Interagency Agreement by and among relevant agencies.
In consideration of the conveyances, COM-NET has reduced the amount of the
STATE's required initial contribution by $20,000,000 and will provide the STATE with
a purchase credit, for goods and services such as those in the Long Term Purchase
Agreement, of $300,000 per tower site conveyed to COM-NET, up to an aggregate
amount of$25,500,000. Nothing herein shall nullifY the STATE's obligation to use its
best efforts to convey all of the tower sites included in Section I.3E.
C. Additional State-owned Sites: The STATE shall use its best efforts to identifY
additional STATE-owned wireless communications sites for potential conveyance to
COM-NET under this agreement.
The STATE will be given consideration for such wireless communications sites in the
fonn of a purchase credit for goods and services such as those in the Long Term
Purchase Agreement, at mutually agreed upon amounts. Conveyance of any additional
sites will not be subject to the aggregate amount in Section 4.3B.
The STATE concurrently with its conveyance of any equipment shall receive from COM-NET an
appropriate security interest in such equipment, subject to any purchase money security interest
COM-NET grants to a third party.
At its option, the STATE may repurchase any of the conveyed towers 50 years from the date of
conveyance, for the sum of $ I per tower. Upon repurchase of the towers, the STATE agrees to
extend services to Third Party Subscribers and Tenants and maintain the towers as required. COMNET
will execute any reasonable instruments of conveyance as required.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I already stated that I contacted DMS and they stated via email to me that they won't be making any website updates regarding the new contract until it's been signed which won't happen until some time after the new legislative session starts next year. IF it's signed. The state legislature has to approve the contract and the funds expenditure and I also have no doubt that questions will be asked and lobbying and arm twisting and begging and pleading and negotiating will occur.

Everything is speculation until a contract, whether adopted in whole or amended or in part, is signed.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Not quite. Just because a government operation uses cell phones doesn't give you, as a private citizen, to demand the ability to "intercept" their calls in real time. With SLERS the State is no longer an owner and is a subscriber like they are with their cell phones. Com-Net encrypted the EDACS system to protect its investment from rogue radios showing up and interception and it is well within their ability under FCC Part 90 to do that.

A private citizen can request past recordings of their radio and phone traffic at anytime as a Public Records Request.

My comment to another member was not in respect to monitoring the system in real-time, it's about discussing the system itself. The previous poster essentially said "why talk about it when it's going to be secure anyway," as to derail the conversation. My response: "because we can." Hope that is more clear.

And there are lots of ways public agencies stall the release of public records. Remember Pulse? They tried to say the FBI has jurisdiction of all of the local government records. Then they said it would not be released, even redacted, as it's apart of an active investigation. That was until the media outlets sued.

There are lots of examples you can find on your own. Agencies insisting on why you want the records and collecting more contact information than what is necessary in condition of releasing records is also an interesting practice.

Eugene

As far as releasing records:

"In Strong v. City of New York, the Appellate Division, First Department recently held that sanctions were appropriate in light of the NYPD’s deletion of audio recordings preceding a car accident allegedly initiated by an NYPD driver..... In addressing whether sanctions arising from the City’s failure to prevent the automatic erasure of radio run audio recordings after 180 days ...The City was placed on notice of plaintiffs’ claim and its own claimed affirmative defense within the 180 days after the recording was made,..........The City therefore had the obligation to take steps to prevent the automatic erasure of any audio recording from that incident, and its failure to do so constituted spoliation."

And second: "On November 2, 2016, the Professional Law Enforcement Association, a police union, requested Miami-Dade County Police airport cop Mark Allen's body-camera footage from the week of September 7 that year. But according to documents attached to the MDPD lawsuit, which was filed in county court March 16, a lieutenant working in "digital services" at MDPD, Luis Almaguer, said the department deleted the footage according to its 90-day "retention schedule" and isn't able to recover it."

These are but 2 examples and I'm sure there are many more if you're willing to dig. I don't know of many (not all, but many) PD's who will happily and READILY release information, especially if it portrays them in a neg. light.

Eugene KG4AVE

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Mark,

Wrong again ! In fact the state does own wholly portions of the network known as the "enhancement sites" these are sites added by the state after the original contract to enhance coverage. The state built and paid for these and own them. The state intern pays a "maint" fee to Harris to keep them up. The state owns the RF the shelters, UPS, gen, everything.. There are a list of enhancement sites somewhere on the website. You are wrong on this portion, yes you are correct the "original infrastructure was conveyed" but the enhancement sites built after the inception of the contract is owned by the state. The state entered into an agreement with Harris to manage other users and the state / JTF still retain the final authority to add or deny 3rd party users.

Here is the complete state contract so feel free to show me where as I was only able to find, in Amendment #6, that defines that the Seminole Tribe of Florida will own the SLERS sites that they occupy/utilize.

https://www.dms.myflorida.com/busin...enforcement_radio_system_slers/slers_contract

The remaining is very clear that Harris is the sole owner and there are no amendments that say otherwise to include additional towers added to the agreement, which I believe that you call them "enhancement sites" in this amendment.
https://www.dms.myflorida.com/content/download/77553/452967/SLERS_Amendment_4.Signed.pdf

RightBatwing

Lets be honest, Motorola is for infrastructure and EF, Kenwood, ect are for cheap fire department penny pinchers after they let them on the system. Its too bad other manufacturers cant supply rugged ergonomics and noise suppression like Motorola can. Also knowing everything else in FL we all know its going to be 99% encrypted so we might as well hang it up for listening in.

MSS-Dave

Lets be honest, Motorola is for infrastructure and EF, Kenwood, ect are for cheap fire department penny pinchers after they let them on the system. Its too bad other manufacturers cant supply rugged ergonomics and noise suppression like Motorola can. Also knowing everything else in FL we all know its going to be 99% encrypted so we might as well hang it up for listening in.

This comment doesn't really have anything to do with the scope of this thread, we're talking specifically about Motorola and Harris. Both companies infrastructures are top notch but there are issues with each company in various things. The way it has been with Harris, and the way it would be in the future with Motorola or Harris, you won't be having third-rate radio equipment showing up as a subscriber.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Of course they do. For the amount of money involved, you'd take it to a court fight as well.

I'm rooting for Motorola. They built the original system and by all accounts it was excellent where it was operational. Then the Good Ole' Boy Network got to work and in a very questionable deal, the system got handed over to a company that at the time was close to dying, and the contract included a lot of smoke and mirrors and even some proposals that if implemented would have actually violated federal law. (The proposal to share system capacity with commercial customers could not be accomplished as there was no way to isolate commerical customers to only the shared use section of the 800 MHz band. Many of the SLERS channels (and maybe all of them, I don't recall offhand) are in the section of the 800 MHz band that is by FCC regulation (thus, federal law) restricted ONLY to public safety use.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Harris Takes Protest of Florida SLERS Contract Award to Appeals Court
Thursday, November 15, 2018
Harris will appeal Florida’s award of a contract for a new statewide radio system to Motorola Solutions.
On Nov. 1, Harris filed a notice that it plans to appeal the Florida Department of Management Services (DMS) with Florida’s First District Court of Appeals. Under state law, Harris has 70 days, or until early January, to file a brief supporting its appeal.
https://www.rrmediagroup.com/News/NewsDetails/NewsID/17634

Allen1972

Florida State Law Enforcement system

Reading the article that this will be a Astro25 system, is it going to be a P25 Phase II system. even when the first Statewide system came online for Florida it never really worked and it was horrible. my guess is it was never built right. hopefully the new system will be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.