• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola WPLN4208B Vehicle Charger Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker7

Hey guys was looking at getting a vehicle charger and saw this and it said it has a repeater mode, what does that mean? Does it repeat signals?

Thanks in advance for any help.

krazybob

It should say that it activates an extender. An extender it's basically a low-power repeater on a different band. For example I own several VHF Astro Spectra P25 mobiles. I have the companion mobile extender. I also have a couple xts3000 handhelds. I can use the UHF to cross band out of the VHF. But it isn't cross band like amateur radio has. The receiver in the extender goes back and forth between transmit and receive so rapidly as to not interrupt the voice communication. In so doing it creates a repeater mode using one frequency. The switch on the charger activates the extender. Does this make sense?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ResQguy

Meh
The switch enables/disables whether the white wire from the molex connector is energized when the radio is removed from the charger. This can be used for a variety of functions, but the most prevalent is to activate a PAC-RT or other vehicular repeater.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
and to think I've wasted all my money buying repeaters that need to use two frequencies. Silly me.

krazybob

No sarcasm needed. A "Vehicular Repeater" can be a single frequency as in the case of the Motorola VRS. A repeater does not require two frequencies, such as a digital voice recorder that receives on the channel and once you stop transmitting to it it transmits it back. It is still a repeater. In this case we're talking of n "extender" like CHP uses. It is a one frequency device. It rapidly switches back and forth on one frequency as in the

Motorola Astro Spectra Vehicle Repeater System (vrs-ep) P2017b

MOTOROLA Astro Spectra Vehicle Repeater System (VRS-EP) P2017B – KXIndustryVault.com

I own two working units on UHF. Using a qualified radio one may also control the first 8 channels on the Astro Spectra from the HT. But lets not get in the weeds.

krazybob

I own both... P2017B Extender and a NTN9176B mobile charger.

vrs-1.jpg

vrs-2.jpg

krazybob

Direct interface with the Motorola Astro Spectra p25 110 watt mobile. I'm sure there may be other Motorola models. There are other models such as what is referred to as an PAC-RT which comes in different forms as well. Newer ones are more Converta Comms like we did in the military police corps back in the 1980s. We would just have our HT and it automatically connected us to an amplifier and external antenna while charging the handheld. I can't directly answer your question. This particular VRS commonly referred to as an "extender" is a single frequency device the transmits at 300mW and is intended for very short range communications from your handheld to your vehicle that then transmits back to your base station. Maybe another user has a better answer for you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The VRS-EP is ancient. They were superseded by the VRS750 which was superseded by the DVRS.

krazybob

You are absolutely correct. The VRS750 is the newer model but is backwards compatible with the VRS-EP. The VFRS750 is also one frequency, programmable rather than crystal controlled like the VRS-EP. The 750 also allows TX power up to 2 watts, which I agree with. 300mW is really too short. Back in my days a foot pursuit could easily go blocks and even more. But as the OP has asked the switch on the charger is usually used to activate the VRS or other device.

http://www.stealth.ae/plugins/custompages/PDF/VRS750.pdf

krazybob

I'll have what he's smoking. :)

Sorry I can't share. I don't smoke. I have attached the spec sheets for your review. As Mike has pointed out the newer model is the VRS 750, backwards compatible with the VRS-EP. This technology gives the officer the ability to override a dispatcher in an emergency and to be heard. Otherwise a busy dispatch channel would lock the officer out. In amateur radio cross band units cannot switch until the repeater hang time drops.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

That product you linked to is from a company called Futurecom. That product can be simplex, half duplex, and full duplex(as in a full on repeater, that has a mobile radio attached as a 'remote base' power is variable from 1-10w, does P25 and analogue, is transparent to encryption, and is transparent to P25 signalling as well. It can be in band or cross band.

Futurecom does not provide any support to the secondary market in any way AFAIK.

krazybob

I'm not sure what you are reading but the PDF I linked to is from Motorola Solutions - DVRS.

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/co...ducts/two-way-radios/dvrs/dvrs-data-sheet.pdf You are correct that it can be simplex, half or full duplex. I provided the specs on the VRS-EP that is readily available to hams, the VRS 750 that is still available for business or ham use, and the DVRS.

The question asked was what the Repeater switch on the charger was for. It activates the white wire on the VRS/DVRS and enables repeat mode. Futurecom does not appear anywhere in the text of the Motorola PDF. It does say, "Sold exclusively through Motorola Solutions" so you may very well be correct in who manufactures it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'm not sure what you are reading but the PDF I linked to is from Motorola Solutions - DVRS.

http://www.motorolasolutions.com/co...ducts/two-way-radios/dvrs/dvrs-data-sheet.pdf You are correct that it can be simplex, half or full duplex. I provided the specs on the VRS-EP that is readily available to hams, the VRS 750 that is still available for business or ham use, and the DVRS.

The question asked was what the Repeater switch on the charger was for. It activates the white wire on the VRS/DVRS and enables repeat mode. Futurecom does not appear anywhere in the text of the Motorola PDF. It does say, "Sold exclusively through Motorola Solutions" so you may very well be correct in who manufactures it.
Ylu are the one that posted the link. Take a look at the picture. The stylized 'F' on the chassis is the Futurecom logo.

As to the switch, if wired to the mobile, it would activate the mobile repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.