• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XE vs XE 500 remote speaker microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Was is the best RSM (Remote speker microphone) out of the Motorola XE or the XE 500? Is the XE 500 the newer model of the XE RSM's? If anyone is using the XE or the XE 500 can you please tell me about them and how you like it? How is the audio sound coming from both microphones when in use and not in use.

Thank you for your time.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
We bought XE's in 2016 for our fire agencies along with APX6000XEs. High failure rate of the mikes and cords themselves. Around 50 percent, most just out of the 1 year warranty. The lights get stuck "on", the most common failure. The XE500s are what replaced them, and so far, only 1 failure and that was due to a high temp prolonged exposure when a firefighter lost his radio in a working structure fire. The radio survived okay as it was in a Boston leather case, the antenna melted as did the mike cord and mike body but what can one expect if something gets thrown into a fire.

When you ask about audio, these mikes have good loud SPL but remember the APX requires a bit of configuration to get the audio to do what you want.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Thank you for your reply and information about the microphones. Looks like I'll be getting a XE500 for my APX 6000XE. What would you recommend for configuration for the APX and microphone to work together? All I have to do is use the APX CPS to adjust audio settings correct?

K2NEC

I have an XE RSM and to be completely honest, overall, I like it. MTS2000des has more experience in the public safety industry than I do, I just use it for personal use. But I want to chip in my 2 cents anyway.

I have a Gen 3 XE and I use it with both an APX and an XPR. When I first got the mic, it locked up every now and then and would require me to turn the radio off and on. Whenever I keyed up it kept unkeying and rekeying as I was holding the button. Both of these issues seemed to fix themselves as time went on and I am glad to say I haven't had either issue in months.

EDIT: I just remembered that the mic would also get stuck with the volume rocker. It would only go up 1 volume level and down 1 volume level and get stuck there until I did a reset. No matter how many times I pressed up it would stay at that one level. Again, haven't experienced this in months.

The LED on it is ok. Just ok. It won't light up your house and maybe it will function as a work light or if you drop your keys or something but it certainly isn't too bad. To be fair it's being powered by a radio and it's a flashlight on a mic so I can't say I expected much to begin with.

Audio quality is very good. Speaker gets loud and the dual mics work great in a high noise environment. I used the XE mic for a county fair with generators, music, fireworks, overall loud ambiance and I could be heard clearly every time (Just make sure to talk into the front of the mic and not off to the side).

I personally love the layout of the mic. Two programmable buttons is enough for me and the volume rocker is in a good spot. Works very well with gloves(as advertised) and it has a firm click to it. I always keep the top as mandown so I am left with 1 button that I use for scan/nuisance delete.

Mr_Boh

I will echo the comments of MTS2000des - seen customers go through many iterations of the XE, only to start migrating to the XE500 and have little issues. Also if you use Bluetooth, particularly for SCBA, the XE500 is better suited for the use case.

I am not a super sound guru - to my untrained ear they are the same quality wise. Haven't really done any significant testing like having FFs stand next to pump panels or through SCBA, etc., but quality wise the blow them away.

Just a personal opinion, the model with the channel selector knob is unnecessary. But I wasn't a fan of the commander mic with display either.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I'll be honest with you guys. I am coming from the XTS 5000R radios with the commander speaker microphones and setting up the APX 6000 with the XE500 for audio quality is new to me. Does anyone have XE500 microphone settings they can tell me what they use so I can test which works best for me?

Thank you!

60ASSTCHIEF

Was is the best RSM (Remote speker microphone) out of the Motorola XE or the XE 500? Is the XE 500 the newer model of the XE RSM's? If anyone is using the XE or the XE 500 can you please tell me about them and how you like it? How is the audio sound coming from both microphones when in use and not in use.

Thank you for your time.

I have both. The XE500 blows away the regular XE For both RX and TX. The XE500 has 5 microphones in it along with the adaptive audio engine. Sounds absolutely amazing. We use ours for Fire/EMS operations. Definitely worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.