• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XE500 RSM programming cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Hello everyone,

We got our hands on 5 new XE500 speaker mics for our agency, with plans to upgrade our entire fleet to these mics (they are SO awesome, well worth it!) I read a few forums about programming the firmware and using the accessory programming software to accomplish that feat. However, I cannot find a programming cable to complete this task. I read one forum that advised to connect via bluetooth, which only gives me the RSM information - nothing to allow changing or upgrading anything. I also tried a micro USB and mini USB cable and found that those are incorrect connections. It looks like it may be a Motorola proprietary connector, located where the cable would connect to the RSM. I cannot find a specific cable for this mic anywhere, anyone have any insight?

Thanks guys!
Dan

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Unfortunately, no. To me it looks like a proprietary cable that pulls out of the mic head. I tried micro USB, mini USB, and USB 3.0, all with no luck.

jmorrissey23

Hello everyone,

We got our hands on 5 new XE500 speaker mics for our agency, with plans to upgrade our entire fleet to these mics (they are SO awesome, well worth it!) I read a few forums about programming the firmware and using the accessory programming software to accomplish that feat. However, I cannot find a programming cable to complete this task. I read one forum that advised to connect via bluetooth, which only gives me the RSM information - nothing to allow changing or upgrading anything. I also tried a micro USB and mini USB cable and found that those are incorrect connections. It looks like it may be a Motorola proprietary connector, located where the cable would connect to the RSM. I cannot find a specific cable for this mic anywhere, anyone have any insight?

Thanks guys!
Dan

I've never heard of upgrading firmware on an RSM. To assign functions to the buttons and knobs, as well as set up noise cancelation all of that progaming is done in the radio's codeplug in APX CPS, the RSM itself does not plug in or connect to the computer to my knowledge.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
jmorrissey23,

It's quite interesting, Motorola does have a RSM software which appears to allow one to connect their RSM for firmware updates. I downloaded the software and actually connected my radio (while the RSM was connected to my radio) via bluetooth to my computer and it gave me some details about my RSM, and if I remember correctly, there was a box that was greyed out that said "firmware update."

This may be for the bluetooth RSMs, I'm not sure. I've definitely tweaked buttons, knobs, and noise cancellation in CPS.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Here's the APS User Guide, straight from Motorola. Sadly, it only states that "The programming cable for your particular accessory can be ordered from Motorola Solutions."
APS_User_Guide

jmorrissey23

jmorrissey23,

It's quite interesting, Motorola does have a RSM software which appears to allow one to connect their RSM for firmware updates. I downloaded the software and actually connected my radio (while the RSM was connected to my radio) via bluetooth to my computer and it gave me some details about my RSM, and if I remember correctly, there was a box that was greyed out that said "firmware update."

This may be for the bluetooth RSMs, I'm not sure. I've definitely tweaked buttons, knobs, and noise cancellation in CPS.

Interesting, learn something new everyday.

Hopefully someone else can provide some insight if it is only for the Bluetooth RSM or not.

Best of luck to ya!

hayseeds

Unfortunately, no. To me it looks like a proprietary cable that pulls out of the mic head. I tried micro USB, mini USB, and USB 3.0, all with no luck.

I wondered if it could be an old-school USB Mini-A, but was unable to check. You are probably right though, it is likely a proprietary connector. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.