• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XPR 4550 desktop microphone button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamAltenberger

Feed Provider
Hello! I work in the security department at a university campus. We use a MotoTrbo digital VHS trunked radio system for communication with our field officers. Officers in the field use Motorola XPR 6350 radios and I use a Motorola XPR 4550 base-station radio with a Motorola RMN5050 Desktop Microphone.

My question is: The RMN5050 microphone I'm using for the radio has two buttons on it. The right-side "lightning bolt" button is the PTT button to transmit, but I can't figure out what the left-side "speaker icon" button does. When I try to push it, nothing appears to happen.

Does anybody know what the purpose of the left-side "speaker icon" button is? Thanks!

See below for an image of the Motorola RMN5050 microphone I'm using:

rmn5050a_lg.jpg

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Its to monitor the channel/Frequency PRIOR to transmitting....as required by law....although today the way radios are programmed its kinda moot

SCPD

QRT
On an FM radio that has the tone programmed on the receive side, this button will open up the receive so you can hear anyone out there talking, regardless of the tone they are transmitting. Used so you don't talk over someone on the radio. Seeing y'all are running XPR's, it's safe to assume your radios are programmed digital, so like Mtnrider says, it does nothing.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
If you open up that mic (by removing the screws on the bottom plate), you'll see a number of switches. If you're holding the mic upside down with the cord facing away from you, flip the third switch from the left to the opposite position from how it is now. You'll now have PTT on both buttons.

CreteIT

If you open up that mic (by removing the screws on the bottom plate), you'll see a number of switches. If you're holding the mic upside down with the cord facing away from you, flip the third switch from the left to the opposite position from how it is now. You'll now have PTT on both buttons.

I know I'm pulling a post from the past, however do any of you know if those PTT buttons can we set to transmit on two different Channels?
Thanks and let me know.
Crete IT

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
No, that's not a capability of this microphone or any other model. One PTT signal on one channel at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.