• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XPR 5550e programmable button question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Motorola XPR 5550e that I installed in my vehicle and it works great. I am having two small issues. I have assigned the "short press" of programmable buttons 1 and 3 to control talkaround mode and high/low power, respectively. I cannot get either of these functions to work. I have ensured that all channels have "allow talkaround" selected on the channel information section. Also, curiously I can not edit these options from the radio's menu, even though I selected both to be edited by the user on the menu tab.

This is a small issue but it is something I would like to figure out as I occasionally use these features. I am using CPS 16.0 build 827. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mike

K2NEC

Just out of curiosity, what is the firmware in the radio?

Try setting your option for front programming from "user" to "dealer". Not sure if that would make a difference but I haven't had any issues with dealer.

What happens when you try to press these buttons? Does nothing happen at all or does it give you a low bonk tone?

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. Firmware version of the radio is R02.50.05

You may be on to something with the front programming selection. Mine was set on "disabled." That might be the cause.

When I try to press the buttons nothing happens at all. No bonk, no nothing. I will change the front programming to "dealer" and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks!

Mike

K2NEC

Your firmware is a little old as well. If you have the ability, I'd upgrade the firmware to nothing newer than R2.09.

If you aren't getting any noise out of the buttons is it possible that the button is bad? If the function was unable to be performed then the radio would give a low bonk tone. Unless you have alert tones disabled of course. P2 and P4 are confirmed to be working correct?

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
I don't currently have a programming cable as I use Bluetooth to program the radio. If changing that setting to dealer doesn't fix it I will consider purchasing a cable to do a firmware update. I doubt the buttons are bad. They both have long press assignments which work perfectly fine. I also sent my codeplug to a friend who uploaded it to their blank XPR 5550e and it had the same problem, so I am really hoping that changing that setting from "disabled" to "dealer" will solve the problem.

Mike

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I would get a cable. The OEM cables are relatively cheap at less than 100 dollars. Last i looked i think like 60 dollars.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
I will definitely look into getting a programming cable. @K2NEC thank you for the suggestion. Changing the front panel programming from "disabled" to "dealer" solved my problem.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.