• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XPR 6350 Portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have a Motorola XPR 6350 Portable I got from a friend to borrow, and this portable does MOTOTRBO. Me and my friend are trying to figure out how to set this radio up to use for MOTOTRBO. We want to add some SIM Channels in it, so we can talk in MOTOTRBO Mode. So this way no one will be able to hear us and also then eventually, when we figure it out, then if anyone eventually comes to us and with MotoTRBO radios, we will know how to set them up.

I just tried to enter in a SIM Channel and tried it in Digital Mode, and when I did after I loaded the radio up, and I go on that channel and key up all I get is the radio beeping back at me. So I dunno if I did something wrong, or didn't enter something in right. I have it set up for both TX & RX.

So just wondering if there is anyone on here who can maybe send me a file, to help me out to show me how to set this radio up to work in MOTOTRBO, or maybe can tell me step by step or somehow help me out, so I can get this radio working in MotoTRBO. Then we can start using these radios.

And I never played with these radios before, and especially this is my first time playing with MOTOTRBO.

So if anyone on here can help me out. I would appreciate it.

I will be waiting for any replies to this post.

SCPD

QRT
Is there anyone out there that can help me out please, so I can get these radios going and figured out. And so I can start using them in Mototrbo.

Still waiting for any replies to this post.

Thanks

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
The help files included with the CPS are quite extensive, have you read through them yet? It's possible though that you aren't setting up proper RX group lists and TX contacts. Both are needed before TRBO will work, even in simplex.

com501

There is no need for a receive group list whatsoever in a single contact simplex channel operation in MotoTrbo digital

Set TX and RX = the same frequency.

Time slot can only be 1 (slot B or 2 won't work in a version 1 radio)

Set color code the same in both radios (any CC # from 0 - 15 as long as they match)

In Contacts - Digital create a group call. Set the group call ID to any number you want that the CPS will accept.

In Channels - Zone 1 - Create a new digital channel
Put your simplex frequency in, your color code, and under TX contact name, make sure the pull down
box displays the name of the digital contact you defined in the digital contact list.

Basically that is it. That should work.

Handy tweaks: You will have lots of difficulty if you don't change the TX Admit criteria to something other than the default of 'Channel Free'. By default, this setting makes the radio wait to allow PTT until the channel has no signal on it STRONGER THAN -124. That's like 'take the antenna off noise floor'.

This is an FCC enduced feature to ensure the end user monitors the channel to prevent interference. ALWAYS is a better choice if you don't care, or Color Code Free if you share the channel with other digital users.

You can always play with the RSSI threshold and change it from -124 but I consider it babysitting by the FCC. Just look at your busy indicator instead.

Unless you want to hear MORE THAN ONE DIGITAL TALK GROUP in your contact list, there is NEVER a reason to assign a receive group list in MotoTrbo. The default programming ALWAYS assumes a receive group list equal to the transmit contact entry.

com501

Thanks for the clarification!

You are welcome!

One more important thing I forgot to mention that will ALWAYS get the newbie.

The individual ID of each radio, on the first page, CANNOT be the same as the radio you want to talk to. They will NOT communicate.

SCPD

QRT
Ok, I in the one radio, it looks like I got it to TX in Digital Mototrbo, so that one might be good to go.

Now I just have one other issue. In my 2nd portable I have, which is the same radio a Motorola XPR 6350, after I entered in the info and when I go to WRITE to Radio. I know get this error coming up: ERROR #1233 Unable to perform this operation. To proceed, register the 20/25 kHz Channel Bandwith feature in CPS.

I did the same thing in this 2nd portable, entered in everything the same, and this 2nd radio now is not allowing me to Write to it with this Digital Channel in it, where the first portable I just did loaded fine with no issues. So I dunno know why this portable is giving me this error.

What does this error mean and how do I fix this issue, is there somewhere in the software I go to, to fix this issue. Because otherwise it's not letting me write to the radio with the Digital Channel I added.

So let me know how to fix this issue and where in the software I do it, so I can get this second radio loaded and test it.

I will be waiting for any replies to this. Please.

Thanks.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I figured out why I was getting this error and got it working, so no need to reply to my last post.

Thanks again for your help.

If anything else comes up, I will ask again.

com501

Obviously one of your analog channels was set to wideband. :^). Good deal. Glad we could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.