• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR Motorola XPR-6550 Guidance

MJFritchman

Good afternoon. I’ve attempted to scroll through some threads about my two way radios, but still seem to come up empty handed.

I’m looking to purchase the reprogramming software for my radios. I have two 6550’s that communicate, but I bought a third one that obviously needs to be flashed & programmed.

CP Version 08.00.05
Firmware Version - R01.07.02

I’ve attempted to use a link for the software another use had provided in an older thread, however; the link seems to be dead.

I found someone on eBay that claims they would do the programming with no software needed, but I don’t trust that, and it won’t help me in the future.

I did download the Motorola Software that is free on Motorola’s website that another user had mentioned, but that doesn’t do my any good since I do not have a business account.

I am just getting into the HAM radio life, and attempting to get my licensing for amateur radio, but I still have more studying to do. My father used to be really big into it growing up with a huge tower on our house, and I would help him repair CB’s and tried to learn things then, but that has since passed and he is no longer with us.

I apologize for getting off topic, but I am kind of lost and this forum seems to be the only credible place to get any reliable information that I can find.

Let me reiterate, I am not asking for free software. I will purchase whatever I need to enable my radios to do more than they are locked into now, and to make them communicate for future use and emergency situations if need be.

Thank you all in advance, and I hope this post does not violate any TOS as I tried to follow info from previous threads before making this attempt.

Thank you again.

-Michael

Golay

My advice is to find a ham club in your area. Someone will either be able to program your radios, or know someone who can.

I'm also sending you a private message.

Last edited:

MJFritchman

My advice is to find a ham club in your area. Someone will either be able to program your radios, or know someone who can.

I'm also sending you a private message.
I tried that too. I live in the country now and the closest ham club is nearly 2 hours away. Batting .1000

I’ll be on the look out for your message.

clbsquared

Setting up a business account with Motorola is easy and free. Once your account is set up, just call them and request that they make MotoTRBO CPS available to you to download.

However, given the age of that radio and the fact that it is EOL, you would be better off with version 16 CPS. In either case, make sure you are using MotoTRBO CPS. That’s the only programming software that works for that radio.
You’ll also need to source a XPR 6550 programming cable.

You can also search for the CPS via Google. It’s out there.

Firebuff880

CP Version 08.00.05

Bringing that forward to R01.12.17 or finding a version of CPS that will work with R01.07.02 are both going to be a pain. I would dump it.

MJFritchman

First step is definitely getting a programming cable. You can't do much of anything without that...

I do have a programming cable I acquired a long time ago if that is the USB / attachment that screws into the side of the radio where the mic connections are.

If CPS 16 won't read that radio, CPS 10 will. The radio is well worth working on, they work very well. Programming cables are on eBay. Uses the same cable as the APX portable.
What is the difference between the two if I may ask?

KG7PBS

Good afternoon. I’ve attempted to scroll through some threads about my two way radios, but still seem to come up empty handed.

I’m looking to purchase the reprogramming software for my radios. I have two 6550’s that communicate, but I bought a third one that obviously needs to be flashed & programmed.

CP Version 08.00.05

I’ve attempted to use a link for the software another use had provided in an older thread, however; the link seems to be dead.

I found someone on eBay that claims they would do the programming with no software needed, but I don’t trust that, and it won’t help me in the future.

I did download the Motorola Software that is free on Motorola’s website that another user had mentioned, but that doesn’t do my any good since I do not have a business account.

I am just getting into the HAM radio life, and attempting to get my licensing for amateur radio, but I still have more studying to do. My father used to be really big into it growing up with a huge tower on our house, and I would help him repair CB’s and tried to learn things then, but that has since passed and he is no longer with us.

I apologize for getting off topic, but I am kind of lost and this forum seems to be the only credible place to get any reliable information that I can find.

Let me reiterate, I am not asking for free software. I will purchase whatever I need to enable my radios to do more than they are locked into now, and to make them communicate for future use and emergency situations if need be.

Thank you all in advance, and I hope this post does not violate any TOS as I tried to follow info from previous threads before making this attempt.

Thank you again.

-Michael
PM sent

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
CP Version 08.00.05

Bringing that forward to R01.12.17 or finding a version of CPS that will work with R01.07.02 are both going to be a pain. I would dump it.
I disagree. Very easy to get ahold of, and once updated it's still a very capable radio.