• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XPR 7550e speaker ticking noise on RX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOptx

Hello all:

I was very happy with my first XPR 7550, so I ordered the XPR 7550e. When I began receiving a radio call, I noticed a ticking noise coming from the XPR 7550e. Since I had both, older and current 7550 models, I was able to hear the differences. They both had a ticking noise, when the speaker opened up during receive. The XPR 7550e is a little louder, otherwise I would have never noticed it.

I contacted my authorized dealer and explained the issue. He ran it up the flagpole and was told, it was a legitimate concern. Motorola was now involved along with my authorized dealer. The Motorola Product Services team told me the following:

“There was an enhancement to the speaker manufacturing process made this year (2017). Radios with date-code 7021 and newer have the enhancement on them. The radio date-code is the 4 digit number to the right of the serial number, underneath the battery. Your radio date-code 6426 shows it was just before the enhancement was introduced.”

So... what does this mean?! Well two things.

1) I can send the XPR 7550e back to Motorola, only if it’s under warranty, and they will pull the old speaker board, and replace it with the enhanced version. I thought “e” stood for enhanced! Anyway, it will take roughly 2.5 months, from start to finish, because Motorola is so far backed up. The other option is my authorized dealer can order the part from Motorola, and repair it in a weeks time. I went with the latter option. Keep in mind, not all authorized dealers have a repair center and/or certified to work on Motorola radios.

2) What about my XPR 7550 older model?! Well Motorola discontinued the older model, plus it’s no longer under warranty, so my options are limited. This is where I wish Motorola would offer a voluntary recall or a discount towards the repair of out-of-warranty-7550’s, but I understand business, which means, I have to part with old faithful and order another XPR 7550e. Easier said then done right... Here’s my dilemma: does the speaker ticking noise bother me enough to spend that kind of money for the “e” model? Emphatically, no! It’s cheaper to pay to have the part replaced, discount or not.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I welcome your thoughts.

jcook11

Feed Provider
Interesting. I've noticed this on my 7550 (non-e) as well as my XPR5550 mobile radios. I was hoping the latest firmware would resolve it but it does not. From what you've posted it sounds like a hardware limitation that they know about. It's not terrible but for a Motorola I wasn't expecting that. I've heard this before with Harris radios. Wonder how hard it would be to replace the speaker if you could get the part. Probably hard just to get it though.

MyOptx

I may call the Motorola help desk and see if they recommend opening a ticket for the part number. It would be great if the dealer would order the part, at a fair price, and ship it out. I would rather replace the speaker board myself, instead of paying Motorola to do it. Hopefully, I will find out what the part number is, for my older XPR 7550, in the coming days. I recommend calling your local shop and getting some info. If you contact a them, please keep us updated on what you’re hearing. I will let you know what I find out, when I send my new XPR 7550e in for the warranty repair.

teufler

Do you get the clicking noise when close to an engine running or all the time.?? Is it ignition noise? Could better grounding in the vehicle solve it. Years ago I had ignition noise on a Kenwood d7400. Tried bonding straps and tried to isolate the source. Best reduction I got was drilling a hol;d in the tail pipe and running a grounding strap to the frame.

MyOptx

It’s a problem Motorola acknowledged. They have made a replacement part, for the speaker board, so I would say it’s unlikely RFI coming from the ignition, in this case. Thank you for your thoughts!

CanesFan95

This is sort-of concerning. Would this mean every one of these radios older than 7021 must go back for a warranty repair?

K2NEC

Is it all the time or with system scan on? Could the audio level be affecting it?

MyOptx

The way I was told to check it is, record the radio at the very beginning, while it’s receiving (RX) incoming audio. You were hear one tick each time it begins to receive audio. It doesn’t tick like a clock, throughout the entire QSO.

I couldn’t hear it on my older 7550 non-e until I purchased my 7550e. Because the 7550e was a little louder, I noticed the single tick at the beginning of each new incoming audio. I called Motorola and they stated, they were aware and made a fix for it.

All radios with date-code 7021 or later have the enhanced speaker board already installed. The radios made before do not. This is straight from Motorola. I’m just providing the info I received, because I hear it. If your radio is under warranty, you have the option to get the enhanced speaker board, if your radio is still under the original 2-year warranty.

MyOptx

It’s harder to hear on analog, but yes I am hearing it on both digital and analog.. My Moto-dealer will be providing me with a part number, hopefully next week. I will post it, when I have it, so others can ask about it specifically.

MyOptx

For those of you, who are interested in the part # for the speaker enhancement, the part # is AC000028A02. If your radio is still under the original 2-year warranty, you are covered for repair, through Motorola.

You will need to contact your Authorized Moto-Dealer or Motorola directly for repair and labor quotes on out-of-warranty XPR 7550(non-e) and XPR 7550e.

I found success going through the Authorized Moto-Dealer, I purchased my XPR 7550(non-e) and XPR 7550e. You may want to contact your Authorized Moto-Dealer, or Employer, depending on where, and from whom, you received your radio, for further instructions.

Enjoy your evening!

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
For those of you, who are interested in the part # for the speaker enhancement, the part # is AC000028A02.

Item Number. AC000028A02

SPEAKER,LOUDSPEAKER ELECTROMAGNETIC, 8OHM, 36MM DIA

Price is around $15.

MyOptx

Thank you, Mike! That is correct. Price is $15 and cost of labor is around $80, according to my Authorized Motorola Dealer. If you elect to do your own out-of-warranty-repair, you need to be confident that you are able to open your radio and have a good amount of soldering experience, before attempting the job.

DIY’ers should understand, you are taking all the risk, so please tread with care. If you have any doubts, in your abilities, you may want to have a Authorized Motorola Dealer handle the speaker enhancement. Check with your Authorized Dealer, because cost of labor may vary from dealer to dealer, outside of Motorola purview. Do your homework, so you have all the facts in front of you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.