• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XPR Needs to be Repaired

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachgallop

My Motorola XPR 7550 has recently encountered some issues and it is in need of repair. I am thinking it would be better to get them all fixed at one time when I replace the housing on the radio. The main issue is some of the keypad buttons do not work. It’s mainly the directional pad although the P1 button also has issues sometimes. Then OK button acts like it also getting “stuck” sometimes. Some of buttons work at times but they are also extremely difficult to press the buttons to select whatever option I would like to select within the radio. It seems the issue is really bad when it’s colder and when it gets warm it seems a lot easier to use. Would replacing the keypad with the housing resolve these issue most likely? Or is this indicative of a different issue that I would need to order different parts for or have fixed such as the keypad board? My last issue is the channel selector knob sometimes acts like it gets stuck and is sometimes very “jumpy” when selecting channels. Is this a simple fix or do I need to order an additional part to fix this issue?

Last edited:

K2NEC

It could be literally anything from the rubber of the keypad to the actual press pad to the flex connection between boards. Maybe someone else can chime in here but I don't think they repair XPR7550 non E models anymore at the depot.

The channel knob issue could be a firmware problem. What version are you on?

RadioGuy7268

Beyond the lack of factory repair support, another Motorola issue is that with any XPR radio that's more than 5 years old - the factory won't touch it until/unless you purchase a SUM License. That would cost you hundreds before you ever even think about the additional Flat rate repair costs. You end up getting a like new radio back, but it's also going to cost you a nearly new price. You would also get a radio that's been upgraded to CPS 2 - so if you've been hanging on to the older CPS 16 that might be an issue.

There are some independent repair shops out there who will replace volume pots or channel selectors at reasonable prices without the SUM nonsense, but I'd tell you pretty much the same advice as you got above - start with cleaning things up first and making sure you have a recent firmware update (R02.09.0001 or better) - and also check your battery age/condition.

There's a guy on eBay (knickerlessparsons) who might still have a few complete with keypad XPR7550 non-e housings available, but Motorola has stopped making them. The Motorola OEM version comes complete with keypad and display and takes less than 5 minutes to swap. The cheaper Chinese housings come in basic black or some other different colors, but require you to swap all of your housing guts into them.

EWC_BDN

If someone has a OEM housing and that volume control replacement and they want list price for that housing kit. You're probably looking at paying more than a replacement ebay radio.

My memory, that housing kit list price was $300+

Get a quote from a local shop and see what it is.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
You can get Chinese cheap replacement housings on Ebay. It does not take much to change them. TT

zachgallop

It could be literally anything from the rubber of the keypad to the actual press pad to the flex connection between boards. Maybe someone else can chime in here but I don't think they repair XPR7550 non E models anymore at the depot.

The channel knob issue could be a firmware problem. What version are you on?
I am running R02.09.00.0001. My CP is 14.00.13. Do you know how much the repair flex cable issue and repairing the flex connection between the board would cost approximately? Would you say a local Motorola Shop that repairs probably could do those at their normal repair rate?
If someone has a OEM housing and that volume control replacement and they want list price for that housing kit. You're probably looking at paying more than a replacement ebay radio.

My memory, that housing kit list price was $300+

Get a quote from a local shop and see what it is.
Most said they could not repair in house and would send it off to the depot, the last time I checked. I have just been able to work around the issue luckily but they are getting worse. One popular shop quoted their repair rate plus whatever the parts are. They do most of the public safety radios in the area for whatever the agencies can not or will not do themselves. Which OEM housing kits are extremely expensive. I would assume a Local Motorola Shop would not replace a Non-OEM housing even at their normal repair rate. I may be wrong on that though. Some local people with experience could probably swap the housing out. But I would definitely like to fix the keypad. That is my biggest issue. The channel selector issue is annoying but it does not majorly impact my ability to use the radio.

I am thinking possible plan is buy a Chinese housing off Amazon or EBay. Either myself or a local individual replace the housing. If the keypad issue persists after replacing the keypad and housing, I then take it to the local Motorola shop that repairs radios most of the time without sending it off the depot and see if they can fix it at their service/repair rate.

EWC_BDN

So odd that they said they couldn't repair in house. in house repair always seemed like a decent money maker. If you had decent people. you can make more per repair then sending stuff to Motorola. Motorola will even pay you for warranty work you do in house.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
So odd that they said they couldn't repair in house. in house repair always seemed like a decent money maker. If you had decent people. you can make more per repair then sending stuff to Motorola. Motorola will even pay you for warranty work you do in house.
Many shops are not doing in house repairs like they used to. The 7550 is no longer supported the depot wont touch them. You can send it to Sunny Communications they do repairs in house on EOL radios for time and materials but by the time you do that you may be better off getting a newer 7750e for less

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
... You would also get a radio that's been upgraded to CPS 2 - so if you've been hanging on to the older CPS 16 that might be an issue. ...
Or perhaps worse, they return the radio to you with a blank codeplug for reasons defying logic.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Or perhaps worse, they return the radio to you with a blank codeplug for reasons defying logic.
when they replace the board or other types of components they send it back with a default codeplug.. If you didnt save it before sending it then you have to clone it and recover the EID's I do it all the time..

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
when they replace the board or other types of components they send it back with a default codeplug.. If you didnt save it before sending it then you have to clone it and recover the EID's I do it all the time..
And if it's an APX it sometimes comes back ASK locked to some other system ID. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
SUM cost me $98 for my XPR7550E thru Noth Georgia Communications, picked up a new housing kit off of ebay for around 45 dollars not to long ago.

tropiradio

My Motorola XPR 7550 has recently encountered some issues and it is in need of repair. I am thinking it would be better to get them all fixed at one time when I replace the housing on the radio. The main issue is some of the keypad buttons do not work. It’s mainly the directional pad although the P1 button also has issues sometimes. Then OK button acts like it also getting “stuck” sometimes. Some of buttons work at times but they are also extremely difficult to press the buttons to select whatever option I would like to select within the radio. It seems the issue is really bad when it’s colder and when it gets warm it seems a lot easier to use. Would replacing the keypad with the housing resolve these issue most likely? Or is this indicative of a different issue that I would need to order different parts for or have fixed such as the keypad board? My last issue is the channel selector knob sometimes acts like it gets stuck and is sometimes very “jumpy” when selecting channels. Is this a simple fix or do I need to order an additional part to fix this issue?
I once had a brand new 7550E that had one or two non working keys (most annoying was the home/return key being inoperable) and I traced the problem all the way back to the main CPU in that one of the keypad lines was apparently no longer connected on the CPU end. Probably reballing or rebonding the CPU might have worked in restoring the connection but I did not want to risk being stuck with the radio for good. In any case as others suggested try first cleaning the contacts of the keypad, or if possible swap a complete keypad PC board from another known working radio. In my case I was sent this PC board to try and solve the issue, but after replacing it the problem was still the same so eventually had to return the radio for an exchange.

Replacing the channel selector (and/or volume/power control) is relatively easy but requires experience and the propper equipment to get it done correctly and without pulling any board vias.

Status
Not open for further replies.