• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTL 2500 *HELP*

Status
Not open for further replies.

holdenck

I work for a small government agency and we use a XTL 2500 converted to a base station to dispatch units in the field. We are wanting to add a foot pedal configuration somehow, to allow hands-free operation at our dispatch console. I am not finding anything very easily online.... Has anyone on here come across this or know how it can be done? We are currently using a desktop PTT mic to run this radio.

Any help and or suggestions would be great. I am new to this forum, so if you are able to shoot me an e-mail with ideas, that would be great. christian.holden@multco.us

I attached a photo of our set up. The console behind it is an old remote not used with this radio.

Thanks!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,858
Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There is an "auxiliary PTT" pin on the rear 26 pin connector. That should do what you want, but it might require some programming changes. Never done it myself, but I bet someone who has will chime in.

SCPD

QRT
If I'm correct I believe motorola sold a foot pedal ptt. I do not recall the part number but maybe someone will chime in On it.

kf8yk

I'm not aware of any accessory port function that can simulate a front panel PTT, the only programming choices for the accessory port PTT audio source are AUX_MIC [the default setting] or AUX_TX and both are located on the rear of the radio.

The cleanest way to solve this is to wire a separate external microphone to the rear accessory port & either unplug the front mic or leave it as a backup.

An external mic is wired to pin 23 (Aux Mic) and pin 14 (analog ground). The normally open footswitch is connected to pin 16 (Aux PTT) and pin 1 (digital ground).

holdenck

Awesome, thanks. Any idea what foot mic would be ideal, or does it matter? I'm guessing just a matter of wiring things in?

Thanks

holdenck

That is for our old system, we are in the process of switching over. It is not used

wsykes41770

Motorola offers a foot switch,

GLN7278 PTT Footswitch (G235AB) is the part number. From the pictures I've seen on the internet, it looks more like the old high beam light switch that cars used to have. I don't know the price on it. I'm sure you can convert something else and use the same pinouts.

holdenck

Any suggestions on a mic? Or would the current mic still work if a foot pedal was wired in?

kf8yk

Here's a typical foot switch:

https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=57149&eventGroup=4&eventPage=1

The existing desk microphone plugged into the front connector is not going to work with a foot switch wired to the accessory connector, you'll also need a microphone plugged into the rear accessory connector.

You would need an electret type of microphone with a built in preamp, or use an external preamp for a dynamic microphone element.

Another option is to just wire a foot switch in parallel across the existing desk microphone PTT switch. Take off the bottom desk mic cover and solder your normally open foot switch to the points indicated by the arrows:

View attachment 50280

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 893

holdenck

Awesome. Thanks for that! Our radio techs were puzzled so I'm sure this will help us all out

Status
Not open for further replies.