• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola xtl 5000 programming cable

Tnttalkkd9rzl

Hi
I just got myself a xtl 5000 and I’m having trouble locating a programming cable for this unit all the cables I’m finding are the round type
how do I find the correct cable
also it won’t power up I think because I don’t have the other cable that it requires that has to do with the ignition wire I found that out by doing a little reading on the line but I’m still not sure as this unit is new to me can anyone help me to try and figure out the proper type cables or the code numbers Motorola uses for what I’m trying to do
thank you very much in advance

scfd4

Zip tie technician
Ignition cable is HLN6863B direct from M but it’s on back order until 06/23. Programming cable is in stock though, hope this helps! You can always do a quick search of eBay too just search the radio model followed by what you’re looking for.

scfd4

Zip tie technician
I should’ve asked this first but is yours the astro w series control head?

Tnttalkkd9rzl

My radio does not have that type of port
are there any other kinds of programming cables out there other then that one or is there a adapter that could be used
thank you

scfd4

Zip tie technician
My radio does not have that type of port
are there any other kinds of programming cables out there other then that one or is there a adapter that could be used
thank you
Is this the type of head you have?

Attachments

• 85FD1967-B34B-4140-837C-B6257AF32226.jpeg
    85FD1967-B34B-4140-837C-B6257AF32226.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 15

scfd4

Zip tie technician
That would be HKN6155A for the programming cable but it’s unobtanium from pretty much everywhere.

scfd4

Zip tie technician
I’ll keep digging to see what I can find, I’m sure one of the more senior members will chime in eventually with more information.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Hi
I just got myself a xtl 5000 and I’m having trouble locating a programming cable for this unit all the cables I’m finding are the round type
how do I find the correct cable
also it won’t power up I think because I don’t have the other cable that it requires that has to do with the ignition wire I found that out by doing a little reading on the line but I’m still not sure as this unit is new to me can anyone help me to try and figure out the proper type cables or the code numbers Motorola uses for what I’m trying to do
thank you very much in advance
I have the Igntion/ speaker cable if you need it PM me

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Lot's of choices for the rear connector:

wgbecks

You can fabricate your own USB or RS-232 Programming Cable but would need the connector, pins, and tool to crimp the pins.
The RS-232 Data Cable is a very cost-effective option but you'd still need to place a jumper between Pins 14 & 15 before the
radio will power up, even if Ignition sense is disabled.

The attached PDF provides the wiring with reference to the Emergency jumper (Pins 14 & 15).

Attachments

• XTL5000 26-PIN AUX - PGM CABLE.pdf
    106.7 KB · Views: 77

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
Wow the one with the usb connector is 200 dollars
the 2nd one looks like I would need a older computer ?
do they make a adapter
This is an expensive hobby. I recommend doing a lot more research before getting in to the programming side of things. Plenty of resources here on RR.