• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTL dual speaker

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
ok i have a question on a base station setup….. i have a XTL1500 as a base but would like to add a 2nd external speaker in out EMS Bays so the crews can hear out there….. is there a issue just tying in a 2nd speaker.? it will be approximately 50’ from the radio….. if not any suggestions on how to have this work.?

Tech21

No, you should not have an issue. Just tie in the speaker using a butt splice where the original is plugged in and you should be fine.

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
if i wanted to add a volume control at each speaker that wouldn’t damage the radio audio circuit would it.?

Tech21

I have never done that. If you're just using a second Motorola mobile speaker, pick a volume level everyone is happy with.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I have never done that. If you're just using a second Motorola mobile speaker, pick a volume level everyone is happy with.

If one radio is inside and the other is out in the bay, one of the speakers (most likely the one indoors) is probably going to need an L-pad on it; I've found that a lot more audio is needed to be intelligible in a bay versus indoors.

Ideally this would be run through a PA system; more audio would be available and it can be customized for each area of the station.