• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mic256

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I use a Motorola XTS 1500 at work, and I would like to know if there is way to tell whether it is the UHF or VHF model? Also, Are there any other radios that can listen in on the frequencies of the Motorola XTS. I am new to radios and would appreciate a little help!

thank you,

Mic

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Post the model number. The letter in the 4th position denotes the band. K would be VHF, Q and S would be UHF.

Unless you're using encryption, most scanners would be able to listen in.

The exact model would depend on what type of system you're using.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Like Mike said, the model number will tell you.

If you are running on a trunked system a scanner is almost your only option (another motorola can listen to it of you put some work into it). Also, if there is any form of encryption running you would be SOL.

Mic256

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the response. The model # is H66SDD9PW5BN.
This means it is UHF, correct? I googled the user Manuel and it states it can be UHF R1 or R2. The one at work has channels only and does not show the frequency. Is there any way to see which frequency a particular channel is transmitting on?

Thanks again

Mic

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Yes, you've got a UHF radio in high split, 450-512MHz.

You'll need to use a scanner with Close Call, a frequency counter or use Motorola software to locate the frequency.

Have you tried looking up the frequencies in the FCC database? You could try your companies name or the service provider they get their radios from.

Mic256

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the late response, and thank you for yours! If i were to buy a frequency counter, could it analyze the frequency when the radio receives signal, or would I have to transmit on that signal in order for the frequency counter to work?

thanks

Mic

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the late response, and thank you for yours! If i were to buy a frequency counter, could it analyze the frequency when the radio receives signal, or would I have to transmit on that signal in order for the frequency counter to work?

thanks

Mic
Have you priced frequency counters recently? Beacoup expensive!

Mic256

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! yea i found a shop in culver city(Los Angeles) that sells a $40 handheld frequency counter. I will give that a shot.

Thanks

Mic256

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! i found it in the database but i'm not sure how to read the table. I was looking for LAX airport terminal operations MAIN. The table shows the DEC=201 and HEX=0c9 info with MODE=D but i don't see the exact frequency. It does say that it is trunked also, so does that make it illegal to listen to? I have to start looking up these terms, but I appreciate any help.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Yes, it means it's trunked.

It is possible to listen but it's a complicated process which can cause problems for the users of the system and land you in hot water. Judging by the questions you're asking here, you probably shouldn't attempt to use that radio on any trunking systems.

Mic256

Premium Subscriber
Yea i definitely don't want to cause any problems. I just have a bearcat scanner that I wanted to use to listen in on along with Air traffic control frequencies. i know uniden has a trunk tracker scanner but i don't want the scanner to cause interference with their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.