• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS 2500 UHF Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollingcoal

Sorry i am totally new to all, so please bare with me and i will try and explain the best i can. I was at the local shop today trying to clone some portables and change some features. What i wanted done was on one of my talk groups, 14 channels, i dont want the last 2 channels to transmit for accidental reasons and also when radio is on scan, it will key up on channel that last transmission received although it is physically on different channel. Now from what the guy was telling me that it is a trunking system and that in main menu there is no box to check for receive only, unlike the conventional menu where it is on main screen in other channels programmed in radio. Now he also tried to take out the transmit frequencies and was un able to do that. As far as i understood, it is a P25 system, or Astro. He said when he clicks on transmit boxes does not alow him too edit. Is there something that we were over looking in the programming software? He also said something about a Key, we switched radio companies, so they are not the original company that set the radios up. is there a way to get this key code or is it even needed to just change those 2 channels to receive only and to clone the other radios with all same, just with different identifiers for each. Thanks for your help.

kb0uxv

I do not think there is a way to let the radio transmit on some talkgroups (first 14) and not on others (last 2). The issue with your scan (talking back accidently on a scanned TG) can be fixed by changing your scan list designated TX member from talkback to selected chanel. This way, TX will always be the selected talkgroup / channel on the radio knob.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
If it's UHF (400 MHz), then all he has to do is add another system with the same exact data, but omit the TX frequencies on the control channel data. Then point the channels that you don't want to transmit to the new system and you'll be set. There are some other tweaks that he can do to that new system that he created without the TX frequencies. It's sort of a pain, but works great on OBT (Other Band Trunking).

If you are trying to do this with an 800 MHz radio, then you'll have a more difficult time as you cannot omit the TX frequencies. The idea is pretty much the same though, you just have to add the new system and then program one of the switches for TX inhibit in both directions. You could do that or set it up for strapped-encryption, but don't load a key and don't assign a key to enable encryption. You'll get a BONK with a message that tells you that that talkgroup is encrypted only and to turn on the encryption, or words similar to those.

Edit:
I just noticed that you said that the TX frequencies are shaded out? If that's the case, he needs to load the system key. If he doesn't have this, then that company that you switched to needs to get that key from Motorola. Motorola will not just email a key either. There will be lots of checks and balances with a lot of communication between the system owner and Motorola before they release anything to the new radio company.

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
http://forums.radioreference.com/mot...moto-read.html Apparently some info that was originally included in that post has been deleted, like make your our key. Now I am not advocating that but, if you are going to offer info, at least make it complete. In the scan options you can also designate a channel for transmit, not last received. If its an 800 system, you can try changing the connect tone, UHF and VHF then just delete the transmitter frequencies as described by others. The hidden scan method works well too, as it will allow you to transmit on a conventional channel only when in scan. "rollingcoal" you will have to do your own research since this is a very touchy subject, but the info is out there on this site,batlabs and others. Good luck Mr Phelps.

Last edited:

kb0uxv

Rescue, that is a clever idea to set to encrypted with no key on a TG you don’t want to TX on. But will CPS let a TG be set to strapped if the radio has no secure hardware? Radioman, I got the impression from the first post that rollingcoal is an authorized user since he is working through a shop. If that is not the case, and this is going towards hacks, I will respectfully back out of this conversation.

rollingcoal

Sorry. Im not understanding what the hacks means. I should be a authorized user since it is programmed in there already. The frequency range is 400. Mhz just need some basic info so i can bring back to shop. When i left there he put a call into Motorola and said its not even possible for the radis not to transmit but i hear else wise....who do i believe?

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
What I have found with Motorola Corporate is if they didn't sell it that way, they are not going to help you without a SP request that you pay for. If the local dealer can't help maybe try some one else out of the area. The idea of using two zones with duplicate systems and talk-groups, one with transmit capability and the other without (by deleting the transmit frequencies from the control channel listing on 400 mhz you can do that) and then setting up your scan list to point to the transmit talk-groups that you want to transmit and the receive only talk-groups might be your best bet. (My personal analog Spectra radio is set up that way).The ideas put forth here are untried, and the only one I know of that works is the hidden scan list one, as it transmits on a conventional channel (you could use a GMRS channel), and mine listed above.
Now as far as referencing the post http://forums.radioreference.com/mot...moto-read.html it is assumed that you are not an authorized user, since the post points to that, and if you were an authorized user you wouldn't be looking for the information, and you would be talking to your admin. In this case it appears that both the admin and the dealer are not interested or capable of providing a solution.

rollingcoal

Ok thanks maybe i will try different shop. Its tuff with the economy we have to go on state bid and state contract or best out of 3. This is what i ended up with and just trying to learn myself as well as the programmer who got this all thrown on his lap last month. Lol thanks for all your help. And p.s. im not trying to commit a crime....

Status
Not open for further replies.