Motorola XTS 5000 Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

Has anyone used the Motorola XTS 5000 Digital Portable? Its seems like a very good radio. i know arcadia police in my city carries it alot as there regular radio, and they have alot of freqs all around ca programmed into it, since it holds over 200 freqs

SCPD

QRT
It's too expensive for a hobbyist to use as a scanner. Here's the bad thing about it:

- Only scans 15 +1 members in each scan list. One scan list at a time.
- Auto-affiliates on trunked systems. This means your radio will get inhibited SOON.
- Firmware updates are not generally applied by the end-user. An SRIB and a bunch of other "crap" is required. + It's not free.
- Cop sees you with a radio that resembles his, and they're going to think it's stolen. They aren't bright in this regard.

Go with a digital portable scanner. I'll admit the audio quality isn't the best, but a scanner will do a lot more for you than the 5000 will, if you want to scan a system.

The good thing about the 5000 is that it's way more sensitive than the 3000, plus it offers FPP (Front Panel Programming) as an option on conventional frequencies. Wish I could afford one.

CLB

Haven't used a 5000, but I was issued a XTS3000 about 2 years ago. Basically the same radio except a limited keypad. Wing HQ took it away and gave me a EFJ 5100 series in it's place 8 months ago. I really miss it...the Johnson is OK, but it's no Moto.

mmartinfan

Banned
I played with one a couple weeks ago. The display is awesome, the controls are very nice now. But for using it as a scanner. No not a good idea. If you are going to spend that kind of $$ your nuts. Like Shaun said buy a digital scanner, and for the cost of the 5000 you could buy several scanners.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Shaun said:
- Cop sees you with a radio that resembles his, and they're going to think it's stolen. They aren't bright in this regard.

Pretty generalized statement, dontcha think?

BoxAlarm187

Premium Subscriber
Well, at least you're consistant, no matter what board you're on. :roll:

Not looking for a fight - maybe some civil conversation, but not a fight. The personal attacks are a nice touch though. :D

Y'all carry on, I'll go check some other threads for intelligent life...

mancow

Database Admin
No, he's right. They are fairly ignorant in that regard mostly. It's because it's not interesting to them like guns and fancy flashlights and it's something the general population does exactly get at Wal-Mart.

I don't take it as an insult, just an observation.

SCPD

QRT
Oh well. My entertaining posts keep getting deleted in the good name of who knows what. Wouldn't want to offend any 9y/olds who have an interest in an XTS5000.

As for insulting cops, that's not my intent. Let's face it: How many cops know wtf the difference is between a VHF/UHF/800 MHz radio is? They think they're all the same. For this very reason, I chose to whackerize my 3000's with the yellow "R" cases. No one around here uses the yellow "R" cases. They probably wouldn't even recognize it as the same model of radio :)

And no offence to you Casey. I'm just telling it like it is. Chances are, if one of your brothers t-stopped someone who had an XTS5000, and your agency uses them, the investigating officer would get suspicious in a hurry.

BoxAlarm187

Premium Subscriber
Well, it looks like Shaun was banned (again?). Regardless, I am not a police officer, although I used to work for several years in a civilian position with a large law enforcement agency.

When I was providing fire protection to a couple of the Indy Racing League teams a couple of weeks ago at the local track, I should have warned them that the XTS3000's they were using to talk amongst the drivers and crew members should be hidden. Since the local PD uses the same radio, I sure that there was trouble a-brewin'. :p

Oh well, I didn't really mean to hijack the thread, just making a casual observation about a casual comment.

Now back to your regularly scheduled /\/\otorola discussion! :cool:

jparks29

John McClane
officers are not radio techs(with some exceptions) and it doesnt make it any easier when the guy in charge of county communications issued an order to all county personnel,PD included, that ALL radio's, (that aren't obviously scanners) that can RECIEVE county transmissions(analog conventional), should be confiscated by the officers, because they CAN transmit, if reprogrammed....

they use M-RK's, on UHF-T, I have a VHF M-RK for 2m,I've had a few officers ask me where the radio came from,in an accusatory manner....

I've had XTS3K's, XTS5K's, Astro Sabers, ETC... there's a few issues with those.. .

1.trunked systems,system keys, legal issues,etc...

2.bands... one scanner, or 4 XTS's ??? one for VHF,2 for UHF, one for 800..even if you get them for 500 a piece(Ie, stolen), you're still looking at TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

3.convenience, got your RIB and software,(and illegal system key) floating around when you wanna program a new system in ??

mikegilbert

MHz so good
I'm quite partial to Motorola- I only use a scanner when I absolutely have to. I also opt for the Yellow housing- no questions as to who owns the radio.

The 5000 is a great radio- I'm still trying to fill the thing up (it holds 850 channels)

183588673_9422863e13.jpg

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
mikegilbert said:
The 5000 is a great radio- I'm still trying to fill the thing up (it holds 850 channels)

Channel capacity is dependent on model & installed firmware. There are a lot more
of 512 channel model II's and III's then there are 850 channel versions in addition to
48 channel model I's.

Only in the last two 7.XX.XX firware releases were the 5000's brought up to 850
and the 2500's increased to 512.

radiogirl

I think Shaun is funny

I know this is off topic, but personally, I think Shaun's ideas and replies are very thoughtful and usually funny. Why do people have to be banned because they have an opinion?? If you are that sensitive that you can't take a little sarcastic criticism maybe you should be banned!! Personally, I have learned a lot from most of his post. My 2 cents!

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Well I'm glad you think someone using foul Language and flat out offending people like he does and did in this thread amusing..But..Per the owner of this web site it is not to be tolerated..There is no excuse to attack people the way shaun did, no matter what..

mancow

Database Admin
Shaun said:
Oh well. My entertaining posts keep getting deleted in the good name of who knows what. Wouldn't want to offend any 9y/olds who have an interest in an XTS5000.

As for insulting cops, that's not my intent. Let's face it: How many cops know wtf the difference is between a VHF/UHF/800 MHz radio is? They think they're all the same. For this very reason, I chose to whackerize my 3000's with the yellow "R" cases. No one around here uses the yellow "R" cases. They probably wouldn't even recognize it as the same model of radio :)

And no offence to you Casey. I'm just telling it like it is. Chances are, if one of your brothers t-stopped someone who had an XTS5000, and your agency uses them, the investigating officer would get suspicious in a hurry.

Yea, read my post again if you can still see this. I was in agreement. It's just a matter of seeing something that's unique to the job and overreacting. Many are ignorant of the fact that anyone can purchase one.

cellblock776

mancow said:
Yea, read my post again if you can still see this. I was in agreement. It's just a matter of seeing something that's unique to the job and overreacting. Many are ignorant of the fact that anyone can purchase one.
I also agree. Most officers have little knowledge about the radios they use and what is available to citizens. When it comes to radios, many officers regard them little more than the orange traffic cones they carry in their patrol cars for traffic control.
Sorry to see Shawn go. It's been a heck of a week for people getting banned here at RR and at the forums at QRZ.com. Maybe it's the heat.

10-95

I'm sorry to see Shaun go. He's got some really good information and has written many informative articles on Astro gear and infastructure over the years on various sites.

ICP963

Feed Provider
So long Shaun

10-95 said:
I'm sorry to see Shaun go. He's got some really good information and has written many informative articles on Astro gear and infastructure over the years on various sites.
Having experienced his attacks first hand via both this forum and in personal email, his being banned is no great loss whatsoever. Yes, he has some good information sometimes and I have no doubt that he has a through knowledge base on Motorola turnked systems. But that is not enough to make up for his actions when someone has something to say that he may not agree with.

SLWilson

Aren't too bright?

***Cop sees you with a radio that resembles his, and they're going to think it's stolen. They aren't bright in this regard.***
Don't know what planet you arrived from, but, generally, a $3,000.oo radio isn't "just carried" by the average Joe on the street. If, as a police officer, you see someone with a radio like that, it isn't as you say, that thy aren't too bright, they are doing their job of being inqusitive. It's like you're demeaning police officers with that statement!!!! You have a bad experience with the police in this life or a previous one? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.