• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola xts-5000 scan list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker845

I have Motorola xts-5000 vhf radio, i'm trying to program scan lists from the keypad and its not letting me. Is there setting i missed?

thanks

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Do you have the scan list configured to the personality in CPS.

Baker845

yes, what the issue is, i can't select channels i want add or remove to and from the scan list. the 4 way key on the xts-5000 changes the zone, doesn't let me move though the channel to add or delet.

jim202

First off in the mobile radio type, there are 2 types of scan list. One is operator select and the other is the fixed. The operator type list will go away every time the radio is shut off. The fixed list will stay there even if the radio is turned off. Another point to all this is the heavy red wire from the radio needs to be connected to constant power all the time. This is the one with the large current fuse for the transmitter.

With that said, I use the fixed type of scan. I set up a button on my control heads to let me have the ability to zone up and another to zone down.

Part of this will depend on the type of control head you have. I like the larger control heads like the 05. This gives me the largest display where I can have the zone and channel alpha numeric channel info displayed. As I do travel a bunch, I have the radio maxed out for the max channel (mode) information. I set the zone for the area that I am in. Keep the zone selection set up for the adjacent areas. This way as I travel, I can select the next zone for the radios I can hear. As my radios are VHF and UHF, I don't have to get involved with trunking issues. But a trunking radio can be set up the same way. You select the trunking system for the area your in.

Hope this helps a little in setting up your radio.

I know you asked about an XTS, but the process is the same. Only you need to set up buttons from the drop down menu on the screen to do the same thing.

Can't help you on the battery retention issue on keys for the portables. Never had one long enough to run into the problem.

Jim

Baker845

I'm trying set up channels to scan in my xts-5000 from the key pad. zone 1 scan list in cps i left all 15 unassigned , so i can add channels from the keypad. For some reason, i can't toggle though the channels in scan list prgm mode to add channels. The 4 way keypad changes zones. its odd, in the past i could toggle though the channels and add them to the list without making lists in the cps. not sure why this radio wont let me.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
First off in the mobile radio type, there are 2 types of scan list. One is operator select and the other is the fixed. The operator type list will go away every time the radio is shut off. The fixed list will stay there even if the radio is turned off.
That's not correct at all. The only difference between Operator Select and Fixed in the ASTRO 25 and APX series (mobiles and portables) is as follows:

Operator Select: Allows the user of the radio to add/remove channels from the scan list via the radio's interface
Fixed: Channels can only be added/removed via CPS

Think of it in similar terms of how FPP works...Operator Select is the "FPP" of scan list programming.

Operator Select is not a temporary scan list that "goes away" when the radio is powered down. I'm not sure where you got that idea. If you edit the scan list, then read the radio back in CPS, all of the changes you made are reflected in the codeplug.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I assume that you have a PROG soft key on the menu. As previously mentioned, a scan list must obviously be assigned to a personality before you can edit it. The scan list should also have Operator Select for the non-priority members enabled.

When you press the PRGM soft key, you should see SCAN come up as the next soft key selection. After pressing that, you should see SEL DEL RCL as the soft key selections. From this point, the UP/DOWN arrows on the 4 way keypad will go through the channels in that zone, while the LEFT/RIGHT arrows will change zones.

If you're getting any other results, something isn't right. Are you sure that you're pressing that SCAN soft key after pressing PRGM? Because that would certainly explain why the 4 way arrows are non-functional.

Baker845

Each personality as a scan list assigned. operator select in scan zone. when i go to scan list prgm, im not able to toggle though the channels, to add channels to scan list. yes on pressing scan after pressing PRGM. The up and down arrows aren't letting me go through the channels?

Last edited:

mm

You said>>'zone 1 scan list in cps i left all 15 unassigned , so i can add channels from the keypad. '

you need to assign the channels for your scan list in cps first but also assign all 16 channels of a zone to the same scan list.

The scan list personalities cannot be left unassigned 15 scan members maximum need to be assigned in cps first, only after assigning a maximum of 15 personalities to the scan list then they are made accessible from the keypad SCAN button or whatever radio key that you choose to start scan.

Only after following this procedure then you can add/delete at will any of these 16 personalities of that zone as desired but only if they are assigned from the cps setup first.

If the scan list is setup correctly and scan started in a particular way, then you can also scan all 16 channels or those members of an entire zone.

To scan all 16 channels in a zone: let's say you have personalities 1-15 in your zone assigned to the same scan list in cps initially but all 16 channels of that zone are all assigned to the same scan list in CPS, even though only the 1st 15 are assigned to the scan list of that zone, then if you start scan with the channel selector knob set at channel16/personality 16 of this zone then channel 16 will also be scanned, ie you can scan all 16 channels of a zone.

Baker845

I will do that. I have about 25 channels in zone one, and if there something going on in next county i wanted to be able to add that county freq to scan be able to add and remove. On Xts-2500 i left the scan list unassigned and don't have issue adding and removing channels from the scan list.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Operator Select is not a temporary scan list that "goes away" when the radio is powered down. I'm not sure where you got that idea. If you edit the scan list, then read the radio back in CPS, all of the changes you made are reflected in the codeplug.

Might have got the idea from Harris radios, which delete the user scan list upon power down, unless the scan settings are set appropriately in RPM (the Harris version of CPS). That one caught me by surprise....

mm

Programming scan is vastly easier if you have your radio set to select ZONES from a menu item enabled from the keypad and channels selected from the top 16 position knob.

In the xts you can only have 16 personalities set to the same scan list number in cps to scan.

You cannot add other personalities to the above mentioned 16 members to the same scan list from a different scan list, the 16 scan members need to be assigned in cps first and it will not let you scan across zones members if you have different scan list members in the same zone it will only scan 1 particular SCAN list.

That is, if you have a zone with half of its personalities from scan list 1 and another half of the zone has members from scan list 2, when you turn /enable scan it will only scan those members from the scan list of the channel which it is set to when scan is turned on, it will not scan members of different scan list even if in they are in the same zone.

To program your scan channels, assuming that all 16 members are assigned to the same scan list, and that all 16 personalities/members have the same scan list number assigned in their personality SCAN window of cps, then using the keypad arrow keys press the PROG key, then using the keypad arrow keys press the SCAN icon then rotate the CHANNEL select knob and then press SEL or DEL and for SEL you will see a ---/---> icon indicating that the channel is in the scan list.

Once a channel is in the scan list you can select a priority 1 channel by pressing the sel key one more time and a priority channel 2 by pressing the SEL key two more times, a solid PERIOD/DOT or a flashing PERIOD/DOTwill come up indicating PRIORITY 1 OR 2 channel.

Even though you may have priority 1 and 2 enabled in CPS/SCAN you can disable either or both priority channels from the PROGRAM SCAN keypad selection with the radios keypad.

RCL selection lets you scroll through the entire 15 members of that scan list each time RCL is pressed.

Lets assume that the first 15 channels in your zone are set to the same scan list and all 16 channels are in the same SCAN list number, and that this zones scan list is set up for user/programmable scan and that user/programmable priority 1 and priority 2 channels have initially been enabled in the cps SCAN setup, then if you turn the scan on with the channel selector knob set to channel 16, all 16 channels will be scanned.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Might have got the idea from Harris radios, which delete the user scan list upon power down, unless the scan settings are set appropriately in RPM (the Harris version of CPS). That one caught me by surprise....
I kinda like the idea of temp scan lists, but only if I'm aware that they go away on power down. Frankly, I wish the APX dynamic zone also created a dynamic scan list, that would be handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.