• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS1500 And XTS2500 Caneled Inplace of the APX Series

Whats Your Favoriate XTS Radio And Why?

• Motorola XTS1500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Motorola XTS3500

• Motorola XTS5000R

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a XTS-2500 UHF and 700\800 MHZ portables and a XTL-5000 UHF and 700\800 MHZ radios love them and the APX way to much money for me to own for now.

i have a XTS-2500 UHF and 700\800 MHZ portables and a XTL-5000 UHF and 700\800 MHZ radios love them and the APX way to much money for me to own for now.

I agree with you about that. The Alaska State Troopers uses the VHF XTS in the show. It sounds great on the show. Also DMPD uses the same XTS UHF you have.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
They were both cancelled a while ago.

There are APX models available which rival the XTL's prices.

So as you said "like everybody can afford the APX"

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Two words "planned obsolesence" Motorola learned the hard way with the MX series that if you build too good of a radio, you end up hurting yourself with new model rollout. The XTS series is in the 10 year old neighborhood-I'm surprised they let it stick around so long. Also, most Federal grant money for public safety radios stipulates that it must be dual band capable, so there's a lot of money NOT being spent on the XTS. As far as personal radios-Motorola isn't seeing the profit margin on you, so they really don't care if you can or cannot afford an APX or an XTS.

Two words "planned obsolesence" Motorola learned the hard way with the MX series that if you build too good of a radio, you end up hurting yourself with new model rollout. The XTS series is in the 10 year old neighborhood-I'm surprised they let it stick around so long. Also, most Federal grant money for public safety radios stipulates that it must be dual band capable, so there's a lot of money NOT being spent on the XTS. As far as personal radios-Motorola isn't seeing the profit margin on you, so they really don't care if you can or cannot afford an APX or an XTS.

I guess the Federal Government has the money to buy $5000 radios.

I guess the Federal Government has the money to buy $5000 radios.

As MikeOxlong mentioned a few replies back. Certain APXs are very cost comparable to XTL/XTS models. Nobody should be so quick to say that the APXs are much to expensive. Also, Harris radios aren't that much cheaper. At the end of the day every single brand that uses P25 is paying for that particular technology.

As MikeOxlong mentioned a few replies back. Certain APXs are very cost comparable to XTL/XTS models. Nobody should be so quick to say that the APXs are much to expensive. Also, Harris radios aren't that much cheaper. At the end of the day every single brand that uses P25 is paying for that particular technology.

I totally agree :D. I never asked my tech for the quotes. He just told me. I am pretty sure the APX radios are cheap if you dont want everything in it. I still buy the APX and the XTS or XTL no matter what the price is. It is like comparing it to DMR. I have always liked Motorola.

wsykes41770

Its cheaper ;).

Not necessarily true. The Harris Unity XG-1000's that the State of Tennessee Board of Health bought cost around $6000 a piece. Granted it is a VHF/UHF/700/800 MHz radio, but still quite a bit more then the APX 6000 that was issued to me. The APX 6000 I was issued was bought at $3500 each.

mancow

Database Admin
I was starting to wonder if there was a new word called caneled I wasn't aware of. :D

I totally agree :D. I never asked my tech for the quotes. He just told me. I am pretty sure the APX radios are cheap if you dont want everything in it. I still buy the APX and the XTS or XTL no matter what the price is. It is like comparing it to DMR. I have always liked Motorola.

Just a side note. I take Motorola anyday but I am on the fence about the different radios by different compianies.

Status
Not open for further replies.