• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

FF2344

I recently purchased a 2500 off of ebay. The radio has FPP and the seller stated that the flash does not match the tag due to being "reflashed" The serial is 407TEW2***. My question is, should I use it in a public safety setting? I have been, and it works perfectly, but I have read threads stating that the radio would be better suited for hobby rather than public safety. Also is it possible to tell where the radio is from solely from the Serial number?

bezking

If it's one of the radios shipped from Hong Kong I would certainly not use it in a public safety capacity. In any case, you should have it retuned by a professional to ensure that it will perform optimally. If you email me the entire serial number (bezking@radioreference.com) I can tell you some details about it.

N4KVE

I agree with the above statement. A radio from China should only be used for hobby purposes. [ham radio or scanning] However a radio sold by babylovemetoo/kotaguchi is in top shape, has tags, is tuned before he sells the radio, & the ser# is verified to not be hot. It just depends on the source of the radio. GARY N4KVE

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I know Ko.. Some of his radios are modified model I and II that have been upgraded also. But he does have them aligned

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I think they're talking about Panter88.

Most of his radios come unaligned.

mm

Also for public safety use the radio needs to use a dongle key or similar method to restrict FPP from the user.

Q52 and Q53 technically are not for public safety users.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The last 2500 I saw from Panter88 was a recased PR1500 that he had "upgraded".

Unfortunately for him, he left the old PR1500 tags on so the model number and serial number gave it away.

Whoever did the upgrade work also left the old model number and serial number in the codeplug as well.

Buyer beware.

VE3RADIO

The last 2500 I saw from Panter88 was a recased PR1500 that he had "upgraded".

Unfortunately for him, he left the old PR1500 tags on so the model number and serial number gave it away.

Whoever did the upgrade work also left the old model number and serial number in the codeplug as well.

Buyer beware.

All the stuff I have seen from him has been great.. from who else can you get a fully functional model 3 for 400 bux. Would I trust my life on it? Not a chance..

Shotblocker

Panter88 vs Panter88888

I enquired through EBay customer service about the 2 user id's and was informed that they are located in different areas? With different contact info? Does anyone know anymore about these guys? I have read a lot of pros and cons about Panter88 but nothing about Panter88888

Waiting to hear

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
FWIW, pretty sure they are the same guy. I've gotten 2500's from both and all are (or at least from the actual hardware seem to be) real 2500's (albeit recased) most are within spec but would need an alignment to perform 100% optimally.

I wouldn't say "buyer beware" but, I would NOT suggest using these radios for ANYTHING other then hobbyist use (scanner or otherwise).

Status
Not open for further replies.