• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS2500I - is this radio wort buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaton90

Hi!
I always wanted to buy an XTS2500... I've found an interesting one, an I version...But I still have doubts about buying it.

Here's some info about this radio:
XTS2500I Astro Portable Radio

UHF2 450-520Mhz
Model : H46SDH9PW7BN

Firmware: R14.00.03

DSP: R14.00.00

Flashcode: 581018-10168C-9

Serial Number: 407CGxxxxx

Secure Vision: R05.05.02

KG1 ADP

Everything looks fine, but there are no stickers on the back pannel of the radio and it is the most embarassing thing about it.
What can it be? A cheap chinese replica? A genuine but stolen motorola? What am I risking buying such a radio?
Thanks

Eaton90

I know what "I" or "R" letters in model number mean - this is a ruggedized radio.
But i'm asking about the lack of stickers with serial numbers

gary123

The radio has been labbed. There is probably nothing wrong with it, the stickers have been removed to hide the original S/N and flash code.

fordcobra04

Premium Subscriber
My XTS2500i is also missing the tags on the back, but the radio works like it should, and I have had ZERO issues. Nothing wrong with buying a tagless radio, if you dont plan to send it to Motorola for rape and repair!

Eaton90

I see... Thanks!
Please allow me to ask one more question right here, because I don't find wise creating a new thread just for it.
Is it possible that the XTS2500 in the picture is genuine? There's no vent hole on the back of the radio like on my XTS1500 and the writing "for home or office use" under the FCC logo embarasses me a little. Let me know what you think!

W2NJS

The only real protection you have on a used radio deal is that the seller gives you a return privilege. Other than that it's a crap shoot.

There is no such thing as a cheap Chinese imitation of the XTS2500...yet.

The 2500 has some limited features compared to a 5000, and the 5000 prices are gradually coming down, so perhaps some additional shopping is in order.

If you don't already read Batwing Laboratories perhaps you should. There is a ton or more of reliable information there about the XTS series of radios.

fordcobra04

Premium Subscriber
Eaton90,

My XTS looks identical to the one you posted, so mine may NOT be a true "I" model which means its probably been recased at some point, and as W2NJS said, there are no counterfeit Motorola radios. If you are new to Motorola gear, you'll find out how tight Motorola controls software, radios, and accessories to counterfeit products.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I have an XTS2500 that has 123ABC1234 as the S/N. It was used as an accelerated life test model. It has been aligned and meets published specs for the radio. The only issue I have ever had is that the VCO doesn't lock above 468MHz, but for my use (UHF amateur and some commercial stuff in the 451 range) this isn't a problem. I have Host 9 and DSP 13 in it, and have never had an issue. Yes, it's been "hacked", but as long as it meets factory specs, I don't see an issue.

The no-tag radios didn't have tags removed to cover the serial number - they never had tags to begin with.

I would never /EVER/ use one of these radios for public safety use, however for amateur type stuff, the work just fine.

N4KVE

The last guy who tried to " Counterfeit" Motorola radios was Nick DeLuca

http://forums.radioreference.com/mo...-persons-whove-received-motorola-letters.html
What do you mean? Those radios were assembled with genuine Motorola parts. While his radios might not have been assembled at the plant, all the parts & circuit boards were. Who knows the origin of Panter's radios? QC rejects, or radios sold as scrap by M's insurance company? While some people didn't receive the radio they paid Nick for,I was one of the lucky guys that did, & it has always worked perfectly for me all these years on the ham bands. GARY N4KVE

Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
You know what I am talking about. Nick radios were built from parts. How ever he obtained them. Slapped together and loaded with default tuning values and then whoreflashed. Then passed off as motorola original. Therfore by definition counterfiet. I know people who have had and still have a Nick radio, some had issues with the quality. I have also had Panter radios. I have yet to have an issue with any of them.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
I see... Thanks!
Please allow me to ask one more question right here, because I don't find wise creating a new thread just for it.
Is it possible that the XTS2500 in the picture is genuine? There's no vent hole on the back of the radio like on my XTS1500 and the writing "for home or office use" under the FCC logo embarasses me a little. Let me know what you think!

If it has no vent hole or screw for the water test, it's almost surely a non-"I" XTS2500 in a 2500i case.

If you're embarrassed by the "for home or office use" label, you need to either find a way to come to terms with your feelings or complain to the FCC about the labeling requirements. It means the design meets the (tight) requirements for incidental RF radiation in a home or office environment, as opposed to the (less tight) requirements for office environments only.

N4KVE

You know what I am talking about. Nick radios were built from parts. How ever he obtained them. Slapped together and loaded with default tuning values and then whoreflashed. Then passed off as motorola original. Therfore by definition counterfiet. I know people who have had and still have a Nick radio, some had issues with the quality. I have also had Panter radios. I have yet to have an issue with any of them.
He assembled these radios from Genuine Motorola parts, & the ad specifically said parts built, not Factory built. But he was selling a $3000 radio for $1000 when they were brand new. So who woke up one day and said OMG. The $3000 radio I paid $1000 for isn't factory built! In my case, my UHF radio had a glitch. I returned it to him overnight, & he returned me a new replacement overnight Saturday delivery. While I have never checked the tuning values, it receives repeaters over 60 miles away & is more sensitive on RX than any factory Jedi, or Astro Saber, or XTS5000 I own.I will certainly say the Nick radios were "parts built" but nor counterfeit. Now if the boards were built in Bangladesh, or Pakistan, then I'd say the radios were counterfeit. I never did get one of those letters from "M" by the way. If I did, I would have wiped by butt with it. I do have a friend who is on this forum, & he did get a Panter 2500 w/o tags, & it works just fine, but his has a legit ser #, not 123ABC. GARY N4KVE

Eaton90

If it has no vent hole or screw for the water test, it's almost surely a non-"I" XTS2500 in a 2500i case.

If you're embarrassed by the "for home or office use" label, you need to either find a way to come to terms with your feelings or complain to the FCC about the labeling requirements. It means the design meets the (tight) requirements for incidental RF radiation in a home or office environment, as opposed to the (less tight) requirements for office environments only.

I see... To be honest, I was more used to see such labels on the consumer electronics, such as keyboards and other computer parts. This is the first time I see "for home or office use" label on the professional radio and this whas what embarrassed me the most...
Anyway, thank you for explanation!

mancow

Database Admin
If this Motorola mentality were applied to any other product there would be no non dealership body shops or hot rod shops and JC Whitney would have been out of business long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.