• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS3000 CPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI7BPU

I am using ASTRO Saber & XTS 3000 CPS Version R05.03.00 that is licenced to me, on a Dell Inspiron 8000 with Windows XP. I'm using a real Motorola RIB, (yes it's on) with a properly pinned IBM to RIB cable, and an OEM Motorola RKN4035D programming cable which I'm trying to use to program my XTS3000 Model 3. (It's on too)

When I try to read the radio I instantly get "Communication with radio failed" why is this? I know the RIB works, a friend of mine used it to program an HT1000.

I'm questioning the computer side of it.. What driver do I use? Does it even need a driver? Do I need to make a new COM port? When I open CPS it gives me two options, COM port 1 and COM port 3, I don't have a "COM port 3" but for some reason it shows up in the program even after deleted it and restarted the computer. I have tried both 1 and 3 previously and I get nothing but an instant fail, It's like it's not even trying.

If anybody could help me out that would be great because this is starting to flatten my wallet.

MaxK98

It's a long shot, but are you using winXP 64-bit? If so, this CPS was meant to be used with a 32-bit OS.

Also, I personnaly have more experience with the jedi seris of radios, but they are very similar to the XTS series. Sometimes, the accessory pins contacts would get dirty between the housing and the radios maint board. If you are sure everything on the software side is fine, you could try dissasembling your radio and clean those contacts. Maybe even removing and putting back on the housing will fix it.

Good luck!

KI7BPU

Well I did get the radio to read finally, to get it I went to start,>run>hdwwiz.cpl and ran the setup. but now I have another problem. When the codeplug opens after reading, all of the frequencies under 'General' in Conventional personality are missing and they are blocked out and won't let me type in the frequencies. Right next to it where it says "Frequency (MHz):" is red as if it's invalid.. So of course I look to see what's invalid by clicking view then clicking invalid fields it says nothing is invalid. I don't understand..

The codeplug in the radio is ok and it works just fine. The radio is completely normal.

crazyboy

No drivers assuming you are using a real com port. You can go into device manager to see what the com port number is.

KI7BPU

Com1 is the serial port on this one. Ive read the radio multiple times now. Only thing is the frequency input box doesn't allow me to put in the desired frequencies.

I'm thinking CPS is corrupt somehow. I do remember looking at my codeplug just to get some frequencies out of it so I could type them in my FPP mobile about 6 months ago and they were all gone. It did exactly the same thing to that codeplug as it's doing to this one. I'm going to try installing another copy of CPS and see if it corrects the problem.

madrabbitt

disable the frequency picklist option in CPS.

couldnt tell you how to do it in the older CPS, but that was an issue i ran into with astro cps.

basically, theres a feature where you pre-program any possible frequencies you're entering into a list, then CPS only allows you to pick from that list.
If you have it enabled, but no frequencies on the list, the things you're describing occur.

cmdrwill

Also, you need to use the create Personality screen in the CPS, and then assign that Personality, ie: frequency, to a Zone/ channel.

KI7BPU

disable the frequency picklist option in CPS.

couldnt tell you how to do it in the older CPS, but that was an issue i ran into with astro cps.

basically, theres a feature where you pre-program any possible frequencies you're entering into a list, then CPS only allows you to pick from that list.
If you have it enabled, but no frequencies on the list, the things you're describing occur.
That's what the problem was. In the CPS I have you go to view>options>Frequency options> Frequency Picklists and disable it. It doesn't take effect until a new codeplug is loaded or you close and reopen CPS.

Sorry for the late replies everyone, I'm a new member and they need to verify that I'm not spamming and what not.

Thanks everybody for the help!!!

KI7BPU

All figured out! I made this codeplug almost two years ago on another laptop and had my friend write it to my radio. I have 120 personalities on 7 zones I think.
The zone chargers are set to zero so I can have the full 12 characters for the channel names.

Status
Not open for further replies.