• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

motorolla to boafeng UV-5R V2+

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I can't seem to get them to work based on the channel summary I shared in a prior post. I'm not sure what to set the ctscc, or carrier squelch to.

The other radios aren't using CTCSS, they are using DCS. One channel is 677, the other is 425. That's what you need to use on your Baofeng for the DCS Transmit, or whatever Baofeng calls it. I don't know, as I don't own a Baofeng.

nd5y

Here are the the Baofeng radio menus and corresponding CHIRP programming software settings.
Menu 10 R-DCS is receive DPL or DCS
Menu 11 R-CTCS is receive PL or CTCSS
Menu 12 T-DCS is transmit DPL or DCS
Menu 13 T-CTCS is transmit PL or CTCSS
Setting any of those to OFF disables the function.

n1das

Here is by far the best DCS/DPL writeup I've been able to find:

I stick to using Motorola's original set of 83 DPL codes, which are a subset of the 104 standard DCS codes and have been implemented by all manufacturers. Motorola's 83 DPL codes have been fully vetted and are known to work. The additional codes which make up the list of 104 codes might not work as well as Motorola's 83 codes. Also not all manufacturers have implemented the full set of 104 codes beyond Motorola's original 83 codes.

Last edited:

n1das

T-DCS needs to be 677 on 452.725, and 425 on 464.525.

425 (normal) is a duplicate of 255 (normal). 255 is one of the standard 104 codes.
677 (normal) is a duplicate of 011 (inverted). I don't think the Baofeng has this code. It is not one of the standard 104 codes.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Theoretically if I was trying to transmit?

Let's focus on getting the Baofeng to receive something first. Set the receive squelch to off/none/N/A or whatever those radios use and try transmitting with the work provided radio. Let us know if you hear the transmission on the Baofeng.

Once you get that resolved, then we'll work on the rest.

One step at a time…..

rigaud0520

Let's focus on getting the Baofeng to receive something first. Set the receive squelch to off/none/N/A or whatever those radios use and try transmitting with the work provided radio. Let us know if you hear the transmission on the Baofeng.

Once you get that resolved, then we'll work on the rest.

One step at a time…..

I can get it to receive just fine with frequency set correctly. but when i push the PTT button on the Baof the light on the Motorola blinks but doesn't receive any sound or solid transmission.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
425 (normal) is a duplicate of 255 (normal). 255 is one of the standard 104 codes.
677 (normal) is a duplicate of 011 (inverted). I don't think the Baofeng has this code. It is not one of the standard 104 codes.

No clue. I don't own a Baofeng. I'm going off of what he posted from the Motorola CPS.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I can get it to receive just fine with frequency set correctly. but when i push the PTT button on the Baof the light on the Motorola blinks but doesn't receive any sound or solid transmission.

OK, then that means that the Transmit DCS code is not the same as what is in the Motorola.

Do you have the ability to read the file out of the Motorola?

Also, make sure the radios are not too close together. If you are holding both of them and doing this, it's easy for the transmitting radio to overload the receiver on the other radio and cause issues. Have someone take it in another room and try.

rigaud0520

OK, then that means that the Transmit DCS code is not the same as what is in the Motorola.

Do you have the ability to read the file out of the Motorola?

Also, make sure the radios are not too close together. If you are holding both of them and doing this, it's easy for the transmitting radio to overload the receiver on the other radio and cause issues. Have someone take it in another room and try.

so the 255 worked on channel 2 had to hook a mic to the boa cause its garbage and the external mike does not work... but being as the 452.725 is primary the code for 677 is the one i need to figure out if at all possible. you guys rock appreciate all the assistance and knowledge!!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
so the 255 worked on channel 2 had to hook a mic to the boa cause its garbage and the external mike does not work... but being as the 452.725 is primary the code for 677 is the one i need to figure out if at all possible. you guys rock appreciate all the assistance and knowledge!!

OK. Yeah, a DCS of 677 might be a problem.

I know you said you are using this Baofeng as a way to learn about radio, but they ARE really crappy radios, and without proper test equipment to rule it out, I'd consider the fact that it may be far enough out of whack to not work correctly. We had some show up at a work site. They started complaining that the "repeater system was crap" Repeater wasn't perfect, but on a good radio is was fine. On the Baofengs is was nearly unusable. I put the Baofengs on a service monitor and they were all over the place.

In other words, I'd suspect any issues are on the Baofeng side.

rigaud0520

OK. Yeah, a DCS of 677 might be a problem.

I know you said you are using this Baofeng as a way to learn about radio, but they ARE really crappy radios, and without proper test equipment to rule it out, I'd consider the fact that it may be far enough out of whack to not work correctly. We had some show up at a work site. They started complaining that the "repeater system was crap" Repeater wasn't perfect, but on a good radio is was fine. On the Baofengs is was nearly unusable. I put the Baofengs on a service monitor and they were all over the place.

In other words, I'd suspect any issues are on the Baofeng side.

I think that is definitely the issue I ordered a better quality one and another brand that seemed like it might work. the end goal is to crosslink to a zello channel. i demoed Tango Tango but it is super pricey for how much it might be used.
the zello which I have only working one way do to the fact the base station I have is essentially the same as the uv5r is also garbage and wont transmit at all. it doesn't even light up when you push the ptt button. I just find radio comms really cool and want to learn more about the different aspects.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I think that is definitely the issue I ordered a better quality one and another brand that seemed like it might work. the end goal is to crosslink to a zello channel. i demoed Tango Tango but it is super pricey for how much it might be used.
the zello which I have only working one way do to the fact the base station I have is essentially the same as the uv5r is also garbage and wont transmit at all. it doesn't even light up when you push the ptt button. I just find radio comms really cool and want to learn more about the different aspects.

Your problem isn't so much the radio (though the legality of using that radio is certainly a problem), as it is what DCS tones the radio supports. You might have very well wasted your money on another radio if you didn't do any research into the supported tones.

677 is not a standard DCS tone. My Motorola gear supports anything from 000 to 777 in 1 step increments. My Anytone 878 also supports that. My Hytera gear, and ham gear, however, only supports the standard tones.

Your options are to get a radio that supports all the various tones, or reprogram the Motorola radios to a tone that the Baotrash or whatever other radio you get supports.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Check to be sure that both radio types express the DPL code in the same format. If one is decimal and the other is octal, then you'll have to convert from one to the other.

777 octal is 511 decimal. Just that out.

How to find out? See if any DPL code can be entered where any digit is 8 or 9. If it can, then it's accepting decimal. Octal will accept only 0 thru 7 in each digit.

Status
Not open for further replies.