Mototola XTS 5000 Scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shocker81

As of this last Friday I now own 4 of these fantastic scanners. They have all of Sedgwick County, Butler County, Harvey County, Reno County fire/ems, Sumner County SO and the Kansas Turnpike Authority installed in them now. Get them at the Derby Radio Shack.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Those are not scanners, they are P25 radios designed for public service. If not configured properly, they can cause you a lot of trouble. Based on the RS stores I have dealt with in the past, the employees at the store have little or no knowledge of professional electronics.

shocker81

How much are they selling them for?
They are selling them for $400.00 plus tax for the ones without a keypad and $425.00 with a keypad but the pads and the transmitter have been disabled. They have been programmed by a electronics expert not Radio Shack employees. There are no dropouts. You never miss a conversation or a call with these. There is nothing illegal about them. Radio Shack is selling them on
Yeah that RS can get in deep deep doo doo for those
What makes you think so?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
They are selling them for $400.00 plus tax for the ones without a keypad and $425.00 with a keypad but the pads and the transmitter have been disabled. They have been programmed by a electronics expert not Radio Shack employees. There are no dropouts. You never miss a conversation or a call with these. There is nothing illegal about them. Radio Shack is selling them on

What makes you think so?
Because in order to program a motorola radio on a trunk system requires a system key that is the property of motorola and the system holder. Using a tool to create a fake software key can be construed under most states as a felony computer crime.

clbsquared

What makes you think so?

I do not see this ending well. While it may not be illegal to posses the radio. The programming of said radio and the fact that it could be accessing a P25 trunked system is questionable. I challenge you to get near a group of LEO's and let them see you with a Motorola radio programmed to their system.
I highly doubt they are an authorized Motorola Public Safety Supplier. And unless they have a key generator graciously given to them from MSI and permission from each agency they are programming into the XTS transceiver, they are skating on thin ice. Regardless of the radios ability to transmit, tools were needed to do this that are proprietary.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
a good example of how bad this can go is Stark County, OH
one thing selling the radios but.... selling programmed radios opens up some very serious legal concerns, especially if they are programmed improperly, if they affiliate they will be bricked quickly and rightly so, so you bought a $400 paperweight, save that $400 and get a Unication.

Not to mention if they go Phase 2 the radio is useless and has almost zero resale value

I fail to understand why people can't use simple common sense and quit trying to ruin things for the rest of us, I guess they like to watch the world burn

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Four XTS5000 M1 radios for $400 is a fair price. $400 each is not good at all.

prcguy

So what if the transmitters have actually been disabled by physically removing something or cutting a trace? In that case they can never affiliate and are no different than an everyday police scanner. I agree $400 is way too much for an old 5000. I prefer the newer and smaller XTS-2500 and $400 is way too much for one of those also.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Apparently the RS there has been at it a while. Awfully bold of them, but I guess just being a RS doesn't keep the bills paid.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
So what if the transmitters have actually been disabled by physically removing something or cutting a trace? In that case they can never affiliate and are no different than an everyday police scanner. I agree $400 is way too much for an old 5000. I prefer the newer and smaller XTS-2500 and $400 is way too much for one of those also.
Missing the point

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Yeah as big of a deal of affiliating would be, it's using that stolen moto software to make those system keys. Unless they've magically figured out a way to not need an actual key or the software.... but even then it's still the key to someone else's system. I know there are tons of people that do this to their own personal radios, but I damn sure would never advertise a service and make money off of it. That's just begging for trouble.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
a good example of how bad this can go is Stark County, OH
one thing selling the radios but.... selling programmed radios opens up some very serious legal concerns, especially if they are programmed improperly, if they affiliate they will be bricked quickly and rightly so, so you bought a $400 paperweight, save that $400 and get a Unication.

Not to mention if they go Phase 2 the radio is useless and has almost zero resale value

I fail to understand why people can't use simple common sense and quit trying to ruin things for the rest of us, I guess they like to watch the world burn
What exactly would be ruined for the 'rest of us'?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
What exactly would be ruined for the 'rest of us'?
This is the kind of thing that pushes systems admins and law enforcement to put that big 'E' on everything. Therefore ruining the scanning hobby for the rest of us. If you wanna NAS your moto yourself have at it. Just don't go around advertising it or selling a service doing it. You would think this wouldn't have to even be said.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Is encryption ever really the end result of rogue radios? From what I read here, sys admins readily brick those radios as part of normal daily operations and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.