MotoTRBO and other fun stuff in N.Neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Went up to Colonial Beach this afternoon. Police are still P25 on 460.2125. NAC 193. The sheriff came on 460.6375 by mistake (trying to call state units in the county on SIRS) and revealed an NAC of 193 there also.

The bad news is that 154.4375 is active in Richmond County and it sounds like MotoTRBO. The fcc data has this licensed to the sheriff. Not QRM from the STARS tower, because I also heard it come up in Colonial Beach. When passing through Warsaw on the way home, Warsaw PD was making traffic stops on 39.86 [100.], with two brand-new looking cars.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

bobmintern

I work with a user of the new system in Richmond County, he said so far even during the inital testing phases with the single tower in Warsaw they are having very good success with the system. Kind of a bummer we won't be able to scan it, but from what he understands they will be keeping the VHF low-band patch for fire up and running. He was unsure about the police side.

bobmintern

Just an update, not so sure if Nextedge is in use in Richmond Co. I had a chance to see one of the users portables for the new system. It was an iCom radio, didn't really have much time to scope it out but it looks like it was either a IC-F70 or F80.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Just an update, not so sure if Nextedge is in use in Richmond Co. I had a chance to see one of the users portables for the new system. It was an iCom radio, didn't really have much time to scope it out but it looks like it was either a IC-F70 or F80.
It appears F70=VHF and F80=UHF.

n1das

There is no "Nextedge". Kenwood's system is NEXEDGE (no "T" in the spelling) and is compatible with Icom's iDAS in 6.25k conventional mode. I have successfully used Kenwood NEXEDGE portables on an iCom iDAS conventional system in 6.25k digital mode.

Icom F70 = VHF P25-capable (I used to own a pair of F70DT portables, what a POS!)
Icom F80 = UHF P25-capable

I say P25-capable because there are versions with and without P25.

If they were using iDAS instead of P25, the radios could have been from the F3161/F4161 model series.

If you know what raw (undecoded) P25 data sounds like, then you should be able to tell the difference if it's iDAS you're hearing or P25. iDAS transmits with narrower deviation and the raw data will sound quieter than raw P25. The raw (undecoded) iDAS data will also sound muffled compared to raw P25. Raw iDAS data also sounds different from raw MotoTRBO data.

Last edited:

bobmintern

There is no "Nextedge". Kenwood's system is NEXEDGE (no "T" in the spelling) and is compatible with Icom's iDAS in 6.25k conventional mode. I have successfully used Kenwood NEXEDGE portables on an iCom iDAS conventional system in 6.25k digital mode.

Icom F70 = VHF P25-capable (I used to own a pair of F70DT portables, what a POS!)
Icom F80 = UHF P25-capable

I say P25-capable because there are versions with and without P25.

If they were using iDAS instead of P25, the radios could have been from the F3161/F4161 model series.

If you know what raw (undecoded) P25 data sounds like, then you should be able to tell the difference if it's iDAS you're hearing or P25. iDAS transmits with narrower deviation and the raw data will sound quieter than raw P25. The raw (undecoded) iDAS data will also sound muffled compared to raw P25. Raw iDAS data also sounds different from raw MotoTRBO data.

I'm not actually anywhere near the Northern Neck, but I do work with someone who is a direct user of the system, so I have no way of listening to the raw audio from the new system.

Chances are good they are the F70's, my understanding is the new system is on VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.