MotoTRBO and similar systems in Alberta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I just discovered that the PSR-800 doesn't function as I thought it did. The audio I've been feeding DSD is filtered, non-discriminator recordings, not actual "raw" audio.

I won't say that my discoveries above are invalidated, but let me go back and reconfirm them. I'll record discriminator audio off the tap (headphone jack) to a PC instead of letting the scanner do the recording, and we'll see what we get from there.

MrVelvet

Anything's possible, but it has occurred to me that I haven't recently heard Okotoks FD on the nightly pager tests that FRCC does ~1800. I wonder if the guys down that way (robertmac and etc) might take the tone off 158.805 as well and tell me if you hear anything similar, and/or just mention if you've heard Okotoks FD lately in analog.
I'll tune in for the radio and pager test tonight and let you know what I come up with Jay.

MrVelvet

Well, they just completed tonight's radio and pager test and both Okotoks tests were absent.

158.805 was only used for a Station 7 (Blackie) test.

MrVelvet

Perhaps the new system is online now?

Town of Okotoks
2010 Budget
Project Detail
Project Name: Radio Communications
Project Number: 23006
Project Costs: $48,740
Funding Sources: General Recap Reserve $7,940
Municipal Sustainability Initiative Op $40,800
Council Strategic Direction:
Provide a safe community – Maintaining Public Safety and security is integral to
the quality of life for our residents, as provided through resources that focus on
strategic prevention activities and timely emergency services.
Project Description:
This project would be to upgrade from an analog communications system to a
digital communications system. With the current system we are presently using
we experience partial conversations, dead spots and an inability to contact
dispatch in certain areas.
Project Scope:
The digital radio gives extended coverage and strong security. Digital trunking
technology operates on a similar protocol as the digital cell phone system. The
system automatically determines the best site to register a mobile unit while
travelling through the network. The digital system has the ability to communicate
with other radio systems like the proposed First Responders province wide
upgrade.
The proposed system supports both digital and analog radio systems by common
transceiver technology. This will allow the Okotoks Department to communicate
with other fire departments that are not using the digital technology.
The new system will include:
45 Kenwood digital portable radios NX200 @ $928 each $41,760
10 Kenwood digital mobile radios NX700K @ $698 each $6,980
Total $48,740

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't sound good

Supports what Jay911 heard. And I didn't hear anything as well on 158.805 tonight. Lot on 158.955. I guess I can't buy the "security" aspect of going to the Kenwoods/digital. If it gives them better signals, that is good. But I still hear complaints of CPS comms. going digital on them. At least with the analog, one could make out some words and might get a feeling for what is going on. With digital, when it goes it is all D2 junk. But with them going digital, unless one lets us know, we will not know how good/bad it is. Will just have to listen to airport more. Especially when the power goes out and their emerg. generators don't kick in.

MrVelvet

Supports what Jay911 heard. And I didn't hear anything as well on 158.805 tonight. Lot on 158.955. I guess I can't buy the "security" aspect of going to the Kenwoods/digital. If it gives them better signals, that is good. But I still hear complaints of CPS comms. going digital on them. At least with the analog, one could make out some words and might get a feeling for what is going on. With digital, when it goes it is all D2 junk. But with them going digital, unless one lets us know, we will not know how good/bad it is. Will just have to listen to airport more. Especially when the power goes out and their emerg. generators don't kick in.

Yeah, there was an accident in Nanton that had 158.805 going pretty steady right around the time of the test as well.

I haven't purposefully tuned into the night test for some time, but I did notice quite a lot of checks on 159.01500 - is this standard?

Jay911

Feed Provider
I haven't purposefully tuned into the night test for some time, but I did notice quite a lot of checks on 159.01500 - is this standard?

IIRC they now link every department beyond Nanton on that channel with a form of IRLP/configurable link system. You'll hear for example "Link 18 up" before Vulcan gets a call.

We should start a new thread for FRCC if we're going to talk about them, and keep this thread for the other digital modes being heard in our area.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
"The digital system has the ability to communicate
with other radio systems like the proposed First Responders province wide
upgrade."

Don't know if I buy this or not. Does that Kenwood model do 700 MHz and VHF? Perhaps they can do it through patches. Does Okotoks still have the ability to go analog on provincial fire or Ambulance for STARS?

Jay911

Feed Provider
Let's go here for further discussions about Okotoks and other FRCC agencies, and keep this thread for identifying TRBO/NXDN/etc systems.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Doing some decodes today using DSD and "live" output from my PSR-800.

462.5375 is definitely Supply Chain Management in Whitehorn.

463.9375 may be multiple agencies. I heard part of a conversation this morning mentioning a trailer, so I would be willing to believe it is SCM's Crossiron depot. That doesn't explain the strong signal I got downtown the other day.

452.4375 is sending some signal fairly strongly in the NE right now. The sole license in Calgary area for that frequency is SCM's Whitehorn depot.

I intend to try to get into Okotoks right around the time of pager tests tonight to see if things work out in that regard.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

156.6 confirmed Okotoks.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Spent an hour or so in Airdrie today listening to 169.41, the Public Works channel. I am using DSD to decode the audio and a Java program called DMR Decode to analyze the signal. I can't use them at the same time on my Linux netbook, so the files in the attached zip below are not from the same chunk of data stream.

The Java program runs on both Linux and Windows and will tell you a bunch of things like color codes (channel identifiers, if I understand it right), "talkgroup" and radio IDs, and the makeup of the radio system. It does not decode voice.

Thread for DMR Decode: http://forums.radioreference.com/digital-voice-decoding-software/191957-java-program-decode-dmr.html

Thread for DSD: http://forums.radioreference.com/di...are/189035-dsd-1-4-mbelib-1-2-3-released.html

Airdrie Public Works is identifying as color code 4, talkgroup 2, with radios in the 7600 ranges (7604, 7610, and 7611 are the ones I saw). It is a "non-emergency/non-priority" system which leads me to believe it is a very basic "garden variety" TRBO setup.

Copy of the text output saved from DMR Decode and the wav file made by DSD (converted to mp3) here: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

SCPD

QRT
I'm pretty sure by the end of 2011 there will be a software definable radio loaded with DSD or something similar out there. There a few right now working on such a beast.

Image this, have a radio that could decode:

Mototrbo
Edacs PV
OpenSky
Apco 25 phase two
NEXEDGETM
Apco 25

Lets see if Upman can top this

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
I myself have been looking forward to seeing that kind of radio (and MPT1327 and iDEN and etc).. and I think, technologically speaking, it should be as simple as putting another "decoder module" (software-wise, not physically) into some of the newest scanners, but what happened to "no one will ever ever ever make a radio that does ProVoice/OpenSky/insert_protocol_here"?

Jay911

Feed Provider
Until RR gets back to me on what procedure we will be using to store talkgroups on single-frequency digital systems, I will post this here (since it's MotoTRBO system related).

169.41, Airdrie "Public Works", appears to have at least 2 talkgroups active on its frequency. From my monitoring yesterday, it would seem that talkgroup 1 is Municipal Enforcement. Educated guess therefore puts talkgroup 2 as Public Works.

Supply Chain Management appears to have at least one full Capacity Plus trunk system in use and maybe a second one (one at its Whitehorn facility and one at the Balzac plant as well).

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
153.305 again

Since I unlocked and started scanning 153.305, I haven't heard anything during the evening, until now. Around 2000 hrs. Calgary time, has been very active with MotoTRBO TX. Looked at various frequencies for coupled frequenies and tried to listen to them. The only frequency that I thought might have some MotoTRBO at the same time as 153.305 was 154.385. This is not very reliable as any noise on 154.385 was very faint and could very well have been static.

Jay911

Feed Provider
154.385 checks in on TAFL as the repeater input for 153.305 on a ton of licenses for "Alberta Wide" oil/gas exploration companies, as well as several helicopter outfits including Alpine.

Is it for sure TRBO or could it be some kind of telemetry?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber

Really sounds like MotoTRBO [much different than 156.600] and more like the UHF freq. already identified. Not telemetry to my knowledge. Some transmissions were about 20 secs. long, others a little shorter. Uniden again did not identify it as P25. As of 2330 Calgary time, still has digital sound on 153.305.

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
I picked up 424.2875 over the past couple of days in Calgary. Unlicensed at least as far as TAFL is concerned. I'll have to try to get a decode of it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.