Mototrbo decode with BC 780XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dward42586

Premium Subscriber
I have installed required discriminator tap in my old BC780XLT and will attempt to decode mototrbo transmissions which local PD has switched to.

If anyone has or is doing this with their BC780XLT I would greatly appreciate it if you are willing to share the details of how you are set up.

Dave Ward NB6B

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
After installing the tap, it will pretty much be the same as any other scanner with the tap. I've had good luck with DSD and now DSD+ to decode DMR (Mototrbo).

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I have installed required discriminator tap in my old BC780XLT and will attempt to decode mototrbo transmissions which local PD has switched to.

If anyone has or is doing this with their BC780XLT I would greatly appreciate it if you are willing to share the details of how you are set up.

Dave Ward NB6B

Dave, I am just starting on this road myself and only have two of the many programs loaded that will be needed to work together to successfully decode the various digital modes that the scanner can't. However, it is a significant learning curve and many different programs will be needed to get it to work.

The following has a lot of material on this very subject including detailed step by step guides and UTube videos as well. I have spent hours reading and looking at the videos but unlike you I do not have a need for this just something to do (only P25 here & my scanners handle it fine), so you will have more drive than me to see it through.

Check here:

Digital Voice Decoding Software - The RadioReference.com Forums

frazpo

Dave, I am just starting on this road myself and only have two of the many programs loaded that will be needed to work together to successfully decode the various digital modes that the scanner can't. However, it is a significant learning curve and many different programs will be needed to get it to work.

The following has a lot of material on this very subject including detailed step by step guides and UTube videos as well. I have spent hours reading and looking at the videos but unlike you I do not have a need for this just something to do (only P25 here & my scanners handle it fine), so you will have more drive than me to see it through.

Check here:

Digital Voice Decoding Software - The RadioReference.com Forums

Its not quite that daunting. You have the tap. An audio cable and dsd or dsd+ and you can be decoding in minutes. Maybe N0UDG is speaking of setting up an SDR or something. I would suggest DSD+. Most are having better luck with decodes. I would suggest searching your area for other types of digital radio. I am surprised by what I have run across.

Improved Digital Voice P25 Decoding with DSD+ - rtl-sdr.com

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Hi Frazpo,

I should have asked Wx5uif if his PD was trunked since the two dongle method being used by everyone in a trunking situation and a few with scanner Taps, required something like a dozen programs or more to be loaded and several working together.

The two programs I mentioned I had loaded are DSD+ and SDR#. I will probably need virtual cable too but I already had two appropriate dongles so I will give that a go and see what happens. I am not really interested in trunking with DSD+ since I really do not need any decoding done so here is hoping you are correct.

I believe the author of Unitrunker is working on merging his program and SDR# which may be available in a few months.

Wx5yuf, if your PD is not trunked and if your scanner tap is good (is it direct or did you add a 10K resistor in series?) you should try Frazpo suggestion. In a way that is what I am doing but I have no need and no doubt you need it to work and work well.

Good Luck!

cg

Premium Subscriber
You only need the extra programs if you are using the USB SDRs. If you are using the discriminator tap, the only software you need is DSDPlus. Run a cable from your tap to your computer, set the scanner on the frequency you want, and run the software.

chris

frazpo

RF23

Premium Subscriber
You only need the extra programs if you are using the USB SDRs. If you are using the discriminator tap, the only software you need is DSDPlus. Run a cable from your tap to your computer, set the scanner on the frequency you want, and run the software.

chris

Would this still be true if his PD is part of a digitally trunked system?

I was not aware that DSD+ could decode and trunk too.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
dward42586, I have some good news for you. I have been reading more about DSD+ (DSDplus) and it appears that it will handle trunked systems.

So the advice the others gave you should work great. Below is some of the switches you will need to set for DSD+ that are specific for MOTOturbo:

http://forums.radioreference.com/digital-voice-decoding-software/280577-dsdplus-11.html

The first presentation of the switches has one mistake which he corrects a few post down.

I checked the RR Database and it seem your fire department has a call group on the OKWIN system which is Motorola P25. I could not find any mention of your PD however, you may have to ask around in the Oklahoma group to see if someone knows for sure it is MOTOturbo. Then you might wish to check the FCC database as I know of two cities in Missouri that MOTOturbo was listed but one turned out to be P25 and the other NXDN.

After finding the capabilities of DSD+ and all the help you guys have given both me and dward42586 I am now going to tap my BC780XL (which is just setting in a box) and have some fun!

frazpo

NouDG, Did you get my PM?

On the subject of DSD+ I would suggest downloading DSDtune also. This will utilize the filtering options of dsd+ and automatically generate the best settings. It works.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Hi Frazpo,

I sure have not had a chance to check my personal messages with the holidays and all the company I have been somewhat busy.

However, late last night I did find DSDtune (but did not have a chance to read about it) and a Russian program that was suppose to turn your DSD into a scanner or something but I decide not to download it.

I will download DSDtune and give it a try as I already have DSD+ on my computer. From what I have read as good as DSD+ is it is better with the correct switches so this DSDtune could really be helpful.

Thanks for letting me know about this as I am very new to this stuff and really do not really understand what little I know.

Thanks again,

frazpo

I sure have not had a chance to check my personal messages with the holidays and all the company I have been somewhat busy.

I was speaking of your radioreference private messages with this forum. I didnt want to repeat on the board so I just sent you a PM. If you scroll up a bit and look on the right side you will see a greeting and number of private messages under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.