• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mototrbo Digital Phone a Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astubs

I am a relative novice when it comes to LMR, but have just stood up a Mototrbo Digital UHF Radio system for my organization. We are running 3 XPR 8400 repeaters connected via IPSC and 20 radios (combination of XPR 7550, SL 7550, and XPR 3500). I would like to implement a digital phone patch for the sole purpose of connecting our radio users with our non-radio users over our PBX. We are located in a major metropolitan area and as such are prevented form connected to the PTSN.

I've looked into some of the software solutions including Teldio, SmartPTT, TRBONet, etc., but have found them prohibitively expensive and/or complicated. I am now exploring the use of a COTS Analog Phone Patch such as one of those produced by Zetron.

I would anticipate dedicating our 2nd time slot to the phone patch. We would like for non-radio users to be able to reach a specific radio user by dialing an extension on our PBX.

Any suggestions, help, or caution would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Firebuff880

Look at the EID - HKVN4049A - Digital Telephone Interconnect - XPR Repeater

Depending on your technical expertise this combined with an Asterisk box makes a great solution, but you may just want a Zetron interface for simplicity..

I have to ask, based on the questions you are posting, don't you have a dealer you work with ?

Astubs

Thank Firebuff. We actually have an existing Avaya PBX we would like to connect to, so I don't think we'd benefit from Asterisk. Do you have any experience with the the Zetron box solution?

We do have a dealer we've worked with to purchase the system, one of the biggest national Motorola dealers. Unfortunately they haven't been super helpful with the configuration. When we were first configuring the system, they didn't review any of the options with us, emergency handling, etc. and gave been pushing us towards very expensive software based phone patch solutions like Teldio. Consequently I am trying to develop as much expertise with the system as possible.

Firebuff880

My experience is second hand with the Zetron, understood the were some use issues in that the full duplex phone and half duplex radio connections require a DTMF to simulate the mic release currently.

Even with the Avaya you MAY find that putting in the necessary over dials to talk with radios verses groups will be easier on the Asterisk box as well as being able to do SIP to SIP where as the Zetron I believe is Analog only.

Sorry, you are not happy with your dealer, I would try and find someone more local. The big national dealers are mostly about boxes not necessarily personal service. Also, if you check your MOL account for the service number, Motorola 800 support is pretty good at helping with configuration options / issues.

===================

com501

The Zetron is fully supported by MOL, and consists of a digital radio side to analog phone patch connection. That's what you will get, no matter whom you choose. There will be no digital radio to SIP phone connection.

Firebuff880

The Zetron is fully supported by MOL, and consists of a digital radio side to analog phone patch connection. That's what you will get, no matter whom you choose. There will be no digital radio to SIP phone connection.

Actually the EID is a four wire analog output. By using an Asterisk IPBX with the ham radio / four wire divers , instead of the Zetron you can connect to all sorts of things, SIP is just one of them.

http://www.xelatec.com/xipar/node/68

==========================

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.