• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MotoTRBO Firmware Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESQ766

I purchased a MotoTRBO XPR 5550. It is currently running on firmware version R02.30.21 and CP version 06.03.10. I am trying to update the firmware to the most recent version I downloaded the firmware and installed it but when I try to update the radio with CPS 2.0 it tells me that the codeplug version is not supported. When I try with CPS 16 it tells me that no package could be found. How can I get this to work?

RESQ766

If you used the most resent FIRMWARE you have to use the most recent SOFTWARE which has been posted here.

I am using the most recent software but when I try to update the firmware it tells me that the codeplug is not supported.

celltech25

I am using the most recent software but when I try to update the firmware it tells me that the codeplug is not supported.

You may have to step it up in increments, I have had bad luck trying to jump big gaps in firmware updates..

also have your tried to read and write the radio in 2.0 before the update

RESQ766

You may have to step it up in increments, I have had bad luck trying to jump big gaps in firmware updates..

also have your tried to read and write the radio in 2.0 before the update
For some reason I only see version 2.9 and up

RESQ766

Are you aware of the consequences from doing that? I wouldn’t do anything, unless there are specific features the newer FW will give you that you are dying to have.
I need to in order to use my mobile control head

Tech21

You need to update firmware in increments. 2.3->2.xx->2.xx.

Code plug version not supported is because the CPS version doesn't support that firmware or codeplug version. Update in 16.0 to 2.9 and then update to 2.10 in 2.0

IMPRES2

All of mine sit at R02.09. Last "safest" firmware.

The latest, “safest” firmware is R02.10.05.0002
I manage a Customer fleet of over 1200 XPR 5550 (with a decent mix of K/W/R indexes) with zero issues on that firmware; after you learn CPS 2.0 it isn’t much of an an issue. I will say that transitioning from 16.0 to 2.0 was a multi-week learning process.

I am trying to update the firmware to the most recent version I downloaded the firmware and installed it but when I try to update the radio with CPS 2.0 it tells me that the codeplug version is not supported. When I try with CPS 16 it tells me that no package could be found. How can I get this to work?

To answer the OP’s question; if you are on R02.30.01 then you are running the very second release of TRBO firmware. You never want to jump more than two versions at a time unless you don’t mind the risk of your radio failing out and bricking.

I would recommend locating the below firmware packs and CPS versions:
FW: R02.50.04
CPS: R12.1 (Build 645)

FW: R02.07.01.0000
CPS: 14.0 (Build 717)

FW: R02.09.01.0001
CPS: 16.0 (Build 823)

FW: R02.10.05.0002
CPS: 2.21.61.0

K2NEC

I manage a Customer fleet of over 1200 XPR 5550 (with a decent mix of K/W/R indexes) with zero issues on that firmware; after you learn CPS 2.0 it isn’t much of an an issue. I will say that transitioning from 16.0 to 2.0 was a multi-week learning process.
That's the thing, CPS2.0 sucks. All it's features (or lack therof) and it's SUPER slow and unresponsive, make it a difficult piece of software to use and many consider it a step backwards from R16. I could argue about this all day but it's not related to the OP's question, and this isn't the time or place to do it.

Firebuff880

I would never manage this many radios with CPS anything -- You need to get on the Radio Manager band wagon.. CPS 2.0 was an after thought when the community rebelled against an RM only solution. But it is far from complete and never will be, I would not even bet against it going away completely in the future.

As far as stable firmware, I agree, unless you have a specific Cap Max need I would stay on R02.10.05.nnn as well, An to go beyond that you will have to get there first !!

IMPRES2

I would never manage this many radios with CPS anything -- You need to get on the Radio Manager band wagon..

It’s all RM now :) that was part of the upgrade and migration process but wasn’t relevant to this post so I kept my original reply short

Status
Not open for further replies.