Mototrbo in Sentinel w/BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
I'm wanting to monitor my company's radios, and here's what I know.

I have all the frequencies allocated for our systems.

There are 4 repeaters

We are NOT using a trunked system.

Here's my question... When I go to add these into Sentinel, how exactly should I add them?

For instance, I have a frequency of let's say "464.7750" and there is color 1 and color 2 (if this is the correct terminology for it) to allow 2 different business units to share the same frequency on one repeater via TDMA.

In sentinel, do I add it as conventional, and add the frequency twice, specifying different colors?
i.e.

0 Office1 464.7750 color1
1 Office2 464.7750 color2

Or would I just add a trunked system, and add the Offices under "departments" of the trunked system?

Or would I need to set each repeater up as a MotoTRBO Trnk?

Just a bit confused on how to add a non-trunked MotoTRBO system into Sentinel...

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
Ok, since I still can't find where to edit my original post... I'll make a shorter question after some more research...

What is the preferred way of entering in a Mototrbo conventional system into Sentinel for a BCD436HP?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If groups of users are differentiated by talk group ID, then enter as a One-Frequency Trunked system so that you can make that differentiation. If there is only one user group per slot, then it is fine to enter as conventional.

I've never heard of a repeater or system that differentiated users by color code on the same frequency/slot/repeater. Not saying it isn't happening, but I've not seen it. In that case, you'd have to enter the same freq/slot in two different conventional channels, each with its own color.

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
It finally started making sense now, following the directions on the TWiki.

UPMan, where it really started to make sense was with the talkgroup ID's, and using DSD+ to capture the tgid and slots.

Many thanks to both of ya! I'm starting to get our repeaters added, and it's working.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
In sentinel, do I add it as conventional, and add the frequency twice, specifying different colors?
i.e.

0 Office1 464.7750 color1
1 Office2 464.7750 color2

This is almost certainly wrong. Most repeaters require a single color code for everything broadcast from that repeater. What's more likely is that you'll have one frequency and color code, and timeslot 1 and timeslot 2 designated for different users.

The only time you will have same frequency with different color code is when two separate repeaters on the same frequency are close enough together for their coverage areas to overlap. If all the repeaters are on the same license they will usually each have their own frequency.

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
This is almost certainly wrong. Most repeaters require a single color code for everything broadcast from that repeater. What's more likely is that you'll have one frequency and color code, and timeslot 1 and timeslot 2 designated for different users.

The only time you will have same frequency with different color code is when two separate repeaters on the same frequency are close enough together for their coverage areas to overlap. If all the repeaters are on the same license they will usually each have their own frequency.

You're correct. I am still learning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.