Mototrbo in Shenandoah Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3glz

Premium Subscriber
I am now hearing what sounds to be Mototrbo on Staunton City Police primary frequency (460.175). I have been hearing rumblings around the local public service folks that Waynesboro City, Augusta County and Staunton City will be making the move to digital soon, but to Mototrbo digital and not to P25. Although I understand that there is a cost savings with this, it does kind of fly in the face of interoperability initiatives. I guess one saving grace is that Yaesu (which is owned by Motorola) is also introducing Mototrbo digital radios for amateur radio this year. We still should be able to monitor the locals again with this equipment. I'm also glad I didn't jump the gun and invest in DSTAR equipment prior to this annoucement. The days of being able to monitor the local public service folks with a simple FM analog scanner are quickly waning.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I am now hearing what sounds to be Mototrbo on Staunton City Police primary frequency (460.175). I have been hearing rumblings around the local public service folks that Waynesboro City, Augusta County and Staunton City will be making the move to digital soon, but to Mototrbo digital and not to P25. Although I understand that there is a cost savings with this, it does kind of fly in the face of interoperability initiatives. I guess one saving grace is that Yaesu (which is owned by Motorola) is also introducing Mototrbo digital radios for amateur radio this year. We still should be able to monitor the locals again with this equipment. I'm also glad I didn't jump the gun and invest in DSTAR equipment prior to this annoucement. The days of being able to monitor the local public service folks with a simple FM analog scanner are quickly waning.

You should be able to use DSD to decode them as well. From what you are describing, it sounds like they are on the same freq and not trunking so the DSD option would not be a big deal (other than being mobile or traveling through). To me, that makes no sense. What was wrong with that they had??

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
From reading a little more about Mototrbo, it has the capability to add some nice functions but I doubt they will actually utilize any of them.

Looks like if you live there you could get away with maybe getting a used radio from eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOROLA-MO...16542?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item48427e441e

Actually, if I lived there again (or still), I would think about a radio like this and have all the other UHF freqs added as well. Or like you mentioned, wait for Yaesu to come out with something and in the meantime, use DSD.

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber

Does anyone know when the Yaesu Mototrbo radios will be out?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping soon. I vacationed out there near Waynesboro. Be aware the radio probably will be at least $500 and what's with using mototrbo?? It seems like interoperability was pretty good in that area. I can't stand when agencies switch to a system that is incompatible with everything else or when they encrypt on a primary channel.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

mike_s104 said:
n3glz said:
...I guess one saving grace is that Yaesu (which is owned by Motorola) is also introducing Mototrbo digital radios for amateur radio this year. We still should be able to monitor the locals again with this equipment...

Does anyone know when the Yaesu Mototrbo radios will be out?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Yaesu has not said they are introducing Mototrbo for amateur radio, they have said they are introducing a C4FM, FDMA amateur radio and later will be introducing a C4FM, TDMA amatuer radio. Untill the radio is released at, probably, Dayton, nobody will know what it is compatible with.

Last edited:

n3glz

Premium Subscriber
Mototrbo In Shenandoah valley`

Although I am by no means an expert in digital radio, I believe Mototrbo is C4FM TDMA. Is it not?

N3GLZ

W2NJS

Does anyone have the slot number and color code for Staunton TRBO PD dispatch on 460.175, assuming that it's not encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.