• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOTOTRBO IP Site Connect Design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvanhorn

Hello all,
I am in my 3rd week at a Motorola radio shop. I’ve been out of the Two-Way radio scene for over 10 years. My how things have changed!!!
MOTOTRBO seems to be the big hitter now. IP site connect options are very interesting. We have many customers that use this.
I’m having issues wrapping my head around the entire system structure, mostly because I’ve yet to set one up from scratch.
I’m struggling with getting any sort of guidance.
I’d like to discuss in this thread some ideas on how others have designed a system for past customers. My goal is to create a Customer Design package I can use to help me when the time come I set a system up from scratch. I’ve looked and have yet to find anything like this online.
First thing first- System design is dependent on what the customer’s needs are and how they plan to use the system.

What are some questions you ask your customers?
This thread can seriously help out many on here that have to deal with IP site systems. We are going through the entire process until we build a sample code plug. I’m even going to create a “sample customer with needs” to model after.
Thanks in advance for the help and if anyone knows of a spreadsheet tool or any documentation on organized system design that can be modified as a template, please share.

Firebuff880

Have to agree with Mike.

System planner is the place to start. An if you are building customer systems, in a hotel or manufacturing plant then the Capacity Plus option probably makes more sense.

cvanhorn

I have a system planner my manager gave me, but it just a technical aspect of the functionality. Nothing much to go on here but to lern what the system is capable of doing. Can you provide a document number or link? I can hunt on MOL for this.
Thank you so much for help!
-C

cvanhorn

Have to remember guys, aboslutly no training on these systems. These were not even out when I was doing RF 10 years ago. Our sales Team defines what system goes in. My job is to work with the customer. It's a mess with no way of organizing, making creating the code plug a nightmare. My hopes are streamlining these concepts in the system planner down to excell spreadsheet to help manage this nightmare.

But it's all good. Lot to learn and I'm amped to learn it quickly.

cvanhorn

Update: I do have the systems planner (MOTOTRBO System Planner). I guess what I was looking for was Templates on this. Lots of great information, but I'll be creating a monster Spreadsheet to map out ( found in 4.10 Customer Fleetmap Development Section).
Thanks for all the great sugestions!

W4DIK

Site Connect

I third the recommendation on the system planner. It breaks down all the system options. I have 3 sites using Site Connect it works great. Depending on the needs of the user the trunking option may work better. It all depends on the users needs. Needs analysis is step one. We also use trunking on our 3 sites with 1000 radios.

DisasterGuy

Have you looked into taking the training and certification options available through the Motorola LMS? They specifically offer tracks for Capacity Plus and IP Site Connect.

SCPD

QRT
First thing.
Read and re-read Chapter 2 of the system planner until you understand it.
The rest of it is also useful information, but in my opinion, knowing Chapter 2 is the foundation if you want to be proficient with Trbo systems.

Here's an aside question to everyone?
Is there anything proprietary to sharing the system planner with anyone who wants it?
I know you need to have a Moto account to get to it, but it's not software.

The reason I ponder that question is because I don't see it in the files sections of the two most active Trbo yahoogroups I peruse from time to time. Seems like it should be there.

Interesting question.

DisasterGuy

It is copyrighted material but if you don't have an account it can be easily found on google various places including a popular P25 forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
In our radio shop, we install and maintain hundreds of IP SiteConnect systems (mostly for hotels and large convention centers). Although I cannot share our documentation, it has on it:

-List of customers expected "channels"
-List of radio IDs (contact list, by job description, not user name)
-List of repeaters with freq, color code, IP info, port info, etc
-Repeater physical location with pictures/building-floor-room number
-Radio Button assignment
-Job Ticket/Work Ticket info with server and radio settings such as HotSOS, Guestware, and Synergy

I hope this helps. TT

Status
Not open for further replies.