MotoTrbo or IDAS/NexEdge at Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

prc117f

DTR radios I hear have good results. the ones with the rubber ducky antennas.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
I am back from WDW. Nexedge I found had better coverage radio to radio in simplex mode than DMR. I had a clear signal from the front of AK to AK Resort. The clarity appeared better and the signal strength was better also. I recommend nexedge over DMR in WDW if you are operating simplex radio to radio.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to update you on my continued radio findings especially in areas where there is a lot of interference. Disney having a lot of RF in the parks I find is a great testing spot for the reliabillity of radios because of all the electrical etc interference. I have to say that NXDN also known as Icom IDAS and Kenwood Nexedge will perform the best. The 6.25khz noise floor really gets rid of the interference well. I have personally seen this to work better than 12.5 TDMA or MotoTrbo.

I recently did an experiment with NXDN and DMR (Mototrbo) where I took one NXDN radio in one hand and one DMR radio in the other, both with same output power and identical antennas. I actually lost the DMR signal where I had no communications in direct radio to radio mode. At this point I still had NXDN signal. I find for range NXDN performs better. Granted you do get two time slots with DMR but each has its benefits.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
I was at disney world a few weeks ago and I noticed that some of the XPR7550 radios really aren't standing up to everyday use. I noticed many radios where the numbers on the keypad were worn off. Some radios were taped together with black electrical tape. Obviously, motorola radios don't stand up to heavy use.

I also noticed that the radios behind the driver on the buses are now zip tied to the charger with a sealed tag on them. Whats up with that??

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
We have experienced the exact same performance improvement of nxdn 6.25 over dmr

I haven't had a chance to play with NXDN. With Kenwood coming out with a DMR lineup it kinda suggests that DMR might be the solution of the "format wars 6.25 kHz compliant edition". When I played with 25 kHz analog to 12.5 kHz DMR, I saw a 30% coverage increase...but that is also in an area where the oil field is using ISM and noise for 70 cm and UHF LMR is relatively low no matter what format you choose to use.

That being said, Hytera does have a portable DMR repeater (uses a circulator as a duplexer) but is about 3 times the cost of the Icom iDAS repeater (FR-8000?).

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I was at disney world a few weeks ago and I noticed that some of the XPR7550 radios really aren't standing up to everyday use. I noticed many radios where the numbers on the keypad were worn off. Some radios were taped together with black electrical tape. Obviously, motorola radios don't stand up to heavy use.

I also noticed that the radios behind the driver on the buses are now zip tied to the charger with a sealed tag on them. Whats up with that??

We have not experienced any problems with noise floor problems on DMR.

Our 7550's are holding up just fine at our Ethanol and Foundry plants.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Depends on how they get used/abused. I've got about 300 NX-410's on my system and a few that I've seen come through have some numbers wearing off the keypad. It's not just a Motorola thing.

Not a fair comparison, but the MTS-2000's that the NX-410s replaced held up pretty well.

Radios that sit on desks or are carried by supervisors/managers rarely take the abuse that some of the trade guys can dish out.

As to why the XPR's are not holding up, might just be how they are getting treated. I imagine Disney World with near 24x7 operations is pretty hard on equipment. I know from first hand experience that those that don't "own" the radio really don't take care of them very well. Ownership of a specific radio helps lifespan quite a bit.

Might be that the radios are assigned to specific busses. We're running mobiles on all our bus fleet, so it isn't an issue, but it does make life easier when you know that radio #xxxx is tied to bus #yyyy. Keeping people from swapping portable radios between vehicles by securely tagging them and strapping them in is a solution.

com501

It also prevents the radio from walking out of the charger by guests or employees....:lol:

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
WDW nxdn or dmr for comms on vacation

I have posted similar threads but thought I would revisit this topic and focus on the specifics of what type of digital format is good to use for comms while on vacation at WDW.. Nxdn or DMR? (I am licensed for both)

DMR- Dmr offers good digital coverage in the parks. Dmr offers small compact radios such as Hytera PD362 that are very comfortable to carry and use. The range will cover a parks with no problem. One thing to caution you, is that if you try to enter the parks with any mototrbo DMR radios that resemble what WDW uses they will try to confiscate them making you put them in a locker.

Nxdn- NXDN offers the best coverage. The coverage is far greater than DMR. For example not only will Nxdn cover the parks extremely well but offer even greater range. For example the front of Animal kingdom parking lot back to Animal kingdom lodge with no problem.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Threads merged.

Please don't start multiple threads asking the same question.

Thanks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am just curious, how are you specifically licensed for DMR or NXDN?

Sent from Samsung G4 on Tapatalk

The license will have an "emission designator" for each frequency. DMR/MotoTrbo and NXDN have different emission designators. Actually both NXDN and DMR have several different emission designators depending on exactly how you set things up.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
First, Thank you for merging the threads. I couldn't find this one.

Second, I applied for a part 90 business band license for the coordination of tours and group entertainment and listed for emission designators mototrbo and nxdn. It was approved.

MSS-Dave

First, Thank you for merging the threads. I couldn't find this one.

Second, I applied for a part 90 business band license for the coordination of tours and group entertainment and listed for emission designators mototrbo and nxdn. It was approved.
That's what I was wondering thanks for the reply. I didn't know from your previous posts that you applied for licensing on commercial frequencies, I thought you were using amateur frequencies. I maintain analog, DMR and Kenwood NexEdge systems so I'm familiar with the emission designation on licensing in the commercial world.

Very good information that you posted on the 6.25k ops running simplex BTW....

Dave

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
That's what I was wondering thanks for the reply. I didn't know from your previous posts that you applied for licensing on commercial frequencies, I thought you were using amateur frequencies. I maintain analog, DMR and Kenwood NexEdge systems so I'm familiar with the emission designation on licensing in the commercial world.

Very good information that you posted on the 6.25k ops running simplex BTW....

Dave

Yes dave, both dmr and nxdn have their pros and cons. Granted I love the features of dmr such as free form texting etc, but when you look at range on simplex, nxdn at 6.25 really gives the best range. The clarity is unbelievable.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Nxdn- NXDN offers the best coverage. The coverage is far greater than DMR. For example not only will Nxdn cover the parks extremely well but offer even greater range. For example the front of Animal kingdom parking lot back to Animal kingdom lodge with no problem.

Just to keep things real, the "as the crow flies" distance from the AK bus drop-off to the AK Lodge is slightly less than 1 mile. It probably seems like more when you drive it, but Disney is a master of space planning. Check it out on your favorite mapping application.

John AC4JK

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
a thought to the reasoning that nxdn radio is able to cover more area than DMR. In recent tests I am seeing that in a high RF environment, radio frequency transmitters, rides, electrical lines etc, it appears that nxdn 6.25khz, isn't bothered by all of the RF interference. Also, nxdn appears to again, be able to transmit further.

Status
Not open for further replies.