Mototrbo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I know that no scanner currently produced can decode a mototrbo system, but if I manually enter a frequency that is used with that type of system, will the scanner at least pick up 'white noise' from the system? I'm trying to determine if a motortbo system running 4 and 20 watts about 8 miles away could be picked up from my location if a mototrbo radio was acquired.

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

:)

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
You should still hear the sound of TRBO, yes. If it is a continuous signal, you're hearing a repeater whereas if you hear a fast pulsing signal, you're hearing an individual radio.

If you can hear it with a scanner, a TRBO radio will certainly pick it up.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Well, I've had my scanner scanning for about 2 hours now, and either I'm not close enough to the transmitting site or it's just not working. I haven't heard anything the entire time its been scanning. I have the modulation set to auto on my BR 330 T scanner; should I have it set on something different?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Express via "Tap-A-Talk"

Last edited:

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Maybe no one has brought up the repeater.

That is a possibility, but it's a fairly large business with over 30 radios, so you'd think someone would have keyed up by now.

I'm going to keep at it. Will be up that way this evening, so I'll only be about a mile from the site. I'll see it I hear something then if I haven't before that.

:)

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Have you checked to be sure you are listening to the repeater output and have the right frequency? You may not be close enough to hear the repeater.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

With an HAAT of only 20 feet they aren't going to go very far.

I guess I didn't see anything about HAAT, but I did find, under locations, where there is a 5KM radius from the counterpoint. I definitely fall outside that radius.

Status
Not open for further replies.