• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOTOTRBO RAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I heard that it just muted the audio. Also, how do I know if the system is using RAS?

That's not incorrect. You will not hear audio on a RAS system unless you use a scanner. The XPR will stay muted.

I don't know of any specific way to tell if it's using RAS, but if you are getting a signal but your radio will not unmute, that's more than likely waht it is.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I heard that it just muted the audio. Also, how do I know if the system is using RAS?
DSD+ can display RAS use when monitoring a DMR Repeater or Trunked System. DSD+ will not tell you the RAS key only that it is in use, we use it quite a lot around here for DMR rental repeater use.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
What will it look like on dsd plus if RAS is used?
It will say the following format.
DMR (Type of DMR, Base Station, Repeater, Etc) ColorCode, Then it will show if RAS is enabled. Con+ and Cap+ will look a little different as it will show Network ID's and sites along with linked sites but will follow the general format,

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Also, how do time slots work. Does each talkgroup have a time slot assigned to it?
A Talkgroup has to have a timeslot. TDMA is the standard used for DMR TDMA meaning Time Division Multiple Access. If we are on a freq of 147.4900 and I'm on CC 1, TS 1 and you are on the same we can talk, If I have a user group on the same frequency using the same color code but on time slot 2, we won't hear them and they won't hear us but we will be able to have a conversation without interruption. You can have 2 conversations on the same frequency at the same time divided by Timeslots. DMR is very efficient for communication.

K2NEC

If you plug a system into an XPR, and you know 1000% that the information entered is correct, and you STILL aren't decoding audio or seeing ID's, then its most likely a RAS protected system. Unless you see the key icon flashing on the radio then it's encrypted, or better yet maybe it's encrypted and has a RAS key. RAS is not encryption but the transmissions also can't be heard by radios unless you have the key. As mentioned above, DSD and most DMR scanners do pretty good however I do know that some scanners have a delay in audio because of the key. It should also be mentioned that RAS is Motorola proprietary. So in the off chance that you have legitimate access to a system and use your own radio, you MUST use a Motorola on the system, you can't use something like a TYT or Anytone(not to mention these radios don't do trunking).

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
What will happen if a XPR radio connects to a capacity plus system that has RAS. Will the radio be bricked?

No, your radio won’t get bricked. Radios do not affiliate to a Cap+ system like they do with Tier 3, Con+ or CapMax.

In fact NOTHING will happen. Your radio will do nothing at all, and it will not in mute to any traffic. If you try and transmit, your radio will bonk and not be able to access the system.

A Talkgroup has to have a timeslot. TDMA is the standard used for DMR TDMA meaning Time Division Multiple Access. If we are on a freq of 147.4900 and I'm on CC 1, TS 1 and you are on the same we can talk, If I have a user group on the same frequency using the same color code but on time slot 2, we won't hear them and they won't hear us but we will be able to have a conversation without interruption. You can have 2 conversations on the same frequency at the same time divided by Timeslots. DMR is very efficient for communication.

While you have to have a timeslot with a talk group, on all DMR trunking formats, the timeslot is dynamic. With Tier 2 conventional talkgroups are static assigned to time slots.

Also, how do time slots work. Does each talkgroup have a time slot assigned to it?

With DMR, each RF channel is divided into 2 talk paths, by using time division. These are called time slots. Subscriber radios share the RF channel by rapidly keying and unkeying very rapidly. Each transmission is about 30ms long and they alternate. The repeater keeps everything inline by providing a timing source to keep the subscribers on the correct time slot. For the trunking formats, the time slots are dynamically assigned as subscribers key up. Each title the user keys their radio, they could be using a different time slot. For Toer 2 conventional systems, the talkgroup is tied to a timeslot. Everything is static, and does not change.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Here is a picture that I took today on one of the systems here, This is what RAS looks like on a Cap+ system as displayed by DSD+.

Attachments

• 20200814_162412.jpg
    20200814_162412.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 108
Status
Not open for further replies.