• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOTOTRBO repeater, mobile & portable questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

comtech5

For the MOTOTRBO XPR8400 repeater, the sales brochure shows what appears to be a speaker grille on the front right-hand side. Is that in fact a speaker? Also, what is the best way to hardwire a local desktop mic to the repeater? Is the repeater service manual available for viewing online?
It appears that Motorola nixed the XPR6500 portable and the XPR4500 mobile non-GPS radios. What was the reason for that and approximately what date did that happen?

wkredick

I heard they discontinued non-GPS XPR to streamline production and inventory costs at /\/\, same as Analog Only XPR radios
Never seen a speaker grill on XPR Repeaters

comtech5

OK, let's try this one...For the repeater, does anyone offer a breakout cable for using local mic, local speaker and programming connections? Off of the rear accessory connector I mean.

JRayfield

The cost for the non-GPS version of the XPR mobiles and portables wasn't a lot less than the GPS models. I suspect that sales of the non-GPS units just wasn't enough to warrant having those units.

In the digital mode, there is not way to have 'local' speaker or microphone audio on the XPR8400 repeater. In the analog mode, the accessory connector has both low-level receive and transmit audio, however I don't remember if it has speaker audio or not.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

OK, let's try this one...For the repeater, does anyone offer a breakout cable for using local mic, local speaker and programming connections? Off of the rear accessory connector I mean.

comtech5

How about this for local control of XPR8400 repeater???
AVTEC SCOUT virtual console with VOIP via ethernet?
Digital Mode only, for this particular dispatch location.

Last edited:

JRayfield

Yes, that is one product that can provide voice dispatch through an XPR8400 or MTR3000 repeater, using an IP connection to the repeater.

There are a number of solutions on the market for this type of operation. The AVTEC Scout is actually quite 'pricey' as compared to a number of the others and is really a 'console system'. So if all you need is dispatch through one repeater, then some of the other products will be more 'cost effective'.

One of the most cost-effective solutions for simple 'remote dispatch' through a MOTOTRBO digital system is a "c-Bridge Controller". PM me and I'll get some information to you.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

How about this for local control of XPR8400 repeater???
AVTEC SCOUT virtual console with VOIP via ethernet?
Digital Mode only, for this particular dispatch location.

Status
Not open for further replies.