• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOTOTRBO Site IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
My job is looking to create mobile radio repeating points because of the frequency in which the sites move.
I Suggested Motorola MOTOTRBO because from my understanding Site IP works much like ROIP,

We currently use an Analog UHF with limited Coverage, and Clear Internet Cards,

I suggested we use our Clear internet cards and the current Computer configuration and combine that with Mototrbo capabilities.

Can anyone offer suggestions on that?

we have an Analog UHF FCC License

com501

IP Site Connect. You will need to license your locations as temporary FB2s, and I am assuming you have a base of operations somewhere for the master IP Site Connect repeater which will need a fixed IP address?

com501

Make sure your Clear internet card provider supports UDP or 'multicast' type operations.

JRayfield

MOTOTRBO IP Site Connect does use UDP, but multicast is not necessary (otherwise, it wouldn't work on the internet without using a VPN (which it does) since multicast packets can't moved over the internet without using a VPN.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Make sure your Clear internet card provider supports UDP or 'multicast' type operations.

com501

Many of our customers have firewalls in place that BLOCK multicast, hence the nudge to at least ask the question. Maybe their provider blocks it. Never hurts to ask.

JRayfield

Are you referring to firewalls connected to the internet, or firewalls between LAN's?

That doesn't matter anyway, since MOTOTRBO IP Site Connect doesn't use multicast.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Many of our customers have firewalls in place that BLOCK multicast, hence the nudge to at least ask the question. Maybe their provider blocks it. Never hurts to ask.

com501

Are you referring to firewalls connected to the internet, or firewalls between LAN's?

That doesn't matter anyway, since MOTOTRBO IP Site Connect doesn't use multicast.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

They block UDP and the default ports, too. And yes, both Interwebs and LANs.

And once again, it NEVER hurts to ask the provider what they block. Or, you could just hook it up and spend endless hours trying to figure out why things aren't working until you find out they blocked port 50000.:)

JRayfield

I see your point, and it's a good one. Unfortunately, any of the cellular carriers who I've asked, claimed that they didn't block ports that I knew were blocked. The only way to find out what was blocked and what was not blocked, was to try it.

So far, neither Sprint or Verizon appear to block port 50000 (at least, not in this area), although they do block other ports.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

They block UDP and the default ports, too. And yes, both Interwebs and LANs.

And once again, it NEVER hurts to ask the provider what they block. Or, you could just hook it up and spend endless hours trying to figure out why things aren't working until you find out they blocked port 50000.:)

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
Sorry it took me so long as the OP to reply, i currently am waiting a reply from Clear to see if it is possible, and then am going to move forward to modify our current infra-structure via the fcc, we have the money put aside that we have had for 2 or so years now, but it would be a big plus to have IP Connectability to these mobile sites to expand coverage our central HUB from anywhere the job sites, I hope this is a good move on our part

k4sgt

I just wanted to comment that UDP port 50000 is just the default port that Mototrbo IP site connect uses. It is easy to set the port to another one that is not blocked. As stated before, you will have to experiment to see what ports are not blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.