• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOTOTRBO Site Survey Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any luck "registering" this tool? I'm getting a CLL_SERVER_ERROR on every PC once the "demo" period expires. Motorola support won't help me, the guy I talked to said his manager told him to stop helping me since it's not supported, even though the application states "Contact Motorola Solutions".

I hate this company so much. The new technical support hoops you have to go through to get someone with less knowledge on the other end of the phone who is simply searching an internal database of answers, it's just awful.

I'm running out of laptops to install it on for drive tests.

wgbecks

Are you saying that you can't get MSI to take your money to register the program for use beyond the trial period?

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Are you saying that you can't get MSI to take your money to register the program for use beyond the trial period?

That's correct. It's supposed to be a free tool for channel partners and as such isn't supported was the line I got. Even though in the program it states to contact Motorola Solutions.

Firebuff880

So first off you really don't specify here what you are looking at / working with ?

To my knowledge there is no current Site Survey tool for MOTOTRBO although some have used the P25 tool (Voyager Kit for Coverage) with Trbo.

Lastly, lots of older software, and what I think you are looking at is at least six years old, not just MSI's is tripping on the newer Windows builds due to dot net changes.

2015 -- Your questions answered: choosing the best Roaming RSSI level

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
So first off you really don't specify here what you are looking at / working with ?

To my knowledge there is no current Site Survey tool for MOTOTRBO although some have used the P25 tool (Voyager Kit for Coverage) with Trbo.

Lastly, lots of older software, and what I think you are looking at is at least six years old, not just MSI's is tripping on the newer Windows builds due to dot net changes.

2015 -- Your questions answered: choosing the best Roaming RSSI level

I'm not sure what you're getting at. The MOTOTRBO Site Survey Tool (last updated 2016, and listed in the title of the thread) is available via MOL. I've tried installing it on Windows 7 and Windows 10 computers with the same results. I don't see why it wouldn't be "current" since it's a simple software pinging the radio and graphing the RSSI and GPS coordinates.

Firebuff880

Yep -- It's still on MOL under data tools -- There is even a Linux version..

Posted there (17 May 2016 Zip File 4MB) An has the following text attached --
"This application is available “As is” with no customer service support. Install and use at your own risk. This tool is made available for channel partners only and should not be distributed outside your organization. If you have any recommendations for enhancements or questions please contact ................" Bold by me..

Given the many changes that have occurred in Firmware and system technology since 16, I am not at all surprised it no longer works..

If you have a good GPS integration tool you can capture a lot of data off the back side of MNIS into you application and then do your own maps with Esri or another mapping tool. Otherwise, get you MSI Sales rep to open a case and fight for you. But you might be more productive tilting at a windmill.

Firebuff880

I decided I would try it this evening. Downloaded the zip file, put it on a Win 7 system with MNIS and let the installer run. The program and it's compatible Becon program both start and inbound binds with the MNIS I am running. Didn't actually turn on any radios though to see what it would do. But you get a lot of good information on the Inbound path which is the critical path in my mind when you look at LRRP inbound transactions. See example columns below from our app.

Code:
gps_time   | 2020-09-06 17:45:29-04
radio_id   | 257
rssi       | -96.3716
request_id | 52
lat        | 00.0000
lon        | -000.0000
radius     | 39.6
alt        | 2763.7
alt_acc    | 8.6
speed      | 1.7
direction  | 350
climb      | -0.4
gpio       |
gpio_delta |
raw        | \x
site       | 0
serialno   | 36056031
time       | 2020-09-24 12:44:33-04
peer_id    | 9003

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Use a tool like Regshot to see what registry changes the program makes when it installs. Just undo/delete them before a reinstall.

I've tried using an installation tracker and cleaning up all the traces it leaves behind, yet still after an uninstall and reinstall it knows it has been used.
Yep -- It's still on MOL under data tools -- There is even a Linux version..

Posted there (17 May 2016 Zip File 4MB) An has the following text attached --
"This application is available “As is” with no customer service support. Install and use at your own risk. This tool is made available for channel partners only and should not be distributed outside your organization. If you have any recommendations for enhancements or questions please contact ................" Bold by me..

Given the many changes that have occurred in Firmware and system technology since 16, I am not at all surprised it no longer works..
I think we're talking about different things. It works fantastic, I don't have an issue with how it operates. I'm not having an issue with it registering with the master repeater. It's the fact that you can only use it during the "evaluation period" and once it's over (the skip button is greyed out) there's no way to keep using it, with or without paid entitlement. I'm getting a DNS server error in Wireshark, so someone deleted something they shouldn't have. The registration is whatever sort of software protection they decided to enable and then abandon.

I'm barking up every tree I can at Moto, including my Systems Support rep to see if he knows someone who might know something.

Calling TRBO phone support is like when Ron Swanson goes to Home Depot and someone asks how they can help him... Astro on the other hand is fantastic and I've gotten bugs in firmware fixed that way (along with holding up a half million dollar contract).

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
See the comment here:

Wayne linked an updated EMEA version that the registration works on. He stated he didn't need to register, mine did (likely due to remnants of older version) but was able to register to Motorola's licensing system just fine. We're off to the races now.

Just need to spam a problem everywhere and sometimes someone in the right place sees it!

Status
Not open for further replies.