• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MotoTRBO System ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanr

A recent thread on Public Safety Pool ID requirements led me to read the Title 47 CFR part 90.425 rules on Station ID. This aroused my curiosity regarding how MotoTRBO (DMR) systems meet these rules (non Public Service Pool Systems).

As I read the rules, a DMR system must ID every 15 minutes (when active) in Analog mode via either a voice announcement or Morse Code (via audible tones). It seems that transmitting ID in digital mode would not fulfill the requirements, so do these systems change to Analog for their ID, or have I missed a part of the rules?

In simple terms, "how do MotoTRBO systems meet the ID requirements"?

trumpetman

Database Admin
Analog morse code. Same with most all other digital only stations. They can switch back temporarily to fire off a CWID and then go digital only until the next time to ID.

romanr

That makes sense is what I thought would be required. I assume that is pretty easy to accomplish with a repeater. If a system is just a base and a bunch of mobiles, I guess the base has to have an analog channel configured and switches to that channel for the ID before returning back to the digital channel. (are there any real-world DMR systems that don't have a repeater today?)

Thanks for answering my question.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I had to turn off CWID. We were getting busy signals.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That sounds like a programming error elsewhere, I wouldn't think that a CWID denies access...it doesn't on any other repeater I've used.

So, could this CWID be used on Cap+ and Con+ systems to identify the network ID?

The ID is only for the FCC call sign, it doesn't identify network or system ID.

KA5YTH

That may be. However, the dispatcher would key up calling a unit. The repeater would CWID and the answering unit would get a busy. Turned off CWID and the busy's went away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
That is the way MotoTrbo works. It identifies in analog on the same frequency. So when it is identifying it can't receive or transmit digital. Set the ID speed to the maximum to reduce the busy time.
BB

romanr

Do the MotoTRBO repeaters have the ability to store the CWID and transmit it periodically (in Analog) automatically, or is this handled by the dispatch controller (if there is such a thing with MotoTRBO)?

cmdrwill

There is a setting in other Motorola base/repeater stations for Polite or something like that so the ID will be suspended if there is traffic on the repeater. It will even interrupt the ID if a user keys.

on Public Safety Pool ID requirements the interval is 30 minutes.

JRayfield

Yes, but if a MOTOTRBO repeater has been 'idle' for over 30 minutes (or whatever the ID period is programmed for), then someone keys up the repeater, as soon as that person releases PTT (transmit), the repeater will ID. That creates a 'busy' for a person who is responding to that first 'keyup'. On an analog-only repeater, a person can 'key up' on top of the CW ID and it will interrupt the CW ID, so no problem. But once the MOTOTRBO repeater is transmitting in analog mode, there is no way to 'interrupt' the repeater until it finishes the CW ID and switches back to digital mode (or mixed mode).

John Rayfield, Jr.
W0PM

There is a setting in other Motorola base/repeater stations for Polite or something like that so the ID will be suspended if there is traffic on the repeater. It will even interrupt the ID if a user keys.

on Public Safety Pool ID requirements the interval is 30 minutes.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Yes, but if a MOTOTRBO repeater has been 'idle' for over 30 minutes (or whatever the ID period is programmed for), then someone keys up the repeater, as soon as that person releases PTT (transmit), the repeater will ID. That creates a 'busy' for a person who is responding to that first 'keyup'. On an analog-only repeater, a person can 'key up' on top of the CW ID and it will interrupt the CW ID, so no problem. But once the MOTOTRBO repeater is transmitting in analog mode, there is no way to 'interrupt' the repeater until it finishes the CW ID and switches back to digital mode (or mixed mode).

John Rayfield, Jr.
W0PM

To concur with the above, that is exactly the way that my Trbo repeater works that is connected to the MARC system. Even on local mode if I put a my call out the next PTT is blocked until the CWID is complete. Took a little bit for some of my local users, including myself, to get used to. My conventional P25 repeater does not act this way.

As a general response, in the Public Safety rules though there are "other forms" of acceptable station identification and is not limited to CWID only by the FB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.