MOTOTRBO Systems in Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I notice that the "Systems in Use" listing on the MOTOTRBO wiki page is primarily commercial users. Given the fact that more and more public safety users are migrating to MOTOTRBO, perhaps it would be a good idea to split that list into two: Commercial Users and Public Safety Users.

I think it would be nice to have some sense of the public safety users of TRBO out there, especially since it's being marketed as a quick and easy "system in a box" solution to the rapidly approaching narrowbanding mandate deadline.

D

DaveNF2G

I noticed that the City of Watervliet, NY, is not listed there. They are using TRBO for all services including police and fire.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Dave feel free to add it. Remember any member can edit just about any of the pages in the wiki. Don't wait for someone else to do it :.>>

best regards...Mike

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I don't think it's a question of us waiting for someone else to do it. My point is that the page specifically makes reference to "businesses that use MOTOTRBO", which I take to mean commercial users, not public safety users. The system is being marketed to public safety more and more, so the listing should be split into two.

In any case, this thread has been up for 24 hours and no one besides Dave has given any input or suggestions, so I'm going to go ahead and split the list into two categories.

Hey guys - does this mean adding agencies that are licensing 7K60FXD/E emissions to their license, or only the ones that are verified over the air? There are many dozens of licensees that have DMR emissions on their license. Do we add them as the licenses come out or only after the channel has the buzz on it?

That's another point, we might want to call it DMR, as these don't have to be Motorola or MOTOTRBO systems. They can be HYT/Hytera, or even Icom, Vertex, or Kenwood now. Everyone's coming out with DMR competitive systems and equipment.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Are all of these DMR radios from various vendors compatible with each other?

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
DMR yes, if it follows the EU standard with the exception of propriatary options like trunking. Nexedge wont talk to NXDN or Mototrbo. Each manufacturer has decided to play out the propriatary theme, expect the fallout of systems to be like VHS vs BetaMax. That's why Motorola has been pushing their system so much. Trying to flood the market and make it the standard.

D

DaveNF2G

Obviously Motorola never intended to comply with the P25 standard. Despite what any of them say, the big boys all want a divided marketplace where they can sell their own proprietary solutions.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Obviously Motorola never intended to comply with the P25 standard. Despite what any of them say, the big boys all want a divided marketplace where they can sell their own proprietary solutions.

Huh? Motorola ships more P25 systems than anyone else out there, and has been the industry leader as far as pushing P25 technology further. They had TDMA systems on the air well before the Phase II standard was finalized. Your statement is inaccurate, as well has nothing to do with MOTOTRBO/DMR or the subject matter of this thread.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Maybe you don't know whats going on in the real radio market, Motorola is setting up a second tier of propriatary digital systems. Name me a single manufacturer that makes a totally compatable radio that will work on a MOTOTRBO system. All the other manufacturers are doing the same, as I said in an earlier post, it's VHS vs Betamax.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Time for this thread to be closed. Unfortunately a few people have decided to derail it from my question of how to format a Wiki article, into an irrelevant debate about the specifics of proprietary systems.

Time for this thread to be closed. Unfortunately a few people have decided to derail it from my question of how to format a Wiki article, into an irrelevant debate about the specifics of proprietary systems.
Before we close it, do we want to call it DMR and do we want to list everything that has a 7K60FXE or 7K60FXD emission on the license or application (I can help with that), or do we want it to be something "heard" over the air (I can't help with that)?

AK9R

Super Moderator
This thread has probably run its course. Further debate about Motorola or digital voice systems should be taken to forums more suited to those topics.

As a reminder, every RadioReference member has permission to edit Wiki articles (except for a few key articles that are locked). If you find incorrect information in the Wiki or think the information could be presented better, please edit the article. If you are going to make wholesale changes or change the basic structure of an article, please contact me via PM to discuss what you have in mind before you start making changes.

Also remember that once logged into the Wiki, you can click on your user name (left sidebar under Personal Tools) to access your user page. I highly recommend that you use your own user page to test your Wiki editing skills or to stage information that you plan to make live.

AK9R

Super Moderator
...do we want to call it DMR...
Are all DMR radios compatible with each other? Will DMR equipment from one vendor work on a DMR system from another vendor? If so, then a name change to DMR is probably appropriate. If we decide to change the name, let me know so I can do a "Move" of the existing articles rather than copy the current information to new articles.

...and do we want to list everything that has a 7K60FXE or 7K60FXD emission on the license or application (I can help with that), or do we want it to be something "heard" over the air (I can't help with that)?
The Wiki isn't the database, so systems do not have satisfy the database verification standards in order to be listed in the Wiki. In other words, if we think the system may be MOTOTRBO (or DMR, depending on the answer to the first question), then list it in the Wiki.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This thread has probably run its course. Further debate about Motorola or digital voice systems should be taken to forums more suited to those topics.

<snip>

This thread will be closed by request of the OP. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.