• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mototrbo Volume Leveling-Gen 2 radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMR_Crazy

Has anyone tried this new feature out yet? It is a $5 entitlement key that is only sold to dealers. Seems like it would work well for ham radio where one radio blasts your ears, but the next is hard to hear. If it works as advertised, it would solve my biggest gripe about ham DMR.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Isn't this what the AGC is for? Most of the loud and soft audio problems on DMR are caused by cheap Chinese radios and poor operating practices.

jim202

Isn't this what the AGC is for? Most of the loud and soft audio problems on DMR are caused by cheap Chinese radios and poor operating practices.

The better statement should be on poorly aligned radios by the vendor. How many of you have bench tested these off shore, low cost radios right out of the box and paid any attention to the deviation and or audio settings of these radios?

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber

DING! Part of that "poor operating practices" is people not learning to build and maintain THEIR codeplug. I mentioned hot audio to a fellow on DMR tonight. His reply? "I'm not sure what's in there".

DMR_Crazy

If I understand this feature correctly, it levels the audio coming out of the speaker on your radio.

N4KVE

If I understand this feature correctly, it levels the audio coming out of the speaker on your radio.
Exactly. My friend recently put it in his XPR7550e, & swears it works. The Dollar Store radios do not have the AGC feature, so that's why their TX audio is all over the place. People begging for, & installing code plugs from unknown sources does not help the situation.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I agree, its painful at times to listen to it. I will admit im not a ham and i do want to get my license so i can try to help some of these guys out. Having worked at a 2-way shop for 8 years i learned a lot about the commercial side of things. I love radios in general but to see these lower end units flood the market just makes me cringe when i think about all the issues these low quality mass produced units can cause.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I know MANY commercial users that all complain about uneven audio on TRBO radios (and yes various AGC settings have been tested with little success). Totally disgusting that Motorola would charge to fix this, it should have been rolled into the last firmware update. I checked my MOL account and it doesn't show up... not sure if it's a provisioning thing or what. Sad thing is... if it works, I'll fork over $5 for it just because it's badly needed.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I've been running it for a couple of weeks and it's AMAZING. No more constant fiddling with the volume control.

jim202

So far there has been talk of a magic fix for poor radio audio. Until someone provides a Motorola part number to put against this fix, it's just vapor ware.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Read the release notes for the 2.7 firmware release. The part number is there. Hardly vaporware.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Received Audio Leveling
Feature developed to address varying audio levels from transmitting radios (i.e. soft vs. loud voice). Feature is available for MOTOTRBO portable radios: XPR7000 /7000e series, XPR 3000/3000e series, SL 7000/7000e series, SL300, CP200d.
Release R2.7.1/R2.7.6 Motorola Solutions Page | 7
• Rx Audio Leveling works to normalize all receive audio to a target value.
• Operates in both digital and analog mode and on all system types.
• Rx Audio Leveling will provide an observable benefit when:
° Fleet of different accessories are in use
° Transmit radio does not have an accessory (i.e. non-IMPRES AGC is active)
° Transmit radios have Tx AGC disabled
° Radio system includes multi-family / multi-vendor subscribers.
• Feature requires a license (HKVN4492A)

DMR_Crazy

I have a software only subscription. Called Motorola yesterday, after 15 minutes the rep told me it was a dealer only item.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I have this installed on several radios now and it does indeed work very nicely. I did however end up disabling it on analog as I found it made things a little too soft. I purchased the EIDs thru a dealer online for $3.50 each.

com501

This is one of those annoying feature additions that should have been added free of charge. $4? Are you kidding me? It will take the dealer and hour in labor to order the EID and the tech to install it.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Oh absolutely it should be free. It's insane that they finally fix the horrible uneven audio and charge the end user for it. This should be standard in every TRBO radio.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Can you PM me the dealer info.
I have a couple XPR7550 and XPR3500 id like to add that feature to.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Will do. I can post the dealer I used here if the mods don't have an issue with it. Basically any Moto dealer should be able to sell it to you, but I was able to just order online, pay with PayPal an had the EID a few days later.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.