MotoTRBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnjradiotech

Premium Subscriber
Being that MotoTRBO is an up and coming system that has great possibilities and is ideal for narrow band compliance issues, some towns and businesses are beginning to migrate to these systems. Currently there are no scanners that are able to monitor this "TDMA" (Time Division Multiple Access) format/technology. From Motorola Literature about MotoTRBO: "It addresses two of the primary benefits delivered by this technology: spectral efficiency and improved audio performance.".

I know personally that Stephen's Institute of Technology is using this system for their campus police. I have been told that Vernon and West Milford are using it also, can anyone confirm this?

Also, if anyone knows of other agencies on MotoTRBO can you post them here for everyone's reference. (I'm sure a DB Admin can then note it in the DB)

Thanks

chiefjohnson

Mototrbo

Lakeland Bus out of Dover (Morris) just switched to a single site (Mt Freedom-Randolph NJ) VHF Mototrbo system. They previously used a low band simplex setup previously which had it's issues. The VHF repeater setup they use now works great. Long Valley Coach out of Roxbury is in the process of switching to a UHF Mototrbo repeater off of the same site now which should work just as good.

scannersnstuff

any idea's about what site's / frequency info. for 1st responder ?. used to be uhf repeater's.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
any idea's about what site's / frequency info. for 1st responder ?. used to be uhf repeater's.

I don't know the frequencies, but they have sites in Randolph, Oxford and Independence. I also know that they will have one in Sparta soon also.

I know long term, they are hoping to link the sites over IP.

radiomanNJ1

MotoTRBO was never designed for public safety use. It is however what radio shops have to sell and they are doing what ever they can to sell anything. It locks the agency/user into MotoTRBO if it is being used in the digital mode.

Public Safety should all be on the same platform. APCO25 is the standard they should be using if they need or want to go digital.

rgv_tech

LRGV Radio Tech.
Database Admin
MotoTRBO is on the grow. Motorola now has upgraded thier MTR 2000 radios to a MTR 3000 which has MotoTRBO built in. I have read on one of the yahoo user groups that the Future of MotoTRBO will be a combination of the TDMA, P25 and Tetra technoligy. Tetra is a digital format that is highly used by the Public Safety departments in Europe. http://www.tetramou.com/

Last edited:

nnjradiotech

Premium Subscriber
MotoTRBO was never designed for public safety use. It is however what radio shops have to sell and they are doing what ever they can to sell anything. It locks the agency/user into MotoTRBO if it is being used in the digital mode.

Public Safety should all be on the same platform. APCO25 is the standard they should be using if they need or want to go digital.

I agree with this (to an extent). But, if I had a single repeater channel and had a bunch of users, I would have to go for a TRBO system to be honest. Two concurrent conversations on one licensed frequency only makes sense.

jim202

Use by and for a normal business might fit the Motorola TRBO radios, but they are a long way away
from being public safety quality. Sure they are much cheaper. Sure the radio shops are pushing
them to who ever they can make a buck from. Sure you can double the users on a single repeater
channel.

But again I say would you put your life on the line with this radio? It would not be my selection.

Jim

I agree with this (to an extent). But, if I had a single repeater channel and had a bunch of users, I would have to go for a TRBO system to be honest. Two concurrent conversations on one licensed frequency only makes sense.

N

N_Jay

. . . . I have read on one of the yahoo user groups that the Future of MotoTRBO will be a combination of the TDMA, P25 and Tetra technoligy.
Sounds like a comment from someone who does not understand everything he thinks he knows.
Sorry.

. . Tetra is a digital format that is highly used by the Public Safety departments in Europe. Terrestial Trunked Radio, radio communication standards, tetra private digital mobile radio pmr
Yes but TETRA is NOT MotoTRBO, and MotoTRBO is not TRTEA.

nnjradiotech

Premium Subscriber
Use by and for a normal business might fit the Motorola TRBO radios, but they are a long way away
from being public safety quality. Sure they are much cheaper. Sure the radio shops are pushing
them to who ever they can make a buck from. Sure you can double the users on a single repeater
channel.

But again I say would you put your life on the line with this radio? It would not be my selection.

Jim

1. "Public Safety Quality"? Have you actually had a chance to use any of these radios? The mobiles are comparable quality to any CDM. And the 6550's are comparable to any FKP HT1250. I know they aren't XTS quality, but let's get real, most /\/\ using towns/counties use cdm/ht's.

2. "...much cheaper"? Is this a guess or an informed statement. I just verified this info on MOL, "like" models, FKP, comparible mobiles, etc are within about $50. This is both list and dealer cost. So, "MUCH" cheaper is false.

3. Yes, some radio shops are just looking to "make a buck", but that is where the consumer needs to know the product, the prices and the service that is backed by Motorola. There are PLENTY of radio shops that are more then happy to work with the consumer. Volume sales are usually more important then making a buck when it comes to being a /\/\ authorized dealer. Keeping volume up keeps dealer cost down and the incentives to the dealers flowing in.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Red Bull Soccer in Harrison NJ is using this new MotoTRBO system on UHF. I was at a meeting today where I heard some transmissions over there system it sounded terrible you could hardly understand what the person on the other end was communicating also the Motorola Radio he was using looked like something that you would use for FRS or your kids fisher price walkie talkies.

Last edited by a moderator:

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Red Bull Soccer in Harrison NJ is using this new MotoTRBO system on UHF. I was at a meeting today where I heard some transmissions over there system it sounded terrible you could hardly understand what the person on the other end was communicating also the Motorola Radio he was using looked like something that you would use for FRS or your kids fisher price walkie talkies.

That's amazing. Seems like their system wasn't set up right.

The TRBO i've heard is crystal clear and gets better range then the analog that used to operate off the same tower.

Sounds like the RedBull folks need to go back to their vendor.

mondaro

Feed Provider
The vendor is the same one with set up the NJ Highway Authority radio system, which is enough said.
No way was the system in the clear at least not theres. also i think the last thing on there mind now is there radio system they have much bigger issues on the table.

Tony

Raccon

Sounds like a comment from someone who does not understand everything he thinks he knows.
Sorry.
And neither are you as smart as you pretend to be. He didn't say he thinks or knows that, he said that he read that. Can you prove him wrong on that?

Yes but TETRA is NOT MotoTRBO, and MotoTRBO is not TRTEA.
Which he never stated ...

BTW: here is nothing humorous about your post (or any other of your's for that matter) nor is there anything in vrc_tech's post to misunderstand, so I guess your post must be interpreted as insult, as you state in your own signature.

robbinsj2

And neither are you as smart as you pretend to be. He didn't say he thinks or knows that, he said that he read that. Can you prove him wrong on that?
N_Jay's comment seemed to be in response to that Yahoo Group post which vrc_tech read and cited, not to something which vrc_tech put forth. N_Jay then expressed apologies for vrc_tech having gotten the bad information.

Back to the topic at hand: not public safety per se but East Windsor Regional School District's new-ish channel sounds like MotoTRBO, I can't tell whether it's 1 or 2 channels over the repeated frequency. The buses disappeared from their old channel.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.