Mount extendable fiberglass mast to vinyl siding

Status
Not open for further replies.

dervari

Premium Subscriber
I am moving in with my fiancee and her house has vinyl siding. I want to put up a 38' Max Gain extendable mast for a Diamond X30 VHF antenna and maybe OTA TV.

I plan on concreting in an 8ft section of angle iron 3-4ft deep and securing the antenna to the base. I still need some support higher up. If I mount some small horizontal 2x4s to the outside of the vinyl via the interior studs supporting the vinyl, would that work to use wall mount brackets? I'm trying to avoid guy ropes.

Thanks for any advice!

prcguy

I would not rely on siding for any structural support. I would find a stud either side of where you want to put the mast then use a 2X4 or similar long enough to reach the two studs then lag through the siding into the studs to hold the 2X4. Then use a good method to secure the mast to the 2X4.

Is there any roof overhang? There typically is and you can get brackets that will mount to some part of the overhang that has a U clamp to hold a mast.

I am moving in with my fiancee and her house has vinyl siding. I want to put up a 38' Max Gain extendable mast for a Diamond X30 VHF antenna and maybe OTA TV.

I plan on concreting in an 8ft section of angle iron 3-4ft deep and securing the antenna to the base. I still need some support higher up. If I mount some small horizontal 2x4s to the outside of the vinyl via the interior studs supporting the vinyl, would that work to use wall mount brackets? I'm trying to avoid guy ropes.

Thanks for any advice!

dervari

Premium Subscriber
I would not rely on siding for any structural support. I would find a stud either side of where you want to put the mast then use a 2X4 or similar long enough to reach the two studs then lag through the siding into the studs to hold the 2X4. Then use a good method to secure the mast to the 2X4.

Is there any roof overhang? There typically is and you can get brackets that will mount to some part of the overhang that has a U clamp to hold a mast.

That's exactly what I was talking about, but you said it more eloquently than me. :) Use a stud to mount the small 2x4s and then mount the offset antenna wall bracket to it.

There is an overhang, but I would feel more secure with at least two supports higher up from the angle iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.