mount olive fire going digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic9351301

Banned
according to a ff i spoke with today he advised me that by the end of the week this depart. will be going to a digi vhf repeater system he advised me that falcon wireless had the contract he said the spacing is going to be 6.25

rbryant2

It will be interesting to see how their experience goes. Digital radio systems have been getting some bad reviews in the Fire service press due to problems (real or perceived) with firefighters experiencing unintelligible audio communications. Several factors have been discussed as contributing to the problem, among them interference from PASS devices and high levels of background noise on the fireground. The International Association of Fire Chiefs is currently studying the problem. See the advisory at http://www.iafc.org/displayindustryarticle.cfm?articlenbr=33118 or google "firefighter digital radio problems" if you're interested.

Enough of my ramble.....Mt Olive Fire Department appears to have been issued several new "narrowband" frequencies a few months ago by the FCC. They are licensed for a repeater with an output frequency of 154.8225 MHz and an additional mobile only frequency of 159.0225 MHz (one would assume that this is the input frequency)

medic9351301

Banned
mt.olive

amen: i agree why do they have to go dig i would think that they would use the county system since everybody around them are on the city/county trs.

i have been trying to get in contact with falcon direct to ask if i would be monitored they have told me no.
but i just wonder.

a ff told me there were six freqs:according to uls they are 154.130,154.8225,158.880,159.0225
he seemed to think this would not be a trunked system just stand alone vhf dig repeater according to this ff and falcon direct this system has 6.25 spacing

if it anit broke dont fix it

claybarnes

Showing my ignorance

Ok, since MOFD is going digital, and they will not be on Jeffco's trunked system how will we monitor them on our digital scanners? I'm sounding dumb here, but what is a vhf digital repeater?

Thanks,

Clay.

medic9351301

Banned
mount olive fire

according to the chief it can not be monitored what kind of radio do u have

dave911

Premium Subscriber
The 117th ANG Security is VHF digital and I can monitor them. I wonder if the same people that told Birmingham that no one would be able to hear them told MOFD the same thing? That's why a few of the news outlets (not all of them... Bob) purchased radios from the city for $6,000 rather than a $500 scanner. Oooops

rjviola12

Dave, that reminds me of the "gamble" that Bob Sims took with the news. Sure is hard to understand paying for an expensive radio that has limits, to the scanner. Also what is the talk group for the 117th?
Birmingham or Jefferson County??

dave911

Premium Subscriber
Dave, that reminds me of the "gamble" that Bob Sims took with the news. Sure is hard to understand paying for an expensive radio that has limits, to the scanner. Also what is the talk group for the 117th?
Birmingham or Jefferson County??

That's who I was referring to. :lol: The 117th Security is 163.490 and 164.100

Status
Not open for further replies.