• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mount order for spring + quick disconnect + antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

theboyk

I have two different length Firestik antennas (3' for day-to-day use; only length I can leave mounted but still get in the garage; and a 5' for when I'm on the road). Decided to pick up a pair of the quick disconnects so I don't need to break out the tools each time I switch between the antennas. I also have a heavy duty spring (as I'm often on fire roads with heavy trees coverage and other obstructions). Anyway, I'm wondering if there's a "proper" mount order in terms of the spring/quick disconnects? Here's what I'm hoping to do (so I can leave the spring mounted all the time):

antenna mount > spring > quick disconnect > antenna

That way, the spring is alway in play. Any issues with this?

(And yeah, definitely going to re-tune both antennas after adding the quick disconnect into the mix.)

Thanks!

slowmover

Mount — QD — Spring — Antenna

Is how I did it when headed in a suspension-lifted Peterbilt to remote, back-country oil-drilling rig sites miles & miles off paved road. (A stainless QD heavier than a spring; each antenna needs its own spring and QD-half).

Spring isn’t “necessary”, IMO, and having two devices between antenna and mount is likelier to reduce antenna sensitivity.

Now, you’re running a liquid tanker as I was after oil-field and stopping in the middle of the road with 4-ways blinking and brakes set to lower windows and bring antennas inside due to low clearances ahead at the shipper or receivers entrance, it’s worth the trouble. Backing up traffic for only a moment versus a few minutes.

Antennas sold retail have give built-in.

Now, as to antenna height:

Top performance = doing what one can to overcome the deficient radio systems of others. Run antennas to at least 12’ total height and preferably to 14’. There’s a performance loss with low total height.

I have 7’ Skipshooters on the Kenworth. A back-up pair of 6’. When I’ve substituted the 6’ there’s an obvious performance reduction coupled to shorter (mainly due to 13’2” van trailer).

Cars & pickups one wants vehicle-center antenna and (likely best) equivalent to 9’ quarter-wave whip would be a (7’) single-coil PREDATOR on 27” shaft. (Many heights available in that line of components).

Three-foot pretty much worthless, IMO. Five-foot a minimum as rule of thumb. (Want to go the Larsen route just don’t expect much for distance).

— Mobile comms for use on AM-19 one encounters difficult conditions regularly and poor radio systems all at the same time; the times it may matter the most to you. Total Height + Antenna Length BOTH matter.

Put your real focus on the antenna mount (and the complete Coax System). Antennas are just a component one swaps in/out.

My pickup has antennas stowed aboard reaching from 5’ to 9’. A cheap or expensive one, I’ll still take a moment to unscrew it if I’m going to be away from the truck (out of sight) for any length of time. 12’ around town isn’t any problem. 14’ on the highway. (Trees are trimmed to 15’ for emergency vehicles; stay out of right lane, etc).

QD and/or spring is marginal utility. HUSTLER or BREEDLOVE QD the only ones worth having.

Last edited:

slowmover

Is this on that Subaru Crosstrek? (Reference to your other thread).

A permanent antenna mount is going to be your “best” solution versus what many of us try: band-aids and half-measures.

Laird NMO27 on their permanent NMO-mount will handle what you want for clearance (understanding that it’s highway-compromised versus best possible; still potentially better than most other radio rigs encountered).

Read up on that subject (brand AND model).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.