Mountain Home Fire Getting Tri-Band Radios WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc2142

Feed Provider
What does this mean? I host the fire feed for Mountain Home, Does this mean the feed will no longer work, Or does it just mean they are getting new radios?
88969926_2811000595645471_2825296566108028928_o.jpg

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It means that they're applying for a federal grant to purchase new radios that are capable of operating on VHF, UHF, and 7/800. Makes sense, given that they operate on VHF, the MHPD operates on UHF, and they have a 700 MHz ICAWIN site right in their backyard.

(Edited: clarified that it's merely an application at this point)

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll point out that it means they are going to apply for the FEMA grant to offset the cost of the radios. If they get the grant, and they come up with the rest of the money, they'll probably get some multiband radios.

And there's several options, Motorola, Harris, BK, etc.

Not XTS series, those are single band portables.

sc2142

Feed Provider
I'll point out that it means they are going to apply for the FEMA grant to offset the cost of the radios. If they get the grant, and they come up with the rest of the money, they'll probably get some multiband radios.

And there's several options, Motorola, Harris, BK, etc.

Not XTS series, those are single band portables.
If the grant IS approved and they get the radios, what are the odds that they go encrypted?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If the grant IS approved and they get the radios, what are the odds that they go encrypted?

Well, I have no idea, but I suspect that the reason they want tri-band radios is for interoperability with other agencies, as GTR8000 said. If they were going to go encrypted, they'd need to replace all their radio equipment. Even with grant funding, that's expensive.

In other words, I don't know.

mancow

Database Admin
It means as usual fire ems gets grants and leo gets ****. lol

So now they get to spend 3x your tax money to communicate when a properly designed system would oprate within one band.

ecps92

LEO get the same access to grants
It means as usual fire ems gets grants and leo gets ****. lol

So now they get to spend 3x your tax money to communicate when a properly designed system would oprate within one band.

jrtl92

Premium Subscriber
Well, I have no idea, but I suspect that the reason they want tri-band radios is for interoperability with other agencies, as GTR8000 said. If they were going to go encrypted, they'd need to replace all their radio equipment. Even with grant funding, that's expensive.

In other words, I don't know.

This is exactly what happened in Ada and Canyon counties about 10 years ago. Went from Analog UHF to 100% 700MHz, even fire. Miss the good old days of Ada county/Meridian on 460.4500 and being able to actually monitor Canyon county LE :cry:

jrtl92

Premium Subscriber
I see in the DB Mtn Home police have a frequency 453.2250. I hear what i believe to be their city units sharing the same frequency as Elmore County. Im in another county so i may not be close enough to hear if there IS anything on that frequency, but I wonder if theyre splitting them and possibly going DMR or some other low power digital variety.

So far this 453mhz frequency is silent but it is labeled as mh police dispatch. could be theyre sadly putting the trusty old analog system to sleep. Theyve been using 460.4750 as long as i can remember(at least as far back as 2005)

They may also be planning to cross patch to ICAWIN, as Owyhee county does on 460.5000 and ICAWIN TG 37000

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
It is quite common for more rural counties to combine city and county dispatch activities under one frequency(usually the county freq). Its a money saving thing with only one dispatcher required. The unused frequency just goes silent unless an emergency arises that requires the unused frequency to be used. Or the unused frequency is sometimes used as a talk or secondary channel.

jrtl92

Premium Subscriber
Thats possible also. Thats what Ada county does with Meridian pd on the same channel. Guess only time will tell with these tri-band radios. They may be for interoperability with Ada and Owyhee counties who use p25. Would make sense since Elmore has a p25 tower, they just dont use it

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
I think the Elmore County (Bennett Mtn) Transmitter was built by the state primarily for p25 coverage of I84 between the Twin Falls area and the Boise area. One of the goals of the ICAWIN system was to help provide complete p25 coverage of I84/I86 from Eastern to Western Idaho. I don't think Elmore County was ever able to afford P25 radios, even though they had a transmitter. That transmitter, I think, is licensed to the state.

jrtl92

Premium Subscriber
I think the Elmore County (Bennett Mtn) Transmitter was built by the state primarily for p25 coverage of I84 between the Twin Falls area and the Boise area. One of the goals of the ICAWIN system was to help provide complete p25 coverage of I84/I86 from Eastern to Western Idaho. I don't think Elmore County was ever able to afford P25 radios, even though they had a transmitter. That transmitter, I think, is licensed to the state.

Im surprised Owyhee county could afford p25 with Encryption. Elmore isnt that flush with cash, but id imagine moreso than Owyhee

sc2142

Feed Provider
I see in the DB Mtn Home police have a frequency 453.2250. I hear what i believe to be their city units sharing the same frequency as Elmore County. Im in another county so i may not be close enough to hear if there IS anything on that frequency, but I wonder if theyre splitting them and possibly going DMR or some other low power digital variety.

So far this 453mhz frequency is silent but it is labeled as mh police dispatch. could be theyre sadly putting the trusty old analog system to sleep. Theyve been using 460.4750 as long as i can remember(at least as far back as 2005)

They may also be planning to cross patch to ICAWIN, as Owyhee county does on 460.5000 and ICAWIN TG 37000
That 453 freq has been listed on the radiorefrence freq site since i started broadcasting the feed back in 2012ish. It has been quiet since then. Elmore County units share there freq with MH City units for as long as i could remember. The MH City units have a E-911 building here but its not in use for E-911, I beleive it was at one point but then they started sharing freq's with ECSO.

jrtl92

Premium Subscriber
That 453 freq has been listed on the radiorefrence freq site since i started broadcasting the feed back in 2012ish. It has been quiet since then. Elmore County units share there freq with MH City units for as long as i could remember. The MH City units have a E-911 building here but its not in use for E-911, I beleive it was at one point but then they started sharing freq's with ECSO.

Are you able to get SIRCOMM(magic valley area) frequencies down in that area? Wish someone had a stream for it as theres tons of wide open analog down there!

Status
Not open for further replies.